Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Patrick Surtain Traded

len Pasquerelli reports that Surtain and a 5th round pick has been traded to the cheifs for their 2nd and 5th round pick. Not surprising.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Patrick Surtain Traded

Chiefs | Surtain Coming Aboard in Draft Pick Trade - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:49:46 -0700

Here is the article from ESPN.com

After two months of staring longingly at Patrick Surtain, the Chiefs finally blinked.

Kansas City acquired Surtain, a three-time Pro Bowl cornerback, in a trade Friday after acquiescing to the Dolphins' demands for a second-round draft choice.

Surtain must pass a physical exam and the pertinent paperwork must be filed with the NFL for the deal to be official. All parameters of the trade, including a new contract for Surtain, have been agreed upon in principle.

Surtain will sign a seven-year contract worth $50.8 million, with $14 million in guarantees included, league sources have told ESPN.com. Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil confirmed Surtain's signing to The Associated Press but did not provide financial details.

The deal makes Surtain the third highest-paid cornerback in the NFL, behind Denver's Champ Bailey and Baltimore's Chris McAlister. Surtain was en route to Kansas City on Friday morning to undergo a physical.

The teams have been talking on and off for several weeks, ever since the Dolphins granted Surtain and his representatives permission to seek trade scenarios. The one constant in the negotiations: Miami was steadfast in maintaining that it would not trade Surtain for less than a second-round pick. The Chiefs had been offering a fourth-rounder, but finally reconciled that it would take a second-round choice to complete a deal.

The teams also swap fifth-round choices in this weekend's draft.

In securing Surtain, one of the NFL's premier cover cornerbacks, the Chiefs fill one of their most pressing needs. Team president and general manager Carl Peterson has done a nice job this offseason addressing a defense that statistically ranked next-to-last in the league in 2004. Acquiring Surtain, however, clearly is the most significant defensive upgrade the Chiefs have made since the conclusion of last season.

Only two days ago, Peterson acknowledged that time was running out for the possibility of the trade. Dolphins coach Nick Saban countered by noting that Miami would simply retain Surtain for this season rather than deal him for less-than-market value. The trade earlier this week of Raiders cornerback Phillip Buchanon, in which Houston sent second- and third-round picks to Oakland, helped validate Saban's asking price.

Buchanon is younger than Surtain but hardly as accomplished.

Surtain, 28, was scheduled to earn a base salary of $5.85 million with the Dolphins for the coming season and carried a hefty salary cap charge of about $8.3 million.

The seventh-year veteran, a second-round pick of the Dolphins in 1998, has appeared in 108 games and started 82. For years, the former Southern Mississippi player teamed with Sam Madison to give Miami one of the top cornerback tandems in the league.

For his career, Surtain has 29 interceptions and 86 passes defensed, along with 340 tackles, 6½ sacks, four forced fumbles and four recoveries. He has recorded at least two interceptions every season of his career and had five or more pickoffs three times. Last season Surtain played in 15 games and had four interceptions and 11 passes defensed.

gpete13 is offline Starter

I think this was a good deal for the Chiefs.

"gpete13" wrote:
    I agree. Their defense is very much improved.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"gpete13" wrote:
    I agree. Dont count the cheifs out yet. They seem to be beefing up their defense just like the vikes.

fred3105 is offline Coordinator

Bad trade I think. The Dolphins would of taken a 3rd but the Chiefs did not have one.If the Chiefs would of just waited another day they could of traded down the 2nd and picked up a 3rd in my opinion.
    http://homepage.mac.com/vijayr/PSU/MM05PSU2.mov (Mario Manningham)

Space Coyote Guest

Surtain was just on 610 Sports (AM talk radio) here in Kansas City saying that he is looking forward to playing against the Raiders and Randy Moss.
    He said that he is just like Randy: a unique player, best in their respective positions.

I'm looking forward to watching Moss and the Raiders smoke the Chiefs all season long.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"Space Coyote" wrote:
    Surtain was just on 610 Sports (AM talk radio) here in Kansas City saying that he is looking forward to playing against the Raiders and Randy Moss.
    He said that he is just like Randy: a unique player, best in their respective positions.

I'm looking forward to watching Moss and the Raiders smoke the Chiefs all season long.
    Getting posterized by randy all season isn't something I would be looking forward too

BigK is offline Training Camp

Surtain said that, wow. He's good but Moss is going make him want to retire after playing him about 3 or 4 times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast