Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The PurplePride Top 10: Quarterbacks

Since it is the offseason and everyone is probably still sick from the NFC Championship Game ... I figured it would be fun to get another set of discussions going.
    I am going to post a new thread every day or two or three when I get lazy for a number of positions. These are simple, give your top 10 at the position in the NFL right now, say your reasons why if you like, and proceed in arguing your points with others.
    I know this will likely get quite uncivil with some people, but lets try to remember these are just opinions and really don't mean anything. Hopefully, they will get some lively discussions going.

10. - Matt Schaub - This guy is on the verge of really becoming a star in this league. If Slaton becomes more reliable, then the Texans become a real threat to the Colts next season. Schaub's raw numbers include 4,700+ yards passing this year, good for the sixth most in a single season EVERY.

9. - Eli Manning - A Super Bowl ring on his finger helps, but he still has not hit his prime. He had statistically his best season by far this year and you can only expect that the Giants will try to sure up that defense for a playoff run next season. He has made the playoffs four of the five years he has been a starter.

8. - Tony Romo - Finally learning how to win when it counts and has always had spectacular numbers. He would be on pace to challenge some of the greats if he had not had to wait until he was 26 to get his starting shot. A career record of 38-17, three playoff appearances in four years as a starter and a three-time Pro Bowler. He could be the guy to make the Cowboys the first team to host a Super Bowl next season.

7. - Aaron Rodgers - Almost put him below Romo, but he definitely has poise and has performed very well under intense scrutiny. Numbers are great, and if he can become more of a winner (only 17-15 as a starter) he will climb this list in a hurry.

6. - Ben Roethlisberger - Here is a guy many call "overrated" and that is simply ridiculous. He has TWO Super Bowl rings ... another AFC Championship appearance and all while only 27-years-old and having played only six seasons. His numbers are great too, including a career rating of 91.7 and 60 wins to only 26 losses. Actually tough to not put him in the top 5.

5. - Tom Brady - This is as low as the Golden Boy has been in a while, and maybe he can come back. But he just has not looked right since getting battered by the Giants and then getting injured. He has now lost 2 playoff games in a row and seems to have lost a lot of his "mystique." He can still sling it though and still put up 4,300 yards and 28 touchdowns this season.

4. - Brett Favre - Really, what can be said about him that has not been. He still has it, is still as tough as anyone and plays his heart out. He could be removed from this list though, but I would bet most of us hopes he stays on it for at least one more season.

3. - Philip Rivers - Flat out a winner, and gets it done late, often against "impossible" odds. His numbers are fantastic: Back-to-back 4,000 yard seasons, 31 TD average the last two seasons and a 46-18 record as a starter. A couple of home losses in the playoffs hurt, but don't expect Rivers to be one who does not get over the hump one day.

2. - Drew Brees - This guy flat out carries his team and is their heart and soul. He does not have the big arm, but is deadly accurate and is in an offense built to excel under him. In four years in N.O. he has averaged 4,575 yards, 31 TDs and is 38-25 as a starter. He has a chance to move into the elite all time list with a win on Sunday.

1. - Peyton Manning - 10x Pro Bowler, 5x All Pro, 50,000+ yards and 360+ TDs. This guy is on his way to making a claim for the best of all time, and is clearly the top guy right now.
    None

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The PurplePride Top 10: Quarterbacks

P. Manning
    Brees
    Rivers
    Brady
    Favre
    Rodgers
    Romo
    Ryan
    Big Ben
    Mcnabb
    We're bringing purple back.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

1. Peyton Manning. Really, he's the best. if he wins another superbowl, IMO he'll go down as the best ever. If he stays healthy, he will shatter all of Favre's records, including the starting streak.

2. Philip Rivers: The guy is a football player (thanks john) He's a winner, he's got a great arm and is one of the top 3 QB's that I would want on my team.

3. Brees: Young, and really puts up incredible numbers without great receivers. (Yes, I'm of the firm belief, Brees makes those receivers good, not the other way around) He's in the right system, I'm not sure he'd be as successful ina different one.

4. Brett Favre: Had one of his best seasons ever, but he's 40, and fairly inconsistent from year to year. Still has a cannon, but I think his age is starting to catch up with him. I'd love him back though. One of the toughest players ever, and its fun to watch him play.

5. Aaron Rodgers: Young, talented, but will still make mistakes that come from inexperience. He'll be a good QB in this league, but won't ever be one of the best until he wins in the playoffs.

6. Tom Brady: He's still one of the better guys, but we're seeing now, that without a top tier defense and injuries on offense, he's very ordinary. He doesn't have great career numbers, so its not like he carried his team to three superbowls.

7. Ben Roethlisberger: Guys a talented QB. Overrated his first couple seasons I think, but he's done more than enough since to prove he deserves to be in the talk for one of the top in the league. 2 superbowls, another AFC game, he's a guy I wouldn't mind on my team.

8. Matt Schaub: Starting to put up great numbers. If he can stay healthy, he can be a top 5 guy in th eleague in a few years. I'm anxious to see how he pans out.

9. Kurt Warner: Old, and likely to retire, but if he were to come back another season, I'd gladly have him as a Viking. Possible HOF QB with a ring. He's the reason the Cards have been worth a damn in the past few years.

10. David Garrard: Fairly efficient, and somewhat mobile in the pocket. He doesnt have any weapons on offense to work with, so its pretty hard to actually gauge how good he is.

I'm not sold on guys like Romo or Eli. I don't buy into the hype on Romo, and I think Eli's superbowl season was a huge fluke. They don't make my list.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    1. Peyton Manning. Really, he's the best. if he wins another superbowl, IMO he'll go down as the best ever. If he stays healthy, he will shatter all of Favre's records, including the starting streak.

2. Philip Rivers: The guy is a football player (thanks john) He's a winner, he's got a great arm and is one of the top 3 QB's that I would want on my team.

3. Brees: Young, and really puts up incredible numbers without great receivers. (Yes, I'm of the firm belief, Brees makes those receivers good, not the other way around) He's in the right system, I'm not sure he'd be as successful ina different one.

4. Brett Favre: Had one of his best seasons ever, but he's 40, and fairly inconsistent from year to year. Still has a cannon, but I think his age is starting to catch up with him. I'd love him back though. One of the toughest players ever, and its fun to watch him play.

5. Aaron Rodgers: Young, talented, but will still make mistakes that come from inexperience. He'll be a good QB in this league, but won't ever be one of the best until he wins in the playoffs.

6. Tom Brady: He's still one of the better guys, but we're seeing now, that without a top tier defense and injuries on offense, he's very ordinary. He doesn't have great career numbers, so its not like he carried his team to three superbowls.

7. Ben Roethlisberger: Guys a talented QB. Overrated his first couple seasons I think, but he's done more than enough since to prove he deserves to be in the talk for one of the top in the league. 2 superbowls, another AFC game, he's a guy I wouldn't mind on my team.

8. Matt Schaub: Starting to put up great numbers. If he can stay healthy, he can be a top 5 guy in th eleague in a few years. I'm anxious to see how he pans out.

9. Kurt Warner: Old, and likely to retire, but if he were to come back another season, I'd gladly have him as a Viking. Possible HOF QB with a ring. He's the reason the Cards have been worth a damn in the past few years.

10. David Garrard: Fairly efficient, and somewhat mobile in the pocket. He doesnt have any weapons on offense to work with, so its pretty hard to actually gauge how good he is.

I'm not sold on guys like Romo or Eli. I don't buy into the hype on Romo, and I think Eli's superbowl season was a huge fluke. They don't make my list.
    Warner cannot be on the list. He officially retired!
    As for Garrard ... I cannot see how he can make the list over a Romo or an Eli when you look at the numbers and the wins. I like Garrard though and definitely think he is underrated.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Warner cannot be on the list. He officially retired!
    As for Garrard ... I cannot see how he can make the list over a Romo or an Eli when you look at the numbers and the wins. I like Garrard though and definitely think he is underrated.
    I didn't know warner retired. Wonder where I was. I shall update my list.

Romo puts up good numbers, with an extremely talented team, but has a bad track record in the playoffs or when it matters. I'm really not sold on Eli.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re:The PurplePride Top 10: Quarterbacks

1) Peyton Manning
    2) Tom Brady
    3) Drew Brees
    4) Brett Favre
    5) Ben Roethlisberger
    6) Aaron Rodgers
    7) Phillip Rivers
    8) Eli Manning
    9) Tony Romo
    10)Donovan McNabb

Mr Anderson wrote:
    1) Peyton Manning
    2) Tom Brady
    3) Drew Brees
    4) Brett Favre
    5) Ben Roethlisberger
    6) Aaron Rodgers
    7) Phillip Rivers
    8) Eli Manning
    9) Tony Romo
    10)Donovan McNabb
    Wow ... why so low on Rivers?
    None

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    1) Peyton Manning
    2) Tom Brady
    3) Drew Brees
    4) Brett Favre
    5) Ben Roethlisberger
    6) Aaron Rodgers
    7) Phillip Rivers
    8) Eli Manning
    9) Tony Romo
    10)Donovan McNabb
    Because the other guys are better.

There's only two guys above him without a Super Bowl ring. One of which is Brees who is clearly a better QB. The other being Aaron Rodgers who I like better. He delivers the ball faster, is more accurate, and really outperformed Rivers in the playoffs. Rivers has made the playoffs 4 years in a row, he's thrown more INTs than TDs in those 4 years. He's a punk who runs his mouth. But that's not why I put him where I did. The other guys are just better quarterbacks.

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    1) Peyton Manning
    2) Tom Brady
    3) Drew Brees
    4) Brett Favre
    5) Ben Roethlisberger
    6) Aaron Rodgers
    7) Phillip Rivers
    8) Eli Manning
    9) Tony Romo
    10)Donovan McNabb

There's only two guys above him without a Super Bowl ring. One of which is Brees who is clearly a better QB. The other being Aaron Rodgers who I like better. He delivers the ball faster, is more accurate, and really outperformed Rivers in the playoffs. Rivers has made the playoffs 4 years in a row, he's thrown more INTs than TDs in those 4 years. He's a punk who runs his mouth. But that's not why I put him where I did. The other guys are just better quarterbacks.
    It is tough to argue against the rings, but if rings are so important, then Roethlisberger has to be No. 3 right?
    Rivers has done just as well as Rodgers in the playoffs, he has 3 playoff wins ... Rodgers has zero. Yes, Rivers has had a couple of tough playoff games, but they are the playoffs. I have a tough time looking at their numbers and their win-loss percentage and making any case for Rodgers over Rivers.
    Rivers is kind of a punk though. I can definitely agree with that.
    None

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    1) Peyton Manning
    2) Tom Brady
    3) Drew Brees
    4) Brett Favre
    5) Ben Roethlisberger
    6) Aaron Rodgers
    7) Phillip Rivers
    8) Eli Manning
    9) Tony Romo
    10)Donovan McNabb

It is tough to argue against the rings, but if rings are so important, then Roethlisberger has to be No. 3 right?
    Rivers has done just as well as Rodgers in the playoffs, he has 3 playoff wins ... Rodgers has zero. Yes, Rivers has had a couple of tough playoff games, but they are the playoffs. I have a tough time looking at their numbers and their win-loss percentage and making any case for Rodgers over Rivers.
    Rivers is kind of a punk though. I can definitely agree with that.
    I'm not going by just rings for the ranking above him, or Brady would be #1.

Peyton Manning is the best quarterback in the league, I don't think there's any questioning that anymore. If he wins on Sunday, he's probably the best ever.

Roethlisberger isn't on the same level as the guys above him as a passer. Favre, Manning, Brady, and Brees all get rid of the ball fast, put it exactly where it needs to be, and besides Favre(Excluding most of this season) make good decisions with the football. Roethlisberger holds onto the ball forever, doesn't make many plays from the pocket, and has had an incredible defense to rely on his entire career. There's no doubt the guy can play ball, but his rings alone don't put him above Brees and Favre in my book.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast