Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: PPO Book Review - "More Than a Game" by Brian Billick

"gregair13" wrote:
    I just finished the book and would like to talk about it with those who have read it.

Zeus, what are your thought on the book as a whole and some of the issues he brings up/ Are we having a work stoppage in 2011? Its the NFL screwed? What about the chapter entitled The Future, would those things works?
    Just getting back to PPO after the flu KO'd my ass for a couple days.

I think the points he brings up about new owners vs. old owners are incredibly insightful.
    The new owners are so leveraged that they have to think about themselves first, league second.
    That indicates that they will do selfish things for their own skins over smart things for the good of all.
    To me, that makes it sound like people like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder will fight with the Rooneys and Maras of the world for control of the direction of the league.
    Seems crazy that $7 billion won't be enough for everyone to split.

So, yes, I do think Billick makes a good case for work stoppage in 2011.
    Which would be incredibly stupid, IMHO.
    Don't give fans a reason to turn somewhere else for their entertainment.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    I just finished the book and would like to talk about it with those who have read it.

Zeus, what are your thought on the book as a whole and some of the issues he brings up/ Are we having a work stoppage in 2011? Its the NFL screwed? What about the chapter entitled The Future, would those things works?

I think the points he brings up about new owners vs. old owners are incredibly insightful.
    The new owners are so leveraged that they have to think about themselves first, league second.
    That indicates that they will do selfish things for their own skins over smart things for the good of all.
    To me, that makes it sound like people like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder will fight with the Rooneys and Maras of the world for control of the direction of the league.

=Z=

It is going to be an interesting development.Now that Snyder and especially Jones have state of the art stadiums to pay for they need every nickel they can milk out of the league so the thought of sharing with other teams is not an attractive option to them.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:

=Z=

It is going to be an interesting development.Now that Snyder and especially Jones have state of the art stadiums to pay for they need every nickel they can milk out of the league so the thought of sharing with other teams is not an attractive option to them.
    I agree that the case Billick makes for having a long work stoppage makes sense. The new vs old owners will be in the trenches of the argument. Goddell's legacy will forever be linked with what happens over the next few years. Let's hope that they can get something worked out, but may need to find something else to do for 2011/
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12