Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Putting a Value on Explosive Plays,

Putting a Value on Explosive Plays, and Why Brandon Marshall Is a Dolphin
    Don't let the title fool you. This is a very good article on Explosive plays via the ground and air.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Putting a Value on Explosive Plays,

That was an awesome article.

Everyone here should read that. I'll definitely be keeping track of the Fox-Tox statistic next season.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Putting a Value on Explosive Plays,

Fun read. Personally, I would rather have zero explosive plays and a stout defense. Both would be nice though.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

It was a good article. I think Billick is on to something here, as much as it pains me to admit (not a fan of the guy).

What they need now is a statistician to take a look at these numbers over the course of several seasons and see if any categories deserve more weight than the others. I have a hard time believing off the top of my head that a 15 yard run has the same impact on a game as an interception.

Actually, now that I think about it, does it really make sense that an explosive run should be only 12 yards while a pass has to be 20 yards? You're in the same position after a run play or a pass play if it went for the same amount of yards. Maybe it says something about how the team is playing overall? That's another thing I would want to know then, what is the optimum yardage for deciding what constitutes an 'explosive play' and should it really be different for run and pass plays?

Reading that back, I guess there's something to be said for keeping it simple.

In any case, the Vikes defense needs to figure out how to not give up 57 explosive plays next season. Maybe they'll try letting the safeties tackle?

Prophet wrote:
    Personally, I would rather have zero explosive plays and a stout defense.
    I would definitely be up for zero explosive plays and a stout beer.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Good read....very interesting.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Don't let the title fool you. This is a very good article on Explosive plays via the ground and air.
    ...An explosive play is commonly defined as a run of 12 yards or longer, or a pass of 20 yards or longer...
    You seem to readily accept this, however, when the discussion turns to Favre you say a deep pass is over 40 yds.

I agree with overlord that the run and pass should be the same. As long as it is consistently done one way or the other it doesn't matter. I wonder what the statistics say when you use anything over 10 yds regardless of whether it was in the air or on the ground. They both move the chains.

What bothers me most about the explosive plays are the accompanying crotch sniffers that follow the 'throw it deep' mentality.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Prophet wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ...An explosive play is commonly defined as a run of 12 yards or longer, or a pass of 20 yards or longer...
    You seem to readily accept this, however, when the discussion turns to Favre you say a deep pass is over 40 yds.

I agree with overlord that the run and pass should be the same. As long as it is consistently done one way or the other it doesn't matter. I wonder what the statistics say when you use anything over 10 yds regardless of whether it was in the air or on the ground. They both move the chains.

What bothers me most about the explosive plays are the accompanying crotch sniffers that follow the 'throw it deep' mentality.
    I think the 20yd to 12yd plays has to do with pass completions versus runs for no gain or loss and risk of fumble to INT. Also, the pass doesn't have to be for 20 yds, you can pass for 4 and add on 16 YACs.

Thus, the throw deep mentality isn't necessary for an explosive play.

That said I still think a clock controlling run game is important, especially if you have a homerun hitter. That said the OC can't be afraid to take strikes down field once the safety is rolling up to cover the run. The QB must also trust in his receivers to make plays, like Favre did with Rice.

The article makes sense, but it didn't address is D's that prevent explosive plays, which requires good DB's and sure tackling, which the Vikes still struggle with in the secondary.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

No shit.

If only those dumbasses would realize the whole genius behind run, run, throw a 4 yard pass on 3rd and long and the ensuing punt mentality. That is where all the cool kids hang out.

Losers.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Purple Floyd wrote:
    No shit.

If only those dumbasses would realize the whole genius behind run, run, throw a 4 yard pass on 3rd and long and the ensuing punt mentality. That is where all the cool kids hang out.

Losers.
    Throw to Tahi, that's the ticket to winning!!!
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    No shit.

Losers.
    Throw to Tahi, that's the ticket to winning!!!
    Championship!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast