Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Pick your Punishment

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3052878

Not sold on the idea this is how the justice system is supposed to work.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Pick your Punishment

I am not surprised at all.

If he has been an upstanding citzen since and has been cooperative, they usually work that crap out.

I knew a kid in college that would spend his summers in jail for killing another kid while driving intoxicated. I think he was a minor when it happened. He had to do it for 2 summers.

Doesn't seem like punishment by putting it off like that but it is a definite restriction on your lifestyle if you have to go to jail anytime. I couldn't even phathom the idea of living in a cell.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Pick your Punishment

Sounds like Jamal was in the wrong place at the wrong time...now, I am not defending him at all (no desire to practice criminal law), but the story makes it sound like he got conned into helping out "an old friend"...that may not be the case but if Jamal is otherwise a solid citizen (as much as a young multimillionaire with little or no restrictions on his lifestyle can be), he should be given the benefit of the doubt. I would much rather see the limited resources of the criminal justice system used to put away the most dangerous elements of our society, not used to make some prosecutor's political career by staging high-profile trials that waste taxpayer time and money.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

Pick your Punishment

I just think the punishment should be levied after the verdict. It's like smacking your dog 20 minutes after he knocked the trash over. He doesn't know what the hell is going on. The human brain though more advanced works on the sameprinciple.

You touch a burner you get burnt you don't do it again. you put your hand on a burner and choose to get burnt some time that is convienient for you it doesn't register with reality.

If a crime is commited and you are guilty why are you allowed to choose when to serve your time? Jail time is punishment you should have a huge inconvienence on your life. That's the point. Otherwise don't even punish them just fine em and move on because it's pointless.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Pick your Punishment

Good point, Del Rio...but look at people like Martha Stewart and the rest of the Wall Street/corporate types that are getting the kid glove treatment...bottom line is that money talks, so us poor b*stards are the ones that end up losing in the long run...all the more reason why we as a society need to hold the criminal justice system accountable in hopes that the system improves (don't hold your breath, but one can always hope).
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

Pick your Punishment

Well I say since the justice system fails us all the time, that isntead of punishing the criminals how bout hook up the non-criminals with some monetary benifit. Or some season tickets.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Pick your Punishment

Facing a 10 year minumum prison term to 2 - 6 months served after the football season is over is miscarriage of justice.

This is an obvious case of a celebrity getting a lighter sentence than what the average Joe would have received. I can not believe a District Attorney would have settled this on a pley bargain for anything less than 18 months in jail, and 3 to 5 years probation.

Where is the NFL? Allowing this guy to keep playing after trafficking Cocaine, and Ontarrio is getting suspended for smoking a little weed?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

Pick your Punishment

Exactly.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Pick your Punishment

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Sounds like Jamal was in the wrong place at the wrong time...now, I am not defending him at all (no desire to practice criminal law), but the story makes it sound like he got conned into helping out "an old friend"...that may not be the case but if Jamal is otherwise a solid citizen (as much as a young multimillionaire with little or no restrictions on his lifestyle can be), he should be given the benefit of the doubt. I would much rather see the limited resources of the criminal justice system used to put away the most dangerous elements of our society, not used to make some prosecutor's political career by staging high-profile trials that waste taxpayer time and money.
    I wouldn't say wrong place at the wrong time. He was broker, the go between for the deal. That doesn't boad well.

But the defining point is that that was a different point in his life. B4 football in the NFL. Since coming to the NFL, he has been clean as far as I know.

Pick your Punishment

I'm not defending him but from what I can tell since this incident he has kept his nose somewhat clean or to the point where I have heard anything(of course i dont pay much attention to the ravens) adn from what I can tell he is being a man about it and admitting what he did..... Am I wrong. if I am please correct me because I haven't followed this story or Lewis himself very much
    Through Wind, Snow, Sleet, or Rain, all will feel the purple pain!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast