Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Panthers’ Smith carted off field with injury

SPARTANBURG, S.C. - Carolina Panthers All-Pro receiver Steve Smith was carted off the field Saturday with a hamstring injury on the opening day of training camp.

Midway through the afternoon session, Smith pulled up while running a long route down the left sideline. He immediately clutched his left hamstring, took a couple of steps and fell to the ground.

Two trainers came to his side, and new teammate Keyshawn Johnson also came over to check on Smith, who slowly got to his feet after about a minute. He threw his gloves in anger, got onto the back of the cart and was brought inside.

“It seems like he probably strained it,” Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. “He’s done this before in training camp.”

Smith, who led the NFL with 103 receptions for 1,563 yards and 12 touchdowns last season, missed the final week of June’s coaching sessions with hamstring pain.

Panthers defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, who is returning from a knee injury, had back spasms following the morning workout.

Jenkins, who missed all but five games in the past two seasons with knee injuries, walked gingerly to the locker room after the workout. He attempted to practice early in the afternoon session, but ended up riding a stationary bike.

“He made a move and took a hand in the muscle and suffered spasms,” Hurney said.

Also Saturday, the Panthers released reserve defensive end Otis Leverette after he failed a physical due to illness.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Panthers’ Smith carted off field with injury

I thought for sure this was going to be some other Smith that played for Carolina.

My bold prediction: If Steve Smith is injured when the Vikes play him, Smoot won't get burned by him again.

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I thought for sure this was going to be some other Smith that played for Carolina.

My bold prediction: If Steve Smith is injured when the Vikes play him, Smoot won't get burned by him again.
    Balls of steel my friend, balls of steel.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

vikes4ever88 is offline Training Camp

He'll be back and probrably at 100%. They said it wasn't the first time it happened, and look at his productivity last season. Smoot shouldn't be too happy about this.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Doesn't sound too serious.

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

I do not like any injury, especially one in camp but this does not sound serious. But i still do not like him or Keyshawn it is funny now they are on the same team

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"vikes4ever88" wrote:
    He'll be back and probrably at 100%. They said it wasn't the first time it happened, and look at his productivity last season. Smoot shouldn't be too happy about this.
    :roll: Yawn. Sorry. This old, drawn out, half thought argument judging Smoot puts me to sleep sometimes...

Anyway... probably isn't too serious, but it is something to keep an eye on. Hamstring injuries can plaque a WR sometimes...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

:beathorse:

Yeah. It was only because of Smoot. No other reason. I mean it isn't like Smith lead the NFL in receptions last year. And we had a great defensive coaching staff...

Maybe we could bring up a couple of love boat jokes too... I mean, why let any issue from 2005 die...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

My guess is even if Smith is back when they play the Vikes, Smoot will not be guarding him so LET IT GO! :roll:

Thank you Josdin for the sig

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:

:beathorse:

Yeah. It was only because of Smoot. No other reason. I mean it isn't like Smith lead the NFL in receptions last year. And we had a great defensive coaching staff...

Maybe we could bring up a couple of love boat jokes too... I mean, why let any issue from 2005 die...
    Oh for the love of God - take it easy my friend. :roll: It was meant only as a light hearted joke. Obviously it was not only Smoot's fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast