akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

packers to trade Ferguson???

For now, at least, both Sherman and Ferguson said the Eagles hadn't contacted the Packers regarding a trade. The Eagles reportedly have been in the process of assessing available wide receivers as a potential replacement for starter Todd Pinkston, who is out for the year with a torn Achilles' tendon, but are in no hurry to make a move.

It has been only 14 months since the Packers paid Ferguson a $3.5 million signing bonus. Ferguson is one of Sherman's favorite players: He is unselfish and tough, he willingly plays special teams and he still might develop into a starting-caliber receiver.

At the same time, general manager Ted Thompson always has said that he will do what's best for the organization. Trading Ferguson within the NFC isn't as preferable as dealing with an AFC team, but that's a small price to pay if the compensation is worthwhile.

The Eagles are so deep on defense that many of their backup players could help the Packers. A trade of Ferguson for one of those players plus a draft choice would be one possibility.

Perhaps the Eagles' deepest position is defensive tackle, where Mike Patterson was drafted in the first round as the eventual successor to Corey Simon. The Eagles are counting the franchise tag of $5.134 million against their salary cap for Simon, whose 32 sacks rank second to Dallas' La'Roi Glover among all defensive tackles in the last five seasons.

If the Packers could acquire Simon, he'd walk in as their No. 1 defensive player. Simon, 28, would start alongside Cletidus Hunt or Grady Jackson, neither of whom can be trusted by the organization.

Before the draft, the Eagles had a trade worked out sending Simon to Baltimore for second- and third-round selections, but Simon wouldn't accept a $12 million signing bonus from the Ravens.

Cincinnati and San Francisco reportedly wanted Simon as well, but he demanded too much money. Earlier in the month, Buffalo expressed interest.

As it stands now, Simon probably will report the week before the first game to start collecting on his $5.134 million.

Let's say Simon, who had multiple shoulder and knee operations at Florida State (the Packers passed him physically in 2000) but has missed just two games for the Eagles in five seasons, agreed to play for the Packers. For the sake of speculation, Green Bay might trade Ferguson and a draft choice for Simon.

The Packers, who are about $3 million under the cap, would take a $1.55 million hit on Ferguson. It'd be difficult to accommodate Simon's new contract, but one way would be to pay him $6 million of signing bonus now and then perhaps another $7 million in 2006.

If Brett Favre retires after this year, they'd gain ground against the cap for '06. If not, they'd have to restructure Favre's base salary of $7 million to handle the second portion of Simon's signing bonus.

Green Bay would have to determine if Simon, a team-oriented player who is on the small side at 6 feet 1 1/2 inches and 293 pounds, is a good fit for coordinator Jim Bates. Also, acquiring Simon probably would make it more difficult to re-sign some of their good players, including Ryan Longwell, Ahman Green and Javon Walker

SamDawg84 Guest

Re: packers to trade Ferguson???

i want them to trade ferguson to the broncos.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

I thought when a player is traded, the signing bonus is accelerated to the team that is trading him away, not passed on to the team getting him. I don't understand that. Where's cajun? Or jackyl? Help me understand this....
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Dear packer organization,

Do the trade for simon! Give up a draft pick and make yourselves financially strapped so Favre retires, and you can't sign any of your halfway decent players! In return you'll get one decent defensive lineman that won't make up for all of your other deficiencies on D!!

VKG4LFE

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    I thought when a player is traded, the signing bonus is accelerated to the team that is trading him away, not passed on to the team getting him. I don't understand that. Where's cajun? Or jackyl? Help me understand this....
    Simon has the franchise tag, so the new team would have to sign him to a new contract...therefore there is no existing bonus to accelerate...only the new bonus which is all on the new team...and they can spread it out however they negotiate it.

BTW, I was in Los Angeles, Los Angelis... :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

And I'm sure that side of California will never be the same again.. lol.