Scout200 is offline Training Camp

Primetime Games?

What NFL teams usually have the most primetime games? Also, what's the deciding factor for those teams to get those primetime spots on television??

-Scout
    None

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Primetime Games?

I would venture to say it is a combination of the teams record from the previous year, market size, player attraction (Manning, AD, etc).

Do not want two shitty teams facing off on MNF.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

It's all about what they think will draw the biggest ratings and make the most money.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Fricken Capitalist's

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Scout200 wrote:
    What NFL teams usually have the most primetime games? Also, what's the deciding factor for those teams to get those primetime spots on television??

-Scout
    I agree with Ultra and Mr. A. It's mostly about ratings and market share.

You have to have the big market teams at least once or twice a year in prime time. So you will see the Giants, Jets, Bears, and such all given at least one game, probably at home if the schedule permits. Then there are also the perennial "national" favorites like the Cowboys, Raiders and Patriots. So we'll see them on Sunday night, Monday night, or Thursday night.

Let's not forget Thanksgiving, either. That guarantees the 'Boys and Lions each a game in the national spotlight.

The rest goes to the playoff teams from the previous season, and to certain select traditional rivalries such as Packers/Bears/Vikings, Steelers/Browns and Broncos/Raiders/Chiefs. Then there may be one or two that are expected to be "exciting" despite how good or bad the teams are, like the Colts. And some that feature marquee players: Vick, Manning, Favre...

I think you get the idea. Give the people what they want. Bread and circuses.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Who cares what the teams want or need. Rhythm? Consistency? Regimen? Nah, forget it. Cash is king!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Scout200 wrote:

-Scout
    NFL teams can get a maximum of five Prime-Time regular-season games a season. This covers the NFLN Thursday night games, the SNF games on NBC and the MNF games on ESPN.

The NFC East teams are, by far, shown more than any other division. While this has to do with large home TV markets (NYC, DC & Philadelphia) more than anything else, there is thought to be a general feeling among the networks that NFC East = Ratings. You can never discount the "love" for the Cowboys, for example.

After those teams, the next tier encompasses teams with national followings - the Steelers, the Raiders (when they don't suck ass), the Dolphins and the Bears and Packers.

The next tier will include teams with big stars - Indy and New England, for example. The Vikings, with Favre especially, now fall into this group. You can also toss the current Saints into here.

And the final tier includes teams who show promise for the upcoming season. In 2010, I would flag the inclusion of San Francisco into the prime-time mix as an example of this.

For the best information on this kind of thing, I suggest checking out the message boards at www.the506.com, the best site I've found for discussing all things TV-related with the NFL.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Scout200 is offline Training Camp

Zeus wrote:
    Scout200 wrote:

-Scout
    NFL teams can get a maximum of five Prime-Time regular-season games a season. This covers the NFLN Thursday night games, the SNF games on NBC and the MNF games on ESPN.

The NFC East teams are, by far, shown more than any other division. While this has to do with large home TV markets (NYC, DC & Philadelphia) more than anything else, there is thought to be a general feeling among the networks that NFC East = Ratings. You can never discount the "love" for the Cowboys, for example.

After those teams, the next tier encompasses teams with national followings - the Steelers, the Raiders (when they don't suck ass), the Dolphins and the Bears and Packers.

The next tier will include teams with big stars - Indy and New England, for example. The Vikings, with Favre especially, now fall into this group. You can also toss the current Saints into here.

And the final tier includes teams who show promise for the upcoming season. In 2010, I would flag the inclusion of San Francisco into the prime-time mix as an example of this.

For the best information on this kind of thing, I suggest checking out the message boards at www.the506.com, the best site I've found for discussing all things TV-related with the NFL.

=Z=
    Thanks for the clarification! I've always wondered how they chose the primetime games....
    None