Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Peppers Wants Out Of Carolina

Overkill and a half. We need offensive talent. I would also rather see us pick up a S and a DT than another DE, on the defensive side. Not to mention my fantasies are partial to Suggs.

On the flip side pressure is so important in a cover 2. We've seen what happens when teams get too much time and WRs start finding big holes in our zone. Even with 3 pro-bowlers on the D-line we left some to be desired in terms of pressure.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

It would take BIG MONEY to bring him in.
    We need to spend that on a QB to compete with Jackson.

Besides, with Udeze coming back we're glutted with DE's opposite Allen.
    I like Robison and Edwards, and Udeze's solid against the run.
    Who do we cut?

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"jessejames09" wrote:
    Overkill and a half. We need offensive talent. I would also rather see us pick up a S and a DT than another DE, on the defensive side. Not to mention my fantasies are partial to Suggs.

On the flip side pressure is so important in a cover 2. We've seen what happens when teams get too much time and WRs start finding big holes in our zone. Even with 3 pro-bowlers on the D-line we left some to be desired in terms of pressure.
    Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Chicago, are a couple of teams that went to or won a Superbowl with Dominating defenses, and not much of a offense. Sure having a lights out offense is fun to watch, but I would rather have a dominating defense that would allow a so so offense to control the game.
    Think of it this way. With everyone's take on Chilly and the offense/play calling wouldn't it be better to have dominating defense to win you the game?

Besides last time we had a lights out Offense,look what happened
    :'(

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"SKOL" wrote:

Who do we cut?
    Jayme Mitchell

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"SKOL" wrote:

Who do we cut?
    I would along with everyone like to see Udezee come back. But we have to remember that he is coming back from a serious illness.
    So he may not be able to come back or come back to a level anywhere near he was before.

BRING HIM INNN!

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    But he can only be productive at the RDE position.
    You gonna move JA to LDE?
    Yeah, he only has 56 sacks and 20 forced fumbles from the left side over his career.
    He'd never be able to handle the move back to that side after playing on the right side for an entire year.

Seriously though, he says that he is seeking new challenges, and I wonder what that means.
    Is he looking for a better team?
    A better defensive line to play next to?
    More money?
    A certain position or role?

If he's looking for freedom to rush the passer on every play, I don't think he'd want to play here.

He's also a couple years older (29 tomorrow) than the Vikings front office prefers.

But he'll probably be getting a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of $70-80 million for six years with about $20 million up front.
    The Vikings could make that work with the cap, and still re-sign Birk or bring in another similarly valued player.
    Of course, the future CBA is completely up in the air, and with it future cap implications.

So, very unlikely.
    But it'd be extremely awesome.
    Very good discussion points, however you failed to include that last year he sucked at the LDE position and after being moved to the RDE position his numbers went back up.

Hmmmmmm, seems to me that it is obvious that he wouldn't want to go back to be non-productive...
    Are you kidding me?
    You said that "he can ONLY be productive at the RDE position." (emphasis added).
    He obviously has been productive at the left end position before, as I noted above.
    In addition to the stats, he's been to three pro bowls and was voted to two all-pro teams on the left side.

Now, 2007 was not a good year for him.
    This could have been for many reasons.
    Maybe he was struggling through injuries (he did finish the season on IR).
    Maybe he just had a bad year.
    I don't know, the whole team was terrible.

But do you really think this guy turned into Zoolander and can't turn right anymore?
    His physical skills now prevent him from rushing the passer and playing on the left side?

Sure, he had a bad year so now he is only qualified to play on the right side against the most talented offensive linemen in the league.
    That doesn't make any sense to me.

What you're doing is confusing correlation and causality.
    Yes, his numbers went up in 2008.
    Yes, he switched to the right side in 2008.
    But it does not necessarily follow that his numbers went up because he switched to the right side.

I don't know if he will want to play on the left side or not.
    But there's no good reason to think he couldn't.

"SKOL" wrote:

Who do we cut?
    A QB would be a better investment, if the team can find the right QB.
    My guess is no such QB will be available.
    If the Vikings want to find a true franchise QB, they will probably have to do it through the draft.

Lesser QBs - stopgaps - such as Garcia or that guy that once played slightly east of Minnesota would not eat up an incredible amount of cap space.

Our current defensive ends certainly factor into the equation.
    We have several players that are solid starters.

But none of them are all-pros.
    None of them have been registering double digit sack seasons for years, while fighting through constant double teams.
    Julius Peppers is a monster, one of the best in the game.
    In my opinion, Mario Williams is the most dominant defensive end in the league, with Julius Peppers a close second.
    You can find space on the roster for that type of player.

But yes, it certainly reduces the likelihood that the team would shell out big bucks for the guy.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    But he can only be productive at the RDE position.
    You gonna move JA to LDE?
    Yeah, he only has 56 sacks and 20 forced fumbles from the left side over his career.
    He'd never be able to handle the move back to that side after playing on the right side for an entire year.

Seriously though, he says that he is seeking new challenges, and I wonder what that means.
    Is he looking for a better team?
    A better defensive line to play next to?
    More money?
    A certain position or role?

If he's looking for freedom to rush the passer on every play, I don't think he'd want to play here.

He's also a couple years older (29 tomorrow) than the Vikings front office prefers.

But he'll probably be getting a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of $70-80 million for six years with about $20 million up front.
    The Vikings could make that work with the cap, and still re-sign Birk or bring in another similarly valued player.
    Of course, the future CBA is completely up in the air, and with it future cap implications.

So, very unlikely.
    But it'd be extremely awesome.
    I read just today actually that he wants to play in a 3-4 defense.
    He said that he feels like he can excel and dominate in that type of D.
    He isn't totally out of the question though for 4-3 teams as he also said he would also welcome a new system of 4-3 as well...

"gamecocksbaseball31" wrote:
    I read just today actually that he wants to play in a 3-4 defense.
    He said that he feels like he can excel and dominate in that type of D.
    He isn't totally out of the question though for 4-3 teams as he also said he would also welcome a new system of 4-3 as well...
    Very interesting.
    I wonder why he thinks that?
    I can't think of a dominant defensive end in a 3-4 system.
    Off the top of my head, the best that comes to mind is Richard Seymour, and he's far from dominant.
    Usually those guys have to eat up blockers for the linebackers.

Maybe he sees himself as an outside linebacker.
    Those are the guys that really pile on the stats in a 3-4.
    He's probably athletic enough to pull it off, though his body type is a prototypical 4-3 end.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Doubt this happens but if it does it would be awesome.
    I am sure Peppers would want to go somewhere where the entire defense doesn't rely on him.
    With that front line the offenses would have to keep people in to block on every play.
    That means no more of those cheap underneath passes that kill us becasue we can keep the 3 LBs back and Safeties in.

With a defense like that we would not need an explosive offense.
    We would need an offense that controls the game and doesn't turn the ball over.
    The Vikings finished pretty much middle of the pack this year on offense so even if they brought a Jeff Garcia in it would still be an upgrade over this year and in fact would upgrade the offense.

If there is a way to get Peppers and stay under the cap there is no reason not to.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast