Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: PATS TO PULL OUT A POISON PILL

"rdknieff" wrote:
    "kyleo1967" wrote:
    I'm confused. I though a major part as to why the pill with Hutch was approved by the special master was that the pill itself was the idea of the agent and the player....not the team. These other pills seem to be the idea of the team not the player so should not be allowed?

please clarify
    i'm not really sure...although even without that "pill" I still wouldn't match the offer. I say contest it anyway, just to make sure no more aholes try and pull this stuff.
    Seattle never argued that the poison pill was illegal because there was nothing to say that it wasn't they argued that since they changed the contract of Walter Jones that it did not matter which of course they lost.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

HEY SEAHAWKS!!

[size=24px]YOUVE OUTSMARTED YOURSELVES!![/size]
    :laughing3: ottytrain2:

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"adamv" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    "adamv" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    At some point the league, or a judge, is going to have to rule that a particular poison pill is ridiculous and unlawful. The one with Burleson went over that line. Why didn't the Seahawks just flat out build in a poison pill, "if Burleson plays for the Minnesota Vikings his contract is guaranteed"?

At least the Vikings had some risk involved with Hutchinson's contract. McKinnie will be looking for big bucks in the near future. They will either lose McKinnie, guarantee Hutch's contract, or convince him to re-negotiate.
    If I remember right it was the highest paid olineman in 06. Not much risk there for the viks if they don't intend to resign him now.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2375444

At issue is a so-called "poison pill" clause that the Vikings included in the contract. It stipulates that Hutchinson must be the highest paid offensive lineman on his team after the first year of the contract and that, if he isn't, the entire contract becomes guaranteed. The provision is a difficult one for the Seahawks, who have the right to match the Minnesota offer, because offensive tackle Walter Jones is the team's highest paid lineman and would be even if Hutchinson were on the Seattle roster.

I don't know, maybe I read it wrong? Nah, you did.
    Just cause you read it doesn't make it true...
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2002878084_webhawk20.html
    touché

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"SKOL" wrote:
    "adamv" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    "adamv" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    At some point the league, or a judge, is going to have to rule that a particular poison pill is ridiculous and unlawful. The one with Burleson went over that line. Why didn't the Seahawks just flat out build in a poison pill, "if Burleson plays for the Minnesota Vikings his contract is guaranteed"?

At least the Vikings had some risk involved with Hutchinson's contract. McKinnie will be looking for big bucks in the near future. They will either lose McKinnie, guarantee Hutch's contract, or convince him to re-negotiate.
    If I remember right it was the highest paid olineman in 06. Not much risk there for the viks if they don't intend to resign him now.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2375444

At issue is a so-called "poison pill" clause that the Vikings included in the contract. It stipulates that Hutchinson must be the highest paid offensive lineman on his team after the first year of the contract and that, if he isn't, the entire contract becomes guaranteed. The provision is a difficult one for the Seahawks, who have the right to match the Minnesota offer, because offensive tackle Walter Jones is the team's highest paid lineman and would be even if Hutchinson were on the Seattle roster.

I don't know, maybe I read it wrong? Nah, you did.
    Just cause you read it doesn't make it true...
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2002878084_webhawk20.html
    touché
    I think the one you read, SKOL, was a misprint. I also recall reading several places that only the first year is required. That being the case, we are free to bolster Bryant's contract next season with no fear of guaranteeing Hutch.

I've already stated that I think the Burleson contract is BS. I doubt the "5 games in Minny" will hold up, but the "paid less than the combined total fo all RB's" might - they ahd a second wammy there just in case.

Either way, losing Burleson hurts us a lot less than losing Hutch hurts them. At the end of the day, we're still better off.

Caine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234