Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Tad7's Avatar
    Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,451

    Peter King's NFL power rankings

    1. New England
    2. Pittsburgh
    3. New York Giants

    4. Chicago
    I may not like how Jay Cutler babied his way out of Denver, but by Labor Day, the football world will have forgotten, and by Thanksgiving, the most popular baby name in Chicagoland will be Jay. (Unless it's Jerry, as in Angelo, the man who stuck his neck out and made this deal.) Cutler's a big-time player, and I suspect we'll find out over the next few years if he has nerves of steel and can win the big game.

    Now, there's two things we don't know about Cutler and this offense. There's not a great receiver in the house and no promise of one on the way (Angelo should have guaranteed Torry Holt more money to get him to come to the Windy City). So Cutler's going to have to make do with the Devin Hesters and Rashied Davises, apparently. (Not that there's anything wrong with Hester. But he should be a third receiver, using his speed to game-break.)

    Two: How good of a leader can Cutler be, coming in with the knock that he chafes on some teammates. It'll be interesting to see if he meshes well with Brian Urlacher; I don't take for granted that he will. Because of the Cutler factor and because I don't love the defense the way I did two or three years ago, I didn't want to leap the Bears over so many other teams. But then I went back and looked at their 2008 numbers. The bedrock stats for a good defense, I've always thought, are opponents yards per rush, turnovers forced and opponents' yards per pass. The yards per rush, 3.4, was excellent, third-best in the league. Turnovers forced, 32, was very good, second in the league. And yards per pass play by foes, 6.20, was eighth in the league. All good. If Cutler can lead an offense that puts up 400 points, only a point and a fraction more than a year ago, the Bears should win 12.

    5. Indianapolis
    6. Philadelphia
    7. San Diego
    8. Baltimore
    9. Dallas
    10. Tennessee
    11. Atlanta
    12. Arizona
    13. Houston
    14. Green Bay
    I'm shocked the Packers won only six games last year. It just showed how valuable a piece of their puzzle Cullen Jenkins was. At 6-2 and 305 pounds and with good lateral quickness, he should come back from the torn pectoral that caused him to miss 12 games last year and play very well in the new 3-4. This is a team with far better talent than six wins, and I expect Aaron Rodgers to be better in the fourth quarter this year than last, by the sheer experience factor.

    Hiring Dom Capers to run the defense was smart because the 4-3 wasn't working with the talent Green Bay had in-house. With B.J. Raji anchoring the middle, and Jenkins and Clay Matthews and new outside 'backer Aaron Kampman rushing, I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers won 10. But they'll have to run the gamut of a tough schedule the last month of the season (Baltimore, at Chicago, at Pittsburgh, Seattle, at Arizona) to make the playoffs.

    15. Minnesota
    Hard to forecast because the offense is so spotty after Adrian Peterson, and I can only assume that Percy Harvin will stay on the straight and narrow with so much at stake in his life and career, but they don't sell insurance for those kind of things. We don't know who will play quarterback for the Vikes. But either Sage Rosenfels or Favre would be better than Gus Frerotte. Eight times they scored 28 or more last year, mostly with Frerotte playing. The biggest benefit? Minnesota has the easiest first month in football: at Cleveland, at Detroit, San Francisco, Green Bay, at St. Louis. If they don't get out to a 4-1 start, you know something's wrong.
    Full list and explanations:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/05/10/may11/index.html
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

    X MARKS THE SPOT

  2. #2
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180

    Re: Peter King's NFL power rankings

    I bet he has love when Favre comes here.

  3. #3
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: Peter King's NFL power rankings

    "Tad7" wrote:
    1. New England
    2. Pittsburgh
    3. New York Giants

    4. Chicago
    I may not like how Jay Cutler babied his way out of Denver, but by Labor Day, the football world will have forgotten, and by Thanksgiving, the most popular baby name in Chicagoland will be Jay. (Unless it's Jerry, as in Angelo, the man who stuck his neck out and made this deal.) Cutler's a big-time player, and I suspect we'll find out over the next few years if he has nerves of steel and can win the big game.

    Now, there's two things we don't know about Cutler and this offense. There's not a great receiver in the house and no promise of one on the way (Angelo should have guaranteed Torry Holt more money to get him to come to the Windy City). So Cutler's going to have to make do with the Devin Hesters and Rashied Davises, apparently. (Not that there's anything wrong with Hester. But he should be a third receiver, using his speed to game-break.)

    Two: How good of a leader can Cutler be, coming in with the knock that he chafes on some teammates. It'll be interesting to see if he meshes well with Brian Urlacher; I don't take for granted that he will. Because of the Cutler factor and because I don't love the defense the way I did two or three years ago, I didn't want to leap the Bears over so many other teams. But then I went back and looked at their 2008 numbers. The bedrock stats for a good defense, I've always thought, are opponents yards per rush, turnovers forced and opponents' yards per pass. The yards per rush, 3.4, was excellent, third-best in the league. Turnovers forced, 32, was very good, second in the league. And yards per pass play by foes, 6.20, was eighth in the league. All good. If Cutler can lead an offense that puts up 400 points, only a point and a fraction more than a year ago, the Bears should win 12.

    5. Indianapolis
    6. Philadelphia
    7. San Diego
    8. Baltimore
    9. Dallas
    10. Tennessee
    11. Atlanta
    12. Arizona
    13. Houston
    14. Green Bay
    I'm shocked the Packers won only six games last year. It just showed how valuable a piece of their puzzle Cullen Jenkins was. At 6-2 and 305 pounds and with good lateral quickness, he should come back from the torn pectoral that caused him to miss 12 games last year and play very well in the new 3-4. This is a team with far better talent than six wins, and I expect Aaron Rodgers to be better in the fourth quarter this year than last, by the sheer experience factor.

    Hiring Dom Capers to run the defense was smart because the 4-3 wasn't working with the talent Green Bay had in-house. With B.J. Raji anchoring the middle, and Jenkins and Clay Matthews and new outside 'backer Aaron Kampman rushing, I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers won 10. But they'll have to run the gamut of a tough schedule the last month of the season (Baltimore, at Chicago, at Pittsburgh, Seattle, at Arizona) to make the playoffs.

    15. Minnesota
    Hard to forecast because the offense is so spotty after Adrian Peterson, and I can only assume that Percy Harvin will stay on the straight and narrow with so much at stake in his life and career, but they don't sell insurance for those kind of things. We don't know who will play quarterback for the Vikes. But either Sage Rosenfels or Favre would be better than Gus Frerotte. Eight times they scored 28 or more last year, mostly with Frerotte playing. The biggest benefit? Minnesota has the easiest first month in football: at Cleveland, at Detroit, San Francisco, Green Bay, at St. Louis. If they don't get out to a 4-1 start, you know something's wrong.
    Full list and explanations:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/05/10/may11/index.html
    go figure... but chicago at #4.... WOW!!!

  4. #4
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Peter King's NFL power rankings

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    1. New England
    2. Pittsburgh
    3. New York Giants

    4. Chicago
    I may not like how Jay Cutler babied his way out of Denver, but by Labor Day, the football world will have forgotten, and by Thanksgiving, the most popular baby name in Chicagoland will be Jay. (Unless it's Jerry, as in Angelo, the man who stuck his neck out and made this deal.) Cutler's a big-time player, and I suspect we'll find out over the next few years if he has nerves of steel and can win the big game.

    Now, there's two things we don't know about Cutler and this offense. There's not a great receiver in the house and no promise of one on the way (Angelo should have guaranteed Torry Holt more money to get him to come to the Windy City). So Cutler's going to have to make do with the Devin Hesters and Rashied Davises, apparently. (Not that there's anything wrong with Hester. But he should be a third receiver, using his speed to game-break.)

    Two: How good of a leader can Cutler be, coming in with the knock that he chafes on some teammates. It'll be interesting to see if he meshes well with Brian Urlacher; I don't take for granted that he will. Because of the Cutler factor and because I don't love the defense the way I did two or three years ago, I didn't want to leap the Bears over so many other teams. But then I went back and looked at their 2008 numbers. The bedrock stats for a good defense, I've always thought, are opponents yards per rush, turnovers forced and opponents' yards per pass. The yards per rush, 3.4, was excellent, third-best in the league. Turnovers forced, 32, was very good, second in the league. And yards per pass play by foes, 6.20, was eighth in the league. All good. If Cutler can lead an offense that puts up 400 points, only a point and a fraction more than a year ago, the Bears should win 12.

    5. Indianapolis
    6. Philadelphia
    7. San Diego
    8. Baltimore
    9. Dallas
    10. Tennessee
    11. Atlanta
    12. Arizona
    13. Houston
    14. Green Bay
    I'm shocked the Packers won only six games last year. It just showed how valuable a piece of their puzzle Cullen Jenkins was. At 6-2 and 305 pounds and with good lateral quickness, he should come back from the torn pectoral that caused him to miss 12 games last year and play very well in the new 3-4. This is a team with far better talent than six wins, and I expect Aaron Rodgers to be better in the fourth quarter this year than last, by the sheer experience factor.

    Hiring Dom Capers to run the defense was smart because the 4-3 wasn't working with the talent Green Bay had in-house. With B.J. Raji anchoring the middle, and Jenkins and Clay Matthews and new outside 'backer Aaron Kampman rushing, I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers won 10. But they'll have to run the gamut of a tough schedule the last month of the season (Baltimore, at Chicago, at Pittsburgh, Seattle, at Arizona) to make the playoffs.

    15. Minnesota
    Hard to forecast because the offense is so spotty after Adrian Peterson, and I can only assume that Percy Harvin will stay on the straight and narrow with so much at stake in his life and career, but they don't sell insurance for those kind of things. We don't know who will play quarterback for the Vikes. But either Sage Rosenfels or Favre would be better than Gus Frerotte. Eight times they scored 28 or more last year, mostly with Frerotte playing. The biggest benefit? Minnesota has the easiest first month in football: at Cleveland, at Detroit, San Francisco, Green Bay, at St. Louis. If they don't get out to a 4-1 start, you know something's wrong.
    Full list and explanations:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/05/10/may11/index.html
    go figure... but chicago at #4.... WOW!!!
    I don't like to put specific numbers to rankings, but I can see why they would rank both Minny and Green Bay in the middle third of the league.
    I am surprised that Chicago was ranked top ten and second overall in the NFC.
    Chicago may have the best QB in the division (right now), but their WR corps is the worst.
    So this is a little high IMHO.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    155

    Re: Peter King's NFL power rankings

    Obviously this guy has no clue in how to analyze football, yeah that's right I said it he can't analyze, he totally ruled out the fact that we have one of the leagues best defenses and also i know the whole situation with Favre right now but regardless I don't know how a qb could do bad in our offense now with the addition of Harvin. I think we should at least be a top ten team in rankings because right now with out Favre it lowers our stock. I will say the bears will be good but not that good,
    their recievers are so-so and the defense is probably the only good thing on that team besides Forte and Cutler. The packers ahead of us is terrible too and i really hate how he puts new england ahead of the steelers, I have to show a little love to the steelers cuz i live in Pittsburgh and btw i am goin to the week 7 game with my dad who is a steeler fan, that's goin to be hard to deal with lol, but anyway case and point this guy is a real idiot, i don't know who is worse, him or Dr.Z

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Peter King's NFL power rankings

    Interesting read my friend.

    Been snooping around some sites and I believe Dallas is a bit overated.
    Sure wouldn't put them as high as they are here.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,529

    Re: Peter King's NFL power rankings

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Interesting read my friend.

    Been snooping around some sites and I believe Dallas is a bit overated.
    Sure wouldn't put them as high as they are here.
    Because Peter King is a hack.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  8. #8
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Peter King's NFL power rankings


    Wow, the bears at number 4 ???, we aren't in the top 10 ???. Just gotta bring the big stick out and whoop em' cause they don't seem to be paying attention.... I like it.....Big Stick Goes Boom.....Skol Vikings.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,061

    Re: Peter King's NFL power rankings

    I think that Indianapolis is really high. They're on the decline in my eyes and have no capable back-ups behind most of their starters.

    Chicago, I'm not going into. Apparently the most hyped team is the best one or something, because I can't come up with any other logical analysis.

    I think that the Texans are way to high there aswell. Steve Slaton is great, but what do they really have over lets say the Vikings or Packers? Most things about them are very mediocre.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf


  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Peter King's NFL power rankings

    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Interesting read My Sexy Little Pixie.

    Been snooping around some sites and I believe Dallas is a bit overated.
    Sure wouldn't put them as high as they are here.
    Because Peter King is a hack.
    Gotta agree there.
    He does write for SI.
    Biggest collection of hacks east of the Star Trib and Pioneer Press if you ask me.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Early Power Ranking by Peter King
    By Rockmolder in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 09:35 AM
  2. Peter Pricko's Power Rankings
    By mountainviking in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 01:24 AM
  3. Peter King: Early Power Rankings
    By marstc09 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 01:31 PM
  4. VIKINGS #10 in Peter King's Fine Fifteen
    By VikingMike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 09:14 PM
  5. Peter King's 2007 NFL "Dream Team"
    By Zeus in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 02:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •