Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Question?

Some of these guys are just too dumb to stay in school, all they know how to do is play sports.

Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Some of these guys are just too dumb to stay in school, all they know how to do is play sports.
    Or finace illegal dog fighting operations.
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Go to the draft if you are going to make money. If staying in school can end up getting you drafted higher, than stay in school. Injuries happen and if you can go to the draft, do it.
    Also, if football was just the way of getting you into school and paying for in, then heck yes stay in school. Football is not always the priority of the athletes.
    We're bringing purple back.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Well, let's see.
    You can finish your degree, risk injury, and get a drone job or you can make millions playing a game and pick up your degree later.
    I would go with playing a game for millions of dollars, that only comes up once and you can always go back to school and finish the degree.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    Well, let's see.
    You can finish your degree, risk injury, and get a drone job or you can make millions playing a game and pick up your degree later.
    I would go with playing a game for millions of dollars, that only comes up once and you can always go back to school and finish the degree.
    Who makes millions?
    The top-10 guys?

What about the guy who leaves early, is drafted in the 4th round, signs for the rookie minimum and then is cut, never to be heard from again in the NFL.
    He's fucked.

As Mars said - every situation is unique.
    But, my personal feeling is, the vast majority of guys who leave early do NOT pan out and they would be better served by having a college degree - assuming they actually study to get it.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Big Matt is offline Starter

really depends where you are going to go in the draft. If your'e a first rounder then I would say go for it. The signing bonus and up front money you are likely to get could be worth it.
    If you are going to go in the lower rounds..stay in school.

but all people and situations are different. ;D

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    Well, let's see.
    I agree 100% with Prophet.

I think it makes more sense to go and earn your money and then go back and finish your degree. It makes no sense to me why a guy like Sam Bradford would stay in school. He'd be a top 10 pick, a multi-millionaire, get to play quarterback in the NFL and then still have the freedom to go back and finish school whenever he wanted.

Now, the marginal guys....the 4th, 5th, 6th rounders....I think it makes more sense for them to stay in school and try to improve their draft position and finish their degree.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It always depends on the situation and the athlete, but IMHO I would rather see them get a degree first before becoming eligible for the draft.
    I have no real justification for it - I realize that they can always go back to earn their degree if they don't make it, and I realize that degrees earned do not necessarily make them a better player.
    But I place a high value on education, and it is just the way I feel.

Put it this way - I am not going to condemn anyone for leaving college early to enter the draft.
    But if anyone I know is considering it, I would do my best to convince them to finish their degree first.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Well, let's see.
    Who makes millions?
    The top-10 guys?

What about the guy who leaves early, is drafted in the 4th round, signs for the rookie minimum and then is cut, never to be heard from again in the NFL.
    He's fucked.

But, my personal feeling is, the vast majority of guys who leave early do NOT pan out and they would be better served by having a college degree - assuming they actually study to get it.

=Z=
    It's really not that difficult to go back to school, you just do it.
    He's not fucked if he gets cut, he goes back to school.
    Of course everyone's situation is unique, if someone thinks they're a superhero and they are not maybe that is just the reality check they need so they can go back to school and get a degree in something that is actually marketable.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Well, let's see.
    Who makes millions?
    The top-10 guys?

He's fucked.

=Z=
    It's really not that difficult to go back to school, you just do it.
    He's not fucked if he gets cut, he goes back to school.
    Of course everyone's situation is unique, if someone thinks they're a superhero and they are not maybe that is just the reality check they need so they can go back to school and get a degree in something that is actually marketable.

+1

Being cut is not the end of the world, they would be accepted back to school easily and would just continue their degree

Or if football is still in their blood.. CFL.. Still would pay more then most families make in a year

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast