singersp is offline PPO Newshound

From Pro football to wanted fugitive

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Re: From Pro football to wanted fugitive

dam what a ...story

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

a true tragedy, but I can't find a scrap of sympathy for him. I like that the story helps you understand how a professional athlete's life can unravel so quickly and completely. But my eyes are dry as I read it. Hope his family does all right without him around.

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

This is a perfect example of why I don't drink and never will again. I could care less if I offend people or not, Alcohol is death. If you drink beer and you can't just have one, but a 12 pack or a case even (when I drank) you have a problem. Football players are just like us, they can just play football. I hope in the future that Joe Phillips can find peace. I hope and pray that he find his spirituality and makes a comeback to life not football. I am sure everyone on here has someone who has had a problem or two. Compassion is what we should have for him. If there is anyone in this world much less this forum that has not made a mistake, let him speak. ALL of us have made a mistake or two or three or four or more. I am sure that who ever you made the mistake to and if you are honest, you made a mistake to someone or yourself, you were forgiven for it. Do the same here. He is human and makes mistakes. Instead of bashing him, why not encourage him to do better as we should for Onterrio Smith. Just think, if O.S. was here now, we would have a great backfield. Just think about it.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

The Mercury News? Damn Singer, is there a paper online you don't read?

[color=red]

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

A true tale about success and what it can do to you when you no longer have it. Definitely a cautionary tale.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"vike_mike" wrote:
    Instead of bashing him, why not encourage him to do better as we should for Onterrio Smith. Just think, if O.S. was here now, we would have a great backfield. Just think about it.
    I am assuming this was a response to my post. If so, read on. If not, please ignore.

I don't agree that a lack of sympathy equals "bashing" the guy. I'm not insulting him nor discounting him. But I am judging him. If that counts as "bashing" then I am guilty, but then, so are you...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I, too, feel for his family...and I feel bad for the guy...but he does need to step up and ask for help...without doing that his life will only degenerate to the point where he will end up homeless and drunk on the streets. I hope that he tries to find help soon...and that his family ends up fairly well-adjusted despite the problems that they have faced.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I do feel for the guy. I do not judge him (nor do I judge those who do :wink. I would also like to add that you don' t need to drink a 12 pack or a case at a time before you have a drinking problem. If you drink any amount and problems arise, then you have a drinking problem. Doesn't mean you have an addiction, but ...

Anyway, I feel for the guys, and I hope he finds the help he needs.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"vike_mike" wrote:
    This is a perfect example of why I don't drink and never will again. I could care less if I offend people or not, Alcohol is death. If you drink beer and you can't just have one, but a 12 pack or a case even (when I drank) you have a problem. Football players are just like us, they can just play football. I hope in the future that Joe Phillips can find peace. I hope and pray that he find his spirituality and makes a comeback to life not football. I am sure everyone on here has someone who has had a problem or two. Compassion is what we should have for him. If there is anyone in this world much less this forum that has not made a mistake, let him speak. ALL of us have made a mistake or two or three or four or more. I am sure that who ever you made the mistake to and if you are honest, you made a mistake to someone or yourself, you were forgiven for it. Do the same here. He is human and makes mistakes. Instead of bashing him, why not encourage him to do better as we should for Onterrio Smith. Just think, if O.S. was here now, we would have a great backfield. Just think about it.
    I could not disagree with you more. Compassion is for people who are accountable. He shows ZERO accountability. Tens of thousand in child support and being wanted by authorities is pathetic. Man up and pay for your kids if you aren't man enough to actually raise them. In my opinion, not much is lower in this world than a bad father/husband. There is no way to even compare O Smith to this piece of garbage. Onterrio had to learn the hard way but at least it appears now he wants to correct his mistakes. This clown is a coward. I couldn't feel worse for his family but this guy doesn't deserve one ounce of compassion. This guy may have a "disease" but he is not a guy who made mistakes and he is in no way a victim of a disease. He made a choice to ruin his family the second he fled. If he showed any accountability, I would call these mistakes. Without it, he is just a piece of crap.

[color=red]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast