Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

From purple to black, Moss has been the pit bull

[size=18px]From purple to black, Moss has been the pit bull[/size]

By Anthony Carroll on May 19, 2006 03:05 AM
    realfootball365.com

"I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I know that pit bulls have bad reputations. But there are dogs that get loose every day. You can't discriminate because they are pit bulls."

The police chief of Medina, Minnesota voiced that statement after the pit bull of Raiders' wideout, Randy Moss, escaped from his home in late April. When the news spread through the neighborhood, a terror alert was issued.

Yes, a terror alert...Not for a bear, not for a rabid dog, just your average canine.

"The dog is really friendly. We had no problems with it...it's nice and lays down and you can scratch its belly when on the property."

Throughout his career, Randy Moss has been the pit bull.

After joining the Raiders in the offseason of 2005, Moss remarked, "You have to grow as you go, and that's what I try to do."

In his first season with the Oakland Raiders , the 6'4" wideout just barely surpassed the 1,000-yard stratum as he battled with nagging injuries. Along with his eight touchdown receptions, Moss' 2005 numbers are among the lowest of his eight-year career.

You wouldn't know it from looking at him, though.

Even before the 1998 NFL Draft, in which he was selected by the Minnesota Vikings with the 21st overall pick, Moss was tagged as a "team cancer" or "coach killer."

That same team killer caught 69 balls worth 1,313 yards and 17 touchdowns in his rookie season; the Vikings' number one ranked offense was on its way to a 15-1 season, while Moss was on his way to his first Pro Bowl and the 1998 NFL Rookie of the Year Award.

In the following three seasons, from 1999-2001, Moss caught 239 more balls for 4,083 yards and 36 touchdowns, leading the Minnesota Vikings in receiving all three seasons. In that time, he was also fined for yelling at an official, squirting an official with water, making contact with an official, taunting the NY Giants, and yelling at sponsors on a bus.

Oh, and the team posted a record of 26-22 in those three years, making the playoffs twice despite 27th, 28th, and 29th ranked defensive units.

In 2002, the team went 6-10. But, more importantly, Moss made an illegal left turn in his Lexus, hitting an officer standing in front of his vehicle who was attempting to halt the illegal activity. As a result, Moss plead guilty to a misdemeanor traffic violation and was sentenced to pay a $1,200 fine and perform 40 hours of community service. In the same year, Moss exceeded the $1,200 fine total with 1,347 yards on 106 catches.

In 2003, the Marshall alumnus became the first wide receiver in NFL history to average over 100 yards and one touchdown per game throughout the course of an entire season. The team went 9-7, despite a 23rd-ranked defense in points and 25th ranked unit in yardage. The offense, on the other hand, ranked sixth in points and first in yardage. In 2003, the defense, not Randy Moss, was the "team killer."

The year of 2004 was another dicey year for number 84. Despite hamstring injuries, Moss still hauled in 13 touchdown receptions; however, in 13 games of action, he only accumulated 767 receiving yards on the season. Even with an 8-8 regular season record, Minnesota made it into the 2004 postseason. The week before the postseason began, Moss walked off the field with two seconds remaining on the game clock in an 18-21 loss against the Washington Redskins . As a result, the media harshly criticized the receiver's selfish actions.

In the NFC wildcard game, Moss hushed his critics, catching two touchdowns in a 31-17 shocker over the Green Bay Packers . But once again, it was Moss who became the center of negativity for the post-game analysis. After catching his second touchdown of the game, Moss turned backside to the mass of green and yellow, placed his hands near his waist, and made a mooning motion to the beloved Packers fans.

The next week, the Vikings lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 14-27 in the NFC Divisional Playoffs--not because Daunte Culpepper threw two interceptions to Donovan McNabb's zero, not because the defense allowed 395 yards of offense, but because of Randy Moss (or so they say).

In 2005, Moss was considered to be the "trash" of the free agent pool. Teams avoided the receiving giant, weighing his off-field transgressions over his on-field accomplishments. As a result, the Oakland Raiders were able to acquire the Pro Bowler for a first-round draft choice and Napoleon Harris, who tallied a whopping 25 tackles in his first year with the Vikings.

Since his arrival, No. 18 has been as silent as your average on-shift librarian.

Off the field, he has started his own clothing line, dropped his agent--Dante DiTrapano--who was facing drug charges, organized a plan to give back to Marshall University, and chartered a bus for 80 kids to watch an NBA game with him.

Those stories don't generate revenue, though; "every blue moon" reports do.

Unfortunately for Randy Moss, "every once in a blue moon," a friendly bark turns into a media bite.

Anthony Carroll can be contacted at [email protected]

From purple to black, Moss has been the pit bull

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Re: From purple to black, Moss has been the pit bull

Don't want to start a sh!t storm here, but we traded the wrong guy in the first place, D@MN RED !!!!!!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i love moss =)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Moss wasn't nearly the problem that he was made out to be.
    So much for the old saying 'there is no such thing as bad publicity.'

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

He still lives in MN???

The police chief of Medina, Minnesota voiced that statement after the pit bull of Raiders' wideout, Randy Moss, escaped from his home in late April.

Nice article, nothing that would surprise me.

Same charitable Moss, not getting the credit (not wanting) for doing the good stuff.

Json is offline GM

I am a pitbull owner and I love Randy and miss him in purple but whats done is done. As for being a pitubll owner please read the following article:

Pit bull owners are the victims

Ontario's pit bull ban is once again getting media attention, with Clayton Ruby's constitutional challenge in the Supreme Court this week. However, for those of us who own pit bulls, the spotlight is never off us.

The fallout of the ban takes many forms, none of them positive.

While the media continues to portray pit bulls as a dangerous breed by almost exclusively covering stories in which pit bulls have attacked, pit bull owners know the dangerous dogs are very much the exception to the rule. We know this because we live day in and day out with pit bulls who are gentle, playful, sweet, smart and loving pets. Our dogs enjoy their dog friends and are loyal and loved, albeit hairy, members of our family.

The pit bulls covered in the media who have done harm to people and other dogs are anomalies. Basing assumptions about pit bulls on these bad apples is like basing assumptions about people on the serial killers and child molesters typically covered in the media.

Unfortunately, the public is all too willing to believe such stories. Particularly now that these have been legitimized by the Ontario Liberal government's pit bull ban, some people feel their fear is valid and some lash out at pit bull owners as though we are dangerous members of society. They take licence to hurl insults, make threats or to make sweeping generalizations about 'pit bull owners' as though we are all the same. I have often heard "You don't look like a pit bull owner,' which illustrates the prejudice of those who assume all pit bull owners look like thugs. Whatever those look like.

Don't underestimate the danger of the government's prejudicial legislation. No other legislation so blatantly discriminates against members of one part of our society. Yet, by virtue of the 'breed' of dog pit bull owners have at the end of their leashes, we have been painted with the same brush, and that brush has declared us socially unacceptable. For me, the ban constitutes defamation of my character and slander by 'my' government. It threatens my security and puts me at risk of discrimination. Those reading this likely feel some condemnation of me. It is a built-in response and a dangerous one.

Fortunately, pit bull owners are finding more and more support among the public, rather than less and less. The average joe dog owner and the average jane citizen are starting to see the short-sighted thinking that is the essence of the pit bull ban legislation and are questioning more and more a government that is quick to ban rather than to look to individual responsibility to solve problems.

Public fear of pit bulls is based on ignorance about their true nature. Pit bulls are by nature loyal, intelligent, loving dogs. Those that do damage are typically abused and mistreated animals that need public protection to guarantee safety, not a ban that drives the criminals who mistreat their dogs further underground.

The average pit bull owner is a decent citizen who would do anything to be able to protect their dog's right to be free and held accountable to the same laws as all other breeds.

To this end, we have our fingers, toes and paws crossed that Clayton Ruby will be successful and that pit bull bans in Canada will be a thing of the past.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"mnjamie" wrote:
    Don't want to start a sh!t storm here, but we traded the wrong guy in the first place, D@MN RED !!!!!!
    I'd have to agree with you there, but oh well

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

i wish randy was still here. the media put him under the microscope the day he was drafted. if i had that kind of money at that age i would have probably ben into a lot more trouble than him.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"marshallvike" wrote:
    i wish randy was still here. the media put him under the microscope the day he was drafted. if i had that kind of money at that age i would have probably ben into a lot more trouble than him.
    haha exactly

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Maybe he'll come back . . . there's always hope. He's getting older, but not that old. Apparently he still lives here (and he's always doing those fishing tournaments). He's still got love for MN!
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast