Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Pacman could be suspended for entire 2007 season

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

PACMAN SUSPENSION COMING?

Don Banks of SI.com reports that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to suspend Titans cornerback Pacman Jones in the near future, and that the suspension could apply to the entire 2007 season.

Although Banks tries (in our opinion) to stir up a little trouble by writing in the first paragraph of his story that the suspension will come "even before the legal process from a Las Vegas strip club brawl in February is complete," deeper in the piece Banks reveals the real impetus for the move -- Jones' failure to disclose to the team a pair of arrests from early 2006, during which Jones was charged with felony obstruction of a police officer and marijuana possession.

"I don't think [the NFL] will have to wait for the legal process to take its course in this particular situation,' a source told Banks. "Not in the case where the player has failed to report arrests and transgressions, like he's mandated to do under the terms of the personal conduct clause in his contract."

But the trigger here isn't any personal conduct clause in Jones' contract.
    It's the league's Personal Conduct Policy.
    This specific document, as we've previously explained, mandates disclosure of player arrests.
    But Jones never told the Titans about these incidents.

And because such behavior is unprecedented since the policy was enacted, Goodell's hands aren't tied by precedent.
    Also, smacking Jones hard for his failure to come clean will deter other players from doing the same thing.

So good for Goodell.
    Though we're not sure that sitting out for a season will be enough to finally prompt Jones to "get it," it's the right decision for a guy who, to date, clearly doesn't.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Re: Pacman could be suspended for entire 2007 season

I would be surprised if he gets a whole year. In fact I would say highly doubtful.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would love to see it though.
    I am sure the NFLPA would step in if that happened, but it would definately send a message.

The fact that Goodell isn't tied by any precedent leaves him a lot of freedom.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I would love to see it though.
    I am sure the NFLPA would step in if that happened, but it would definately send a message.

The fact that Goodell isn't tied by any precedent leaves him a lot of freedom.
    Based on what Gene Upshaw is saying about working out a new conduct policy, I'm not sure that they would.
    This is a CLEAR violation of the NFL's conduct policy (as the blurb states) and Jones has no room to wiggle on this one.
    I could definitely see a year happening to make a point about non-disclosure and lying.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

True there is no prior case to reference, BUT I would expect the NFL to keep it in terms of other violations both on the field and off the field. A year will not happen, write it down.

"Del" wrote:
    True there is no prior case to reference, BUT I would expect the NFL to keep it in terms of other violations both on the field and off the field. A year will not happen, write it down.
    I respectfully disagree.
    In his time in the league he's been busted numerous times - but that's not the issue.
    The issue is he failed to comply with the NFL's Personal Conduct policy by not informing the league of his transgressions.
    As Goodell now has the chance to set the precedent, I believe he'll want to come down hard - especially when dealing with a punk like this one.

=Z=

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

A better situation to send a message could not possibly have happened for Goodell.
    High profile player, obvious violations (multiple)...whack him hard.
    If not a year, I am confident Upshaw will support a pretty severe penalty given the recent visits by veterans to the front office.
    In fact, I woule be willing to bet the majority of players would support a severe message to Pacman.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I respectfully disagree.
    In his time in the league he's been busted numerous times - but that's not the issue.
    The issue is he failed to comply with the NFL's Personal Conduct policy by not informing the league of his transgressions.
    As Goodell now has the chance to set the precedent, I believe he'll want to come down hard - especially when dealing with a punk like this one.

=Z=
    Yes and when the gentlemen stomped on someone's face during a game and everyone was ready to burn him at the stake I stuck by my claim that he would get a fine and not have to sit out the remainder of the year.

There is no doubt in my mind he will not sit out the year.

When you show up late to a team meeting, when you stomp on someones face that has no helmet, those are code of conduct issues too.

Code of Conduct is a broad spectrum and there have been more severe breakings of the the rules that resulted in less then a season suspension.

davike is offline Team Alumni

He won't get a whole year as they will pull strings to get him on the field,
    I agree with del, there has been much worse with less punishment. I think pacman deserves to be suspended though.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

"davike" wrote:
    He won't get a whole year as they will pull strings to get him on the field,
    I agree with del, there has been much worse with less punishment. I think pacman deserves to be suspended though.
    The Titans are contemplating releasing Jones, and signed Nick Harper to replace him.
    I doubt they would "pull strings" to get him on the field.

Again - this incident is without precedence.
    This isn't about any of the incidents in question - it is about LYING to the NFL about arrests he didn't report.
    That's a whole different ball of wax than getting busted and telling them.

=Z=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast