Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Loadholt was the weak link last year followed closely by the two guard spots. Bad news is that spot wasn't addressed unless they dump big Phil for one of the reserves like Love.

  2. #12
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Loadholt was the weak link last year followed closely by the two guard spots. Bad news is that spot wasn't addressed unless they dump big Phil for one of the reserves like Love.
    I think that LT was the weak link. I know that Loadholt was credited with the most sacks allowed on the line last year, but that stat is misleading. If you watch the game tape, the QB was scrambling to his right almost every time. So yes, the sack often came from that side, but it was due to pressure from the left.

    Not saying that Loadholt was playing great by any means, but I think that simplifying his protection patterns by keeping the QB in more of a pocket will improve his play quite a bit.

    The biggest issue for the line IMHO will be the fact that the LT and both guards are either new to the team or playing in new positions, so it will take them a little while to gel. But overall I think we addressed it as well as we could.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #13
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I think that LT was the weak link. I know that Loadholt was credited with the most sacks allowed on the line last year, but that stat is misleading. If you watch the game tape, the QB was scrambling to his right almost every time. So yes, the sack often came from that side, but it was due to pressure from the left.


    Not saying that Loadholt was playing great by any means, but I think that simplifying his protection patterns by keeping the QB in more of a pocket will improve his play quite a bit.

    The biggest issue for the line IMHO will be the fact that the LT and both guards are either new to the team or playing in new positions, so it will take them a little while to gel. But overall I think we addressed it as well as we could.
    Of course he was scrambling to the right, he is right handed. It is much less common to scramble back against the grain as a QB. But Johnson didn't play as bad as he is credited with. The LG was terrible and he had to try to cover for that problem plus much of the pressure that was coming from the left was also due to the fact that #28 is terrible in pass protection and missed many assignments that were supposed to be his, making the LT the scapegoat. Sure, Johnson is not elite, but there were bigger problems than him.

  4. #14
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Of course he was scrambling to the right, he is right handed. It is much less common to scramble back against the grain as a QB. But Johnson didn't play as bad as he is credited with. The LG was terrible and he had to try to cover for that problem plus much of the pressure that was coming from the left was also due to the fact that #28 is terrible in pass protection and missed many assignments that were supposed to be his, making the LT the scapegoat. Sure, Johnson is not elite, but there were bigger problems than him.
    You make a very good point about the right handed scramble, although it would be nice if he didn't have to scramble on every play. I disagree about AD missing assignments contributing significantly to the OL problems - mostly because watching game tape, especially once Ponder took over, he was not relied on for pass blocking. Most of his assignments were chips and then releasing into the flat.

    I also don't think that Hutch was terrible. He did decline in recent years, but he was still playing at an average level.

    I have no problem with Johnson, I just don't think he makes a very good tackle. I think his frame is much better suited to the guard position, and I think that the moves we made on the left side of the OL are huge and will take a lot of pressure off the line as a whole.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #15
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Lets not forget that the players that were out there working their craft aren't the sole issue we have when it comes the OL.

    a. The TE and Backs have a huge part in this.
    b. Our fricken idiot O-coord and even bigger idiot OLine coach also have a big play in it as well. Probably more so than the players.....

    I worry that Load will continue to digress, Kalil won't get started out right and we will see our Vets (like we did with Hutch last year) running around blocking air because the scheme(s) are to complex (or to many).

    Still can figure out why we ran 4 blocking schemes last year. Most teams struggle to do two.

    On a side note, even though most of you won't agree with me, Sully seemed to do alot better last year and is being mentioned by alot of writers as being one of the better Centers in the league.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •