Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Player or Team?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Player or Team?

slavinator wrote:
    TEAM.

Players make a team more enjoyable to watch, but the team is what I follow. Here is the depth of my sickness, I had to stop playing FF because I thought it detracted from my Viking game day experience...........
    That's a big part of why I won't play FF for money. I don't want to be happy if the Vikings lose or pissed off if they win. Playing only for bragging rights makes it much easier to deal with the highs and lows of the team experience.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Definately the team.

A few years back, a staff gutted me by getting rid of my all time favorite player (Joey Joey Joey Browner). For about 2 years I couldn't even stand to look at our new HC who precipitated that event.

Then I learned, its all about the team. It will always (unless they move because of stupid assinine politicians) be there for you. But players will always come and go or let you down in a way that will tear your heart out.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

I think being a European soccer fan where you see players moving between big rivals a lot more than the NFL gives a different perspective on things. It's always the team.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Team first, players second.

Of course if your team MOVES, you have the option to immediately put them into the HATE category and seek a new team.

Caine

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Definately the team.

A few years back, a staff gutted me by getting rid of my all time favorite player (Joey Joey Joey Browner). For about 2 years I couldn't even stand to look at our new HC who precipitated that event.
    Unless, of course, your team signs a future hall-of-fame QB from a hated rival. Then one should feel free to flirt with love for an Ohio team with ugly uniforms while bad-mouthing the aforementioned QB whenever possible during a season in which he leads your former favorite team to an NFC Championship game appearance.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

slavinator wrote:
    TEAM.

Players make a team more enjoyable to watch, but the team is what I follow. Here is the depth of my sickness, I had to stop playing FF because I thought it detracted from my Viking game day experience...........

That is not to say that I dont follow stat lines of other players or teams, it just means that if I chose to follow MY TEAM and immerse myself in all things Viking related.

I know its crazy but its how I roll.
    Thats why I tend to pick as many Vikings as possible for my Fantasy Teams. That way I never have any issues in who to root for.

To answer the original question. Team, definitely. College basketball is a coach for me. I tend to follow coaches, and coaching philosophies there.

Other sports, pretty much regional, just because of the coverage factor.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I try not to pick players on the same team, nevermind all Vikings. Thats a sure-fire way to lose.

Plus, picking other teams players gets me more interested in the other games too. I can sit down for a full day, not moving except to make/eat food and watch football, because usually there will be one of my players playing.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

I'm with everyone else who has responded so far. Team first, always.

I'll even extend that to the NBA, unlike some. I'm a Phoenix Suns fan, no matter who plays for them.

Now, if a team moves, that does raise a big question. What happened to all of the old Houston Oilers fans? Are they now Titans fans? Or Texans? Or some other team? Or maybe given up on the sport entirely? Most likely, some kind of split between all of these.

Me, personally, It would depend a lot on the circumstances of the move and how it was handled. If, as is the case with the Vikings, it is a matter of lack of funding for a new facility, I can understand if, if not like it. I don't really blame an owner for not wanting to foot the entire bill for such a project; it's a huge financial undertaking that has repercussions for decades. And it's entirely worth it to a community to fork over some of the dough. The economic benefits in the long run are trememndous.

If it's just a matter of getting a "better offer" elsewhere, though, such as with the Browns going to Baltimore, I'd be extremely pissed.

In a financial survival scenario, I'd probably continue to follow the team after the move, but only until all of the current players/coaches have moved on. Then it would be time to look for a new team.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I try not to pick players on the same team, nevermind all Vikings. Thats a sure-fire way to lose.

Plus, picking other teams players gets me more interested in the other games too. I can sit down for a full day, not moving except to make/eat food and watch football, because usually there will be one of my players playing.
    I don't know, if a person had filled there roster with Vikings last year they may have done pretty well.
    Favre, Harvin, Rice, Shiancoe, Longwell, defense all out performed there predicted values.
    Even Peterson at #1 overall wasn't a bad pick. Sure you would have gotten killed during the bye week but the rest of the year you may have done pretty well.
    Berrian would have been the only bad pick(probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick).

NDVikingFan66 wrote:
    slavinator wrote:
    TEAM.

That is not to say that I dont follow stat lines of other players or teams, it just means that if I chose to follow MY TEAM and immerse myself in all things Viking related.

I know its crazy but its how I roll.
    Thats why I tend to pick as many Vikings as possible for my Fantasy Teams. That way I never have any issues in who to root for.

To answer the original question. Team, definitely. College basketball is a coach for me. I tend to follow coaches, and coaching philosophies there.

Other sports, pretty much regional, just because of the coverage factor.
    Ok so here is what did it for me. 3-4 years ago we were in the early stages of the annual Norsemen Trip. Me and 15 buddies or so go to the home Viking and Packer game. I had virtually all Vikings on my team but had to pick up a QB due to an injury or bye or something. Favre was the best player out there. I had to watch Favre beat my Vikes in the dome and go home and found that I won the week in fantasy. Since then I have sworn it off. Many of my buddies razz me pretty good to this day as well as ask some advice on who to start and sit. I just cant do it, even in a free league.

Crazy reason I know but I am sure you all have some superstitions etc that make you behave oddly when the purple is ready to play. I am doing this for the greater good LMFAO!~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast