i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Question?

"V4L" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Well, let's see.
    You can finish your degree, risk injury, and get a drone job or you can make millions playing a game and pick up your degree later.
    I would go with playing a game for millions of dollars, that only comes up once and you can always go back to school and finish the degree.
    Who makes millions?
    The top-10 guys?

What about the guy who leaves early, is drafted in the 4th round, signs for the rookie minimum and then is cut, never to be heard from again in the NFL.
    He's fucked.

As Mars said - every situation is unique.
    But, my personal feeling is, the vast majority of guys who leave early do NOT pan out and they would be better served by having a college degree - assuming they actually study to get it.

=Z=
    It's really not that difficult to go back to school, you just do it.
    He's not fucked if he gets cut, he goes back to school.
    Of course everyone's situation is unique, if someone thinks they're a superhero and they are not maybe that is just the reality check they need so they can go back to school and get a degree in something that is actually marketable.

+1

Being cut is not the end of the world, they would be accepted back to school easily and would just continue their degree

Or if football is still in their blood.. CFL.. Still would pay more then most families make in a year

you think so?

Minimum salaries in the CFL this year are $30,000 for rookies and $32,000 for veterans. The minimum increases to $35,000 next year as a result of the CFL’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The average CFL salary is about $45,000 Canadian.

Starters, excluding quarterbacks, can command anywhere between $60,000 and $120,000, depending on their position. Quarterbacks are generally the highest-paid players, making between $150,000 and $300,000.
    http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/archives/2005/11/how-much-do-cfl-players-make.html

$45000 isn't chump change, but its certainly not enough for you to be set for life on.
    Lots of CFL players have other jobs, because they can't live as comfortably as they'd like to off of the $30000 they're making.
    Depends on the position though, obviously.

another tidbit you might like
    Before joining the CFL, Edmonton quarterback Ricky Ray was delivering Frito Lay potato chips for $43,000 U.S. a year - more than he’s made in Edmonton this year. That’s just plain sad.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Well, let's see.
    You can finish your degree, risk injury, and get a drone job or you can make millions playing a game and pick up your degree later.
    I would go with playing a game for millions of dollars, that only comes up once and you can always go back to school and finish the degree.
    Who makes millions?
    The top-10 guys?

What about the guy who leaves early, is drafted in the 4th round, signs for the rookie minimum and then is cut, never to be heard from again in the NFL.
    He's fucked.

But, my personal feeling is, the vast majority of guys who leave early do NOT pan out and they would be better served by having a college degree - assuming they actually study to get it.

=Z=
    Of course everyone's situation is unique, if someone thinks they're a superhero and they are not maybe that is just the reality check they need so they can go back to school and get a degree in something that is actually marketable.

+1

Being cut is not the end of the world, they would be accepted back to school easily and would just continue their degree

Or if football is still in their blood.. CFL.. Still would pay more then most families make in a year

you think so?

Minimum salaries in the CFL this year are $30,000 for rookies and $32,000 for veterans. The minimum increases to $35,000 next year as a result of the CFL’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The average CFL salary is about $45,000 Canadian.

Starters, excluding quarterbacks, can command anywhere between $60,000 and $120,000, depending on their position. Quarterbacks are generally the highest-paid players, making between $150,000 and $300,000.
    http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/archives/2005/11/how-much-do-cfl-players-make.html

$45000 isn't chump change, but its certainly not enough for you to be set for life on.
    Lots of CFL players have other jobs, because they can't live as comfortably as they'd like to off of the $30000 they're making.
    Depends on the position though, obviously.

another tidbit you might like
    Before joining the CFL, Edmonton quarterback Ricky Ray was delivering Frito Lay potato chips for $43,000 U.S. a year - more than he’s made in Edmonton this year. That’s just plain sad.

Well of course you can make more money doing other things

But if you are married and have a wife and she makes atleast 20 K a year.. 55 k+ a year is more then enough to get you a decent house and be able to pay rent and eat and have some fun

My family makes 30 K total and they are fine

A truck driver makes damn good money so yes.. 45 K is pretty good

But I said IF YOU want to play football.. You can make good money.. I dont remember what the average family income is.. Maybe with a wife if would definitley top it.. Maybe even without it it may be.. I believe the average family makes around 40-45 K a year

And if you are a starter making between 60-120 K.. That's more then enough.. Not NFL money.. But if you want to play football and make money.. It's not a bad route

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Lets not kid ourselves here.......

Every kid that enters college has aspirations of getting a education that allows him to get a damn good job.
    Just so happens that a large percentage of those kids that enter college and play collegiat ball are there to get a education that allows them to get a job at the pro level.

If said kid has risen high enough in the eyes of the NFL scouts who then convince thier bosses that said kid is good enough to draft, the kid has successfully graduated from his studies of choice, football for this discussion.

Now said kid could stick around and get his masters degree in NFL Football play thereby increasing his worth and chances of success but why should he if there is a risk that he might not graduate (gets injured/has a bad year statistically).

The only thing that keeps the kid there is a Collegiate Coach who convinces him that he should stay as it will increase his pay level when in fact all that is doing is helping to ensure the collegiate coaches program will continue to win and keep him (the coach) in a job.

The other aspect to this is the money stuff that rolls around in the background on these cats who are basically playing for free as they get thier education (to play at the next level). Shamefull how these kids are taken advantage of based on the numbers that are moved around.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Depends on the sport. Football. Yes They need time to adjust to the another level of the sport. There are kids that may be good in HS but they are no way near the speed or even have the physical or mental toughness to survive. Basketball on teh other hand is completely different. There are and continue to be players that are pro ready straight from HS. However I do think that there should be a minimum
    amount of time a player should have to wait to turn pro. I ahev debate how long but I think that there should be a time set.

"Garland" wrote:
    Depends on the sport. Football. Yes They need time to adjust to the another level of the sport. There are kids that may be good in HS but they are no way near the speed or even have the physical or mental toughness to survive. Basketball on teh other hand is completely different. There are and continue to be players that are pro ready straight from HS. However I do think that there should be a minimum
    amount of time a player should have to wait to turn pro. I ahev debate how long but I think that there should be a time set.
    For this disuscussion, lets assume the kid has done good enough to garner a top ten pick or, for that matter, a first round draft pick.

Doesn't that equate to the possibility that he has learned about as much as he can at the collegiate level?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Well, let's see.
    Who makes millions?
    The top-10 guys?

He's fucked.

And how, without an athletic scholarship (since he had to give his up to declare for the draft), do you propose this young man pays for college?

Hell - honestly - w/out the athletic skills, do you think most of these guys would QUALIFY for college, let alone be accepted?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Marrdro" wrote:

Every kid that enters college has aspirations of getting a education that allows him to get a damn good job.
    Just so happens that a large percentage of those kids that enter college and play collegiat ball are there to get a education that allows them to get a job at the pro level.

If said kid has risen high enough in the eyes of the NFL scouts who then convince thier bosses that said kid is good enough to draft, the kid has successfully graduated from his studies of choice, football for this discussion.

Now said kid could stick around and get his masters degree in NFL Football play thereby increasing his worth and chances of success but why should he if there is a risk that he might not graduate (gets injured/has a bad year statistically).

The only thing that keeps the kid there is a Collegiate Coach who convinces him that he should stay as it will increase his pay level when in fact all that is doing is helping to ensure the collegiate coaches program will continue to win and keep him (the coach) in a job.

The other aspect to this is the money stuff that rolls around in the background on these cats who are basically playing for free as they get thier education (to play at the next level). Shamefull how these kids are taken advantage of based on the numbers that are moved around.
    What should keep the kid there is the FREE EDUCATION he should be getting in something OTHER than football.
    What is the percentage of Div-I football players who get jobs in the NFL?
    1%?

=Z=

"V4L" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Well, let's see.
    Who makes millions?
    The top-10 guys?

He's fucked.

+1

I call bullshit on the "they would be accepted back to school easily" remark.

The reality is that these "student"-athletes are athletes first, students second.
    And to just assume that the school would accept them back once their use as an athelete is no longer there is a tad naive.

=Z=

Big Matt is offline Starter

lets face it, If you are projected as a top ten or even first round pick, chances are you are not at school to get a degree anyway!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Every kid that enters college has aspirations of getting a education that allows him to get a gol 'darnit good job.

What should keep the kid there is the FREE EDUCATION he should be getting in something OTHER than football.
    What is the percentage of Div-I football players who get jobs in the NFL?
    1%?

=Z=
    How many Div-I kids qualify for the discussion we are having?
    For this discussion we are only talking about the top picks (possibly just the first round).

If I was a Div I kid I would stay in and get my education as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast