Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Patriot Food for Thought

If the season ended right now the Patriots would have the #2 pick in the draft.
    I know it could go up depending on how the niners do for the rest of the season, but really is anybody expecting them to put up much of a fight.
    Wouldn't that just be a kick in the pants if the dominant Patriots could pick up a player like McFadden in the draft?
    And if the Patriots did win the superbowl this year would it be egg in the face of the NFL Commish if the supposed "spygate" team not only won it all, but gets the #2 pick?

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Patriot Food for Thought

Yeah, Goodell should have at least taken away the higher of the two picks. What an oversight.
    ???
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It isn't an oversight.
    The higher pick is San Fran's pick, not the Patriots.
    On draft day 2007, the Patriots traded the 28th selection in the draft to the 49ers who selected OT Joe Staley. In return, the Patriots g0t the 49ers fourth round pick this year and San Francisco’s first round pick in 2008.
    The trade and spygate had nothing to do with each other.

Besides, you could not know for certain that the pick they got from San Fran would have been better.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    It isn't an oversight.
    On draft day 2007, the Patriots traded the 28th selection in the draft to the 49ers who selected OT Joe Staley. In return, the Patriots g0t the 49ers fourth round pick this year and San Francisco’s first round pick in 2008.

Besides, you could not know for certain that the pick they got from San Fran would have been better.

Understood, but why couldn't Goodell have stated New England would lose the higher of their two 1st round picks?
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Blog Entries

"Schutz" wrote:
    I know it could go up depending on how the niners do for the rest of the season, but really is anybody expecting them to put up much of a fight.
    Wouldn't that just be a kick in the pants if the dominant Patriots could pick up a player like McFadden in the draft? And if the Patriots did win the superbowl this year would it be egg in the face of the NFL Commish if the supposed "spygate" team not only won it all, but gets the #2 pick?
    Why would it be egg in Goodell's face?
    The Patriots would have had that pick regardless.
    They were already punished for spygate by losing their first round draft pick in 2008.
    It isn't his fault that San Fran was stupid and traded a high fourth round and a potentially high first round pick for a low first rounder.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    It isn't an oversight.

Understood, but why couldn't Goodell have stated New England would lose the higher of their two 1st round picks?
    I see what you mean, but I think he needed to be decisive and not overly harsh - especially in light of the fact that it turns out more and more NFL teams are doing the same thing.
    Maybe he knew more than the general public did regarding the issue...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    It isn't an oversight.

I see what you mean, but I think he needed to be decisive and not overly harsh - especially in light of the fact that it turns out more and more NFL teams are doing the same thing.
    Maybe he knew more than the general public did regarding the issue...

WHAT?

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Wouldn't that just be a kick in the pants if the dominant Patriots could pick up a player like McFadden in the draft? And if the Patriots did win the superbowl this year would it be egg in the face of the NFL Commish if the supposed "spygate" team not only won it all, but gets the #2 pick?
    They were already punished for spygate by losing their first round draft pick in 2008.
    It isn't his fault that San Fran was stupid and traded a high fourth round and a potentially high first round pick for a low first rounder.
    I should have explained more in depth.
    I personally am fine with the Patriots having the number 2 pick.
    But a lot of casual fans who only get to hear about the big "spygate" thing hear about the draft only to find out those supposed cheaters have the number two pick, and won the superbowl?
    That's what I meant by egg in the face.
    There is quite a few things in sports where the casual fan who doesn't know the full story will start the grumblings and make something out of it.

Blog Entries

"Schutz" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    I should have explained more in depth.
    I personally am fine with the Patriots having the number 2 pick.
    But a lot of casual fans who only get to hear about the big "spygate" thing hear about the draft only to find out those supposed cheaters have the number two pick, and won the superbowl?
    That's what I meant by egg in the face.
    There is quite a few things in sports where the casual fan who doesn't know the full story will start the grumblings and make something out of it.
    I understand what you were saying now.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Schutz" wrote:
    Wouldn't that just be a kick in the pants if the dominant Patriots could pick up a player like McFadden in the draft?
    And if the Patriots did win the superbowl this year would it be egg in the face of the NFL Commish if the supposed "spygate" team not only won it all, but gets the #2 pick?
    The Patriots shouldn't have lost any draft picks. It should have been a slap on the wrist and a fine, or a coaching suspension. Not taking away a first round draft pick. That's taking a starting player off of their roster.

They violated a stupid rule that prevents them from filming opposing coaches from their sidelines, when they can just sit in the booth, zoom in, and get the same results.

I know "a rule's a rule" and the fact that they blatantly defied it,even after being warned, means they should be punished. But I don't think any team deserves to have a starting player removed from their roster.

Not to mention the incoming rookie who goes first pick second round is losing out on a ton of cash. He'd better hope his agent can talk the team who picks him into giving him first round money since technically he is the 32nd overall pick, and any other season he would be a first round draft pick.

But it is pretty scary to think about, if the Pats add Darren McFadden to that roster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast