Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The PurplePride Top 10: Running Backs

Quarterbacks thread: http://www.purplepride.org/index.php/community/discussion/16-general-nfl-discussion/1038158-the-purplepride-top-10-quarterbacks?limit=15&start=15
    Yesterday we (or at least a handful of us) ranked the top 10 quarterbacks currently in the league. Today we move on to the running backs.
    This one is pretty tough, especially at the backend because there are so many solid backs, but not a lot of ultra-dominant ones.

10. - Cedric Benson - Single-handedly helped change the Bengals offense into one that can control the game and the clock instead of just a pass-happy scheme. Was second in the league in yards/game, but missed a decent chunk of time with injuries.

9. - Ryan Grant - Seems he is at his best late in seasons. A little inconsistent, but still puts up solid numbers year-in and out.

8. - Michael Turner - Still put up very good numbers this season while missing a lot of time. He is a top 5 back in the league right now if he does not have to nurse injuries.

7. - DeAngelo Williams - Losing a lot of his carries to the solid Jonathon Stewart, but still quite the force to be reckoned with.

6. - Thomas Jones - One of the more underrated players in the NFL. Put up 1,400 yards and 14 TDs this season to lead the Jets top-ranked rushing attack.

5. - Ray Rice - Truly an explosive player and practically the entire Ravens offense this season. He makes plays in the passing game and had a average of 5.3 yards per carry.

4. - Steven Jackson - Really is a workhorse and can lay the wood. Does not get in the end zone much, which could be a by-product of playing for a bad team.

3. - Maurice Jones-Drew - Pocket Hercules is truly a great RB that can do it all. He can catch and return kicks, and has a great knack for finding the end zone.

2. - Adrian Peterson - A year ago, this guy was No. 1. Still a grinder and can still bust a big one. Had a career high 18 TDs, which led the NFL. Of course, we all know about the fumbles.

1. - Chris Johnson - The NFL Offensive Player of the Year eclipsed 2,000 yards and was probably the most exciting player to watch this season. He went for more than 100 yards in each of the Titans' final 11 games.
    None

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Re:The PurplePride Top 10: Running Backs

The Bears had both Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson. Ooops.

They also had Adrian Peterson, but not THAT Adrian Peterson.

I would put Ray Rice over the Vikings' Adrian Peterson. AD has trouble finding the holes, and I don't think he turns the corner as well as he did his rookie season. I do not know if it is the injury or the bulk from his weight program, but he does not look to shift and cut as well as he had in the past.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I think I will break this down the same way I did the QBs.

RBs who have to be on your list include, but not limited to:
    - Chris Johnson, Peterson, MJD, DeAngelo.
    These are my top 4.

Now the next tier of RBs is just a mess, but least see what I can do.
    - The second tier: Ray Rice, Benson, Turner, Gore, Ronnie Brown.
    - The third tier: Stephan Jackson, Thomas Jones, Grant, Portis, Forte, Jacobs, Westbrook, Caddy Williams.
    - Backups who are fantastic, but should not be considered because they are backups or because the split time: J. Stewart, Ricky Williams, Barber/Jones, Jackson/Lynch, Thomas/Bush, Lt/Sproles, Wells/Hightower.

So all of the 2nd tier makes my top 10 and I just need one more to round out the top 10.
    - I would normally pick Westbrook because when he is healthy, I don't think there is anyone harder to try and stop out of the backfield when you combine his rushing with receiving yards.
    - At the start of the year, I would have put Forte easily on this list, but he sucks now.
    - Jackson and Portis are at the end of their careers and no longer are top end backs.

Top 10 Runningbacks:
    1. Chris Johnson
    2. Peterson
    3. MJD
    4. DeAngelo Williams
    5. Ray Rice
    6. Frank Gore
    7. Benson
    8. Micheal Turner
    9. Ronnie Brown
    10. Thomas Jones
    We're bringing purple back.

gregair13 wrote:
    I think I will break this down the same way I did the QBs.

RBs who have to be on your list include, but not limited to:
    - Chris Johnson, Peterson, MJD, DeAngelo.
    These are my top 4.

Now the next tier of RBs is just a mess, but least see what I can do.
    - The second tier: Ray Rice, Benson, Turner, Gore, Ronnie Brown.
    - The third tier: Stephan Jackson, Thomas Jones, Grant, Portis, Forte, Jacobs, Westbrook, Caddy Williams.
    - Backups who are fantastic, but should not be considered because they are backups or because the split time: J. Stewart, Ricky Williams, Barber/Jones, Jackson/Lynch, Thomas/Bush, Lt/Sproles, Wells/Hightower.

So all of the 2nd tier makes my top 10 and I just need one more to round out the top 10.
    - I would normally pick Westbrook because when he is healthy, I don't think there is anyone harder to try and stop out of the backfield when you combine his rushing with receiving yards.
    - At the start of the year, I would have put Forte easily on this list, but he sucks now.
    - Jackson and Portis are at the end of their careers and no longer are top end backs.

Top 10 Runningbacks:
    1. Chris Johnson
    2. Peterson
    3. MJD
    4. DeAngelo Williams
    5. Ray Rice
    6. Frank Gore
    7. Benson
    8. Micheal Turner
    9. Ronnie Brown
    10. Thomas Jones
    I felt really bad not have Ronnie Brown and/or Frank Gore on my list, and I know many will think that T. Jones is too high, but his production the last few seasons is unbelievable and hardly noticed.
    It is definitely a tough position to rank. Outside of the top three guys (CJ, AP and MJD) ... but I still cannot believe you would not have Stephen Jackson on your list.
    None

And how do you qualify Steven Jackson as at the end of his career? He is only 26? The same age as D. Williams and Frank Gore and younger than Thomas Jones, Cedric Benson, Michael Turner and Ronnie Brown. So, he is not older than 70% of your list.
    None

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

The rankings for RBs are constantly reshuffled. It wasn't too long ago where I remember debating LaDainian Tomlinson or Shaun Alexander for the #1 pick in fantasy football.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    And how do you qualify Steven Jackson as at the end of his career? He is only 26? The same age as D. Williams and Frank Gore and younger than Thomas Jones, Cedric Benson, Michael Turner and Ronnie Brown. So, he is not older than 70% of your list.
    I never called him old. All I said was his career is almost over. His production will continue to decrease and will not be even a consideration and the end of the coming year for this list.
    We're bringing purple back.

gregair13 wrote:
    Midge Resurrected wrote:
    I never called him old. All I said was his career is almost over. His production will continue to decrease and will not be even a consideration and the end of the coming year for this list.
    And I am asking you what leads you to believe that? He just had the second best year of his career and is only 26. What leads you to believe his production will go down while the guys you have in front of him will not?

Not being a jerk or anything ... just wondering.
    None

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Too fucking hard

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

This is my RB Rankings...not playmaker necessarily, I'm talking All Around RB.
    1. Chris Johnson
    2. MJD
    3. AP
    4. Stephen Jackson
    5. Ray Rice
    6. Frank Gore
    7. Michael Turner
    8. DeAngelo Williams
    9. Ronnie Brown
    10. Cedric Benson
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast