Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Packers: Three games in prime time

FRI., APR 7, 2006 - 2:33 AM

[size=18px]Packers: Three games in prime time[/size]

JASON WILDE
    608-252-6176
    [email protected]

A 4-12 finish in 2005 - not to mention quarterback Brett Favre's continued indecision about playing this season - made the Green Bay Packers less appealing than usual to the television networks in 2006.

The Packers found themselves with only three national TV appearances and 11 Sunday noon starts when the NFL released its schedule Thursday. That's in stark contrast to last year, when they got the maximum number of high-profile games - three "Monday Night Football" appearances, one Sunday night game and a Christmas Day game - and only five Sunday noon games.

Last year, 10 of the Packers' 16 games were slated to be on national television when the schedule came out.

"You have to face reality, and coming off 4-12, you're not going to be the national draw you were previously," Packers president Bob Harlan said. "But for 13 years, we were a pretty good draw."

Even with their poor finish and Favre's uncertain future, the Packers weren't shut out on national exposure. Although they are not scheduled to play on NBC's "Sunday Night Football," which is now the league's premier prime-time game, they will be on ESPN's "Monday Night Football" twice: Oct. 2 at Philadelphia and Nov. 19 at Seattle.

The Packers' other national TV game is Thursday, Dec. 21 at home against Minnesota on the NFL Network. If Favre does return - he said last week that 2006 will be his final season if he plays - that would be his last regular-season game at Lambeau Field.

"I think the fact they were scheduling without knowing if Brett Favre is going to be back, and they still gave us three national games, shows you the Green Bay Packers are still an appealing draw," Harlan said. "The ratings were good last year even when we weren't playing well. I think it speaks well for us (considering) where we are. I think it's still a popular franchise and we still get ratings."

With the league having instituted flexible scheduling for late-season Sunday night games, the Packers also could end up with one of those games should they enter the final weeks in playoff contention.

The Packers close out the season with three consecutive NFC North Division games: Dec. 17 at home against Detroit, the NFL Network game against the Vikings and a New Year's Eve game at Chicago. The Detroit and Chicago games are Sunday noon starts that could be moved.

"If it's a tight division race, there could be some interesting games," Harlan said.

The team's Nov. 19 home game against the New England Patriots also is subject to flexible scheduling and could be moved.

First-year coach Mike McCarthy will open his career with back-to-back home games: Sept. 10 against Chicago at 3:15 p.m. and Sept. 17 against New Orleans at noon. The Packers also finish the preseason with a home game Aug. 31 or Sept. 1 against Tennessee, meaning the team will be home for three straight weeks before playing at Detroit on Sept. 24.

"When that ball is kicked off for that first (regular-season) game, I'm not going to be thinking about it being my first game. I could be wrong, but I just think it's a clear advantage to be playing at home, period," McCarthy said Thursday night.

"I definitely think there's value there because it helps you from a planning and preparation standpoint, not having to do a lot of traveling. So I really like the way it starts, with the two home games."

Other items of note regarding the schedule:

* The "Gold" season-ticket package games at Lambeau Field - for former Milwaukee County Stadium season ticketholders - are Sept. 17 against the Saints and Nov. 19 against the Patriots.

* For the second straight year, the bye week arrives after five games. The Packers' Week 9 bye in 2004 was their latest since the NFL went to the one-bye schedule in 1994. Since then, only twice have the Packers had a bye after fewer than five games.

* The schedule includes games against only three 2005 playoff teams: Chicago, New England and Seattle.

* After playing on Christmas Day last year and Christmas Eve two years ago, the Packers will have Christmas off because of their Dec. 21 game against the Vikings.

Packers: Three games in prime time

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Packers: Three games in prime time

wow i did not realize they had so many national tv games last year

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The Packers' other national TV game is Thursday, Dec. 21 at home against Minnesota on the NFL Network. If Favre does return - he said last week that 2006 will be his final season if he plays - that would be his last regular-season game at Lambeau Field.

"The Packers close out the season with three consecutive NFC North Division games: Dec. 17 at home against Detroit, the NFL Network game against the Vikings and a New Year's Eve game at Chicago. The Detroit and Chicago games are Sunday noon starts that could be moved.
    I just sat and watched the NFL Schedule release show online and how many times did they mention that the Vikes game could be Favres last Lambeau appearance and that Chicago could be his last NFL appearance ? Pleaaaaseee .... I can see the Vikes game being the Ultimate Favre lovefest to end them all. The thought of it is making feel sick already but I hope that both we and the Bears kick his butt all around the field in both games just to remind him what he's leaving behind ! :violent1:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

Why does ESPN say the Vikes have 4 prime time games? I only see 3...

"Redmption" wrote:
    Where do you see ESPN says we have 4 prime time games? I can only see 3.

There is also the potential for more. Keep in mind the Vikings are also slated for some more possible prime time games via the flex-schedule.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Frankly, I don't think that the Packers even deserve that many prime time games. If you go 4-12, you shouldn't be scheduled for national TV at all.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    Frankly, I don't think that the Packers even deserve that many prime time games. If you go 4-12, you shouldn't be scheduled for national TV at all.
    That was my thoughts on it & why I posted the article.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Redmption" wrote:
    Where do you see ESPN says we have 4 prime time games? I can only see 3.

There is also the potential for more. Keep in mind the Vikings are also slated for some more possible prime time games via the flex-schedule.
    ALL teams are slated for more possible prime-time games via the new flex schedule. So - if Arizona happens to be 12-1 in Week 14 (stop laughing), the NFL could elevate the Arizona-Tampa game to the prime Sunday spot on NBC.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

Per John Clayton:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2399404

"More than anything else, there was plenty of strategy involved in how the networks positioned themselves for the 2006 season. Because a team can be on prime time only four times, it was easy to see why the Colts ended up with three prime-time contests compared to four by the Steelers, Giants, Broncos and Vikings."

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    The Packers have Favre (maybe). As a future Hall-of-Famer, that carries national interest. Plus - they are the Packers - which makes for good ratings. A Vikes-Pack game in Prime-Time means good ratings and high advertising income.

Once Favre is gone and they sink back into the mediocrity of the Lynn Dickey era, they will disappear from national TV, most likely.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast