Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Possibly the stupidest quote I have ever read...

"singersp" wrote:
    Clearly, although Gore's phrasing was clumsy (and perhaps self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the technology that we now know as the Internet. To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. Gore never used the word "invent," and the words "create" and "invent" have distinctly different meanings — the former is used in the sense of "to bring about" or "to bring into existence" while the latter is generally used to signify the first instance of someone's thinking up or implementing an idea. (To those who say the words "create" and "invent" mean exactly the same thing, we have to ask why, then, the media overwhelmingly and consistently cited Gore as having claimed he "invented" the Internet, even though he never used that word, and transcripts of what he actually said were readily available.)
    Clumsy phrasing can get you in a whole buttload of trouble in politics.

Example: President Bush called the War on Terror a "crusade." :tard:

Idiot. He's been justifiably bashed for saying such a stupid thing. While it is debatable whether or not this fanned the flames of Arabic anti-Americanism, it certainly didn't help improve the image of the U.S. to create an instant association between the United States and the Crusaders who invaded the Middle East several centuries ago. Middle Easterners, and Muslims in particular, have long memories when it comes to religious conflicts.

The same idea applies to Gore. Politicians need to communicate their ideas effectively. It's HIS fault that people think that he said that he invented the Internet. If he had stated it differently, this wouldn't be a topic of discussion. A choice of words can mean more than the difference between looking intelligent and looking like a complete $h!thead. It can mean the difference between swift peace and a prolonged war.

Perhaps a few more games of "Hungry Hungry Hippos" would have helped them gain the brain cells necessary to realize that. Aaaahhh...Hungry Hungry Hippos...the thinking man's game. The sport of kings!

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    Perhaps a few more games of "Hungry Hungry Hippos" would have helped them gain the brain cells necessary to realize that. Aaaahhh...Hungry Hungry Hippos...the thinking man's game. The sport of kings!
    How could you have played Hungry Hungry Hippos?

You need marbles to play that game & I thought you lost yours years ago! :razz:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Is this a POLITICAL thread? Watch out, this thread might just get locked up!!! LOL!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    Thanks for that article singer! That really helped me out man. I hate when people switch a politicians words around to make them sound stupid. People tried to do that to Kerry throughout the election... it really got annoying. People tried to say that he claimed to be against the war but voted for it. Well, I clearly, VERY clearly, remember him saying he voted for the war after the president presented him with all this intel. and photos that said Iraq did have nuclear weapons(which might I remind the president lied to each and every one us about) so he voted to invade Iraq. After finding out that Bush lied his arse off to all of us Kerry was against the war...
    Well Kerry was against the war when he found out there weren't any WMDs around, which is the stance of a lot of people. The thing that got Kerry in trouble during the election was that he said he voted for the 87 billion dollars for Iraq before he voted against it. The Republicans used this as rhetoric to say that Kerry was a flip flopper and didn't support our troops. To Kerry's defense (which he never explained and I have NO idea why) it's the nature of congress that got him in trouble there. Most bills, like the 87 billion dollars, are brought up multiple times before they are passed. Each time the bill is revised and then brought up again, if they're not passed and the senate desires a revision they can revise it and bring it up again. Kerry voted for the 87 billion the first time it came up, and then for some reason (whether it was wording or a certain provision) voted it down the second time. Therefore he voted for it before he voted against it. Not really his fault though, just the nature of congress.

Please though, rephrase your words. Bush did not LIE to us about the war, the intel was wrong from each and every country we recieved it from (US, British and Saudi intelligence all said the same thing--not to mention the multiple UN sanctions that had already been handed out). There is a big difference between misleading someone because of false information and outright boldface lying.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

If we are talking about stupid politicians quotes there is noone above former VP Dan Quayle

Look at this for confirmation:

Quotations Page

One of my own favorits are: "Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts."
    But there are tons of great stuff.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    If we are talking about stupid politicians quotes there is noone above former VP Dan Quayle

Quotations Page

One of my own favorits are: "Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts."
    Dan Quayle was an idiot. He went to a public school to help out and the teacher asked the kid to write our potato on the board and the kid wrote it perfectly. Dan then went on to say "aren't you missing an E there?".

When asked how he has prepared for his trip to "Latin America" he replied in all seriousness "I have been brushing up on my latin". :shock:

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

Quotations Page

Dan Quayle was an idiot. He went to a public school to help out and the teacher asked the kid to write our potato on the board and the kid wrote it perfectly. Dan then went on to say "aren't you missing an E there?".

When asked how he has prepared for his trip to "Latin America" he replied in all seriousness "I have been brushing up on my latin". :shock:
    Precisely.

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

How can he say things like this.

6-KINGS Guest

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

Quotations Page

Oh come on guys.
    There has never been nor will there ever be a bonafied "idiot" in the Office of President or Vice President.

That is just politics talking.
    Think about it.
    If you really feel that way, I suggest you try to make it happen that you meet ANY former President or Vice President.
    Trust me you will walk away realizing you have met someone who is not only smart but has a "presence" about them that reeks of respect.
    If you just go by what is spoonfeed on the news, SNL or the Daily Show then meet them, you will be awestruck.
    Don't believe me, meet one of them.

Sure many quotes we often laugh about (most of them), are just taken out of context, and as you say noone gets far in politics if he/she is a complete idiot.

I can not talk to much about politicians in the US, as I'm Danish, so I'll just stick to our own.

I know a lot of politicians here, and they are all intelligent people. Still they also laugh at themselves, and each other, when a stupid quote slips in the midst of the battle.

Still its just good clean fun.

Some have more 'slips' than others tough, but thats also a matter of flair in the political debate.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

(On September 17, 1994, Alabama's Heather Whitestone was selected as
    Miss America 1995.)
    Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?

Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not
    live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we
    would
    live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not
    live
    forever,"

--Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA contest.

``````````````````````````````````
    "Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the
    world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that,
    but not with all those flies and death and stuff."

--Mariah Carey

````````````
    "Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very
    important part of your life,"

--Brooke Shields, during an interview to become spokesperson for
    federal anti-smoking campaign.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body,"

--Winston Bennett,
    University of Kentucky basketball forward.

`````````````````````````````````````````````

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the
    lowest crime rates in the country,"

--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``

"That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death
    by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it,"

--A congressional candidate in Texas.

````````````````````````````

"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
    --Philadelphia Phillies manager, Danny Ozark

``````````````````````````````````

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
    impurities
    in our air and water that are doing it."

--Al Gore, Vice President

```````````````````

"I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."

--Dan Quayle

``````````

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"

--Lee Iacocca

```````````

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy
    like Norman Einstein."

--Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback &
    sports analyst.

````````````````````````````````````````````

"We don't necessarily discriminate. We simply exclude
    certain types of people."

--Colonel Gerald Wellman, ROTC Instrutor.

`````````````````````````````````

"Traditionally, most of Australia's imports come from overseas."

--Keppel Enderbery

````````````````

"Your food stamps will be stopped effective
    March 1992 because we received notice that you passed away. May God
    bless you. You may reapply if there is a change in your
    circumstances."

--Department of Social Services, Greenville, South Carolina

````````````````````````````````````````````
    "If somebody has a bad heart, they can plug this jack
    in at night as they go to bed and it will monitor their