Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re:Putting a Value on Explosive Plays,

gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    What bothers me most about the explosive plays are the accompanying crotch sniffers that follow the 'throw it deep' mentality.
    No shit.

If only those dumbasses would realize the whole genius behind run, run, throw a 4 yard pass on 3rd and long and the ensuing punt mentality. That is where all the cool kids hang out.

Losers.
    Throw to Tahi, that's the ticket to winning!!!
    He might actually hold on to the ball, though.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Putting a Value on Explosive Plays, and Why Brandon Marshall Is a Dolphin
    Don't let the title fool you. This is a very good article on Explosive plays via the ground and air.
    ...An explosive play is commonly defined as a run of 12 yards or longer, or a pass of 20 yards or longer...
    You seem to readily accept this, however, when the discussion turns to Favre you say a deep pass is over 40 yds.

I agree with overlord that the run and pass should be the same. As long as it is consistently done one way or the other it doesn't matter. I wonder what the statistics say when you use anything over 10 yds regardless of whether it was in the air or on the ground. They both move the chains.

What bothers me most about the explosive plays are the accompanying crotch sniffers that follow the 'throw it deep' mentality.
    Three things......

First: I didn't write the article, just said it was worth a read.

Second: I didn't define 40 yds as a deep pass statistic, the NFL did when they started to track it on thier web page.

Third: This is a Explosive Play discussion, not a deep ball discussion. :P

Actually, now that I think about it, does it really make sense that an explosive run should be only 12 yards while a pass has to be 20 yards?
    I think the specified yards has more to do with what it does to a defense confidence/approach vice actual yards gained.

Although a 20 yard pass play will get at a defense, running it for over 10 yards a gash, will have a more negative impact on the defenses head than a 20 yard pass.

Especially if you can keep pounding the rock like that all game.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gagarr wrote:

The article makes sense, but it didn't address is D's that prevent explosive plays, which requires good DB's and sure tackling, which the Vikes still struggle with in the secondary.
    If only it was solely on the DB's heads.........

In most instances, a DLmen, followed by a LB'r have a shot to make the play long before the DB does.

What is more important that the DB's, is a good DL that can get pressure all by itself without help from the second and third layers of defense.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Marrdro wrote:
    Actually, now that I think about it, does it really make sense that an explosive run should be only 12 yards while a pass has to be 20 yards?
    I think the specified yards has more to do with what it does to a defense confidence/approach vice actual yards gained.

Although a 20 yard pass play will get at a defense, running it for over 10 yards a gash, will have a more negative impact on the defenses head than a 20 yard pass.

Pass completion average is around 60%, take that times 20yd and you get your 12 for run. Doesn't completely fly with me, but it does explain it.

30 passes in a game, 18 completions, 6 of them over 20
    kind of equates to,
    30 runs in a game, 30 executed, 10 of them over 12

I know, pretty weak, but it gets me past it.

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Pass completion average is around 60%, take that times 20yd and you get your 12 for run. Doesn't completely fly with me, but it does explain it.

30 passes in a game, 18 completions, 6 of them over 20
    kind of equates to,
    30 runs in a game, 30 executed, 10 of them over 12

I know, pretty weak, but it gets me past it.
    LOL, weak my ass, you put more thought into it than I did.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Purple Floyd wrote:
    No shit.

If only those dumbasses would realize the whole genius behind run, run, throw a 4 yard pass on 3rd and long and the ensuing punt mentality. That is where all the cool kids hang out.

Losers.
    Yeah, those pups that wear the jersey of their favorite explosive player and change their allegiances based on where that player plays. They have a command of the intricacies of the game and should be given box seats by the feds. A true honor to be in their presence.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12