Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
    dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: Are the Packers Now the Favorite in the NFC North?

Caine wrote:
    dfosterf wrote:
    I understand how Vikings fans couldn't fathom a Ted Thompson as GM. His modus operandi would never transfer to Minnesota.

Ted is in the perfect spot, perhaps the only place in the entire NFL where his philosophy regarding the methodology of securing talent would be tolerated.

Ours is a "patient" franchise, and is under no extreme pressure to produce immediate results or risk not having butts in the seats, or threats of change of venue, etc.

There is no single rich owner being swayed by the masses.
    Instead, there is a "collective" approach to the critique of Ted and his decision-making.

It can be frustrating to so many fans- the "Why the HELL doesn't he go out and get so and so [insert FA here}!!??".

He has been proven right more often than wrong, and while I personally wish he would in fact come off some of his rigidity as regards sticking to home-grown talent vs. FA, his record in the FA arena is stellar, and he IS coming into this season with a team that is most definitely AT LEAST IN THE CONVERSATION as regards Super-bowl aspirations.

That is not bad for a team that just this past week was pronounced as no longer the youngest team in the NFL for the very first time since Mike and Ted took the reigns.

We are now the 4th youngest team in the NFL.

Most would say that stat is meaningless, and I would agree, except as it pertains to what is being discussed herein about Ted. The stat is reflective of how Ted built this team.

Like I say, his "model" would never work in a place like Minnesota, where the fanbase can become so ambivalent so very quickly--not you guys and gals, your zealotry is duly acknowledged--the REST of the fanbase--the one that would allow the metrodome to wind up with as many Packer fans in it as Vikings fans--seemingly--- That wasn't that long ago...

In whole, In Ted I trust- as frustrating as that can be at times.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying...and I completely agree that Ted is in the perfect place to be "Ted". Nowhere else would tolerate his perceived inability to pull the trigger on potential critical FA signings that would have possibly boosted the Packers into contention a lot sooner, and a lot more convincingly.

I live in Southern WI...and I am forced to watch the Packers almost as closely as I watch the Vikings in order to refute the many wild and unsubstantiated claims to greatness and glory that the resident Packtards make on a weekly basis. In doing so, I have noticed that there is a strong local undercurrent of fans who are not happy with Thompson's lack of FA action, and who would prefer to have a more active GM...the supposition being that the addition of X, Y, and Z Free Agents might have boosted the team into contention sooner.

When I look at Green Bay, I see a team that is a probable Play-Off team, but one that is aging in key areas (Driver's getting up there, and your CB's are aging fast). And for every rookie you draft that lights it up (Clay Matthews), you're watching a veteran decline (Al Harris - who was, ironically, a FA acquisition...but not one of Ted's).

What if Ted was willing to pull the trigger on a key big name, big money guy? Wolf did it, as I mentioned before, and returned the team to respectability and won a Superbowl. Thompson won't/doesn't.

So, from where I sit, unless the stars allign perfectly, I see Green Bay having a Viking-like run of near misses and "should have beens'.

Our excuses have been a horrible owner (Red *sucks squirrels* McCombs) and a questionable Coaching staff (Chiller/Bevell). Yours will be what?

Caine
    I'll have to get back to you on that one, but I can assure you I will have come up with something quite credible at that time. :P

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Caine wrote:
    dfosterf wrote:
    I understand how Vikings fans couldn't fathom a Ted Thompson as GM. His modus operandi would never transfer to Minnesota.

Ted is in the perfect spot, perhaps the only place in the entire NFL where his philosophy regarding the methodology of securing talent would be tolerated.

Ours is a "patient" franchise, and is under no extreme pressure to produce immediate results or risk not having butts in the seats, or threats of change of venue, etc.

Instead, there is a "collective" approach to the critique of Ted and his decision-making.

It can be frustrating to so many fans- the "Why the HELL doesn't he go out and get so and so [insert FA here}!!??".

He has been proven right more often than wrong, and while I personally wish he would in fact come off some of his rigidity as regards sticking to home-grown talent vs. FA, his record in the FA arena is stellar, and he IS coming into this season with a team that is most definitely AT LEAST IN THE CONVERSATION as regards Super-bowl aspirations.

That is not bad for a team that just this past week was pronounced as no longer the youngest team in the NFL for the very first time since Mike and Ted took the reigns.

Most would say that stat is meaningless, and I would agree, except as it pertains to what is being discussed herein about Ted. The stat is reflective of how Ted built this team.

Like I say, his "model" would never work in a place like Minnesota, where the fanbase can become so ambivalent so very quickly--not you guys and gals, your zealotry is duly acknowledged--the REST of the fanbase--the one that would allow the metrodome to wind up with as many Packer fans in it as Vikings fans--seemingly--- That wasn't that long ago...

I agree with a lot of what you're saying...and I completely agree that Ted is in the perfect place to be "Ted". Nowhere else would tolerate his perceived inability to pull the trigger on potential critical FA signings that would have possibly boosted the Packers into contention a lot sooner, and a lot more convincingly.

I live in Southern WI...and I am forced to watch the Packers almost as closely as I watch the Vikings in order to refute the many wild and unsubstantiated claims to greatness and glory that the resident Packtards make on a weekly basis. In doing so, I have noticed that there is a strong local undercurrent of fans who are not happy with Thompson's lack of FA action, and who would prefer to have a more active GM...the supposition being that the addition of X, Y, and Z Free Agents might have boosted the team into contention sooner.

When I look at Green Bay, I see a team that is a probable Play-Off team, but one that is aging in key areas (Driver's getting up there, and your CB's are aging fast). And for every rookie you draft that lights it up (Clay Matthews), you're watching a veteran decline (Al Harris - who was, ironically, a FA acquisition...but not one of Ted's).

What if Ted was willing to pull the trigger on a key big name, big money guy? Wolf did it, as I mentioned before, and returned the team to respectability and won a Superbowl. Thompson won't/doesn't.

So, from where I sit, unless the stars allign perfectly, I see Green Bay having a Viking-like run of near misses and "should have beens'.

Our excuses have been a horrible owner (Red *sucks squirrels* McCombs) and a questionable Coaching staff (Chiller/Bevell). Yours will be what?

Caine
    "So, from where I sit, unless the stars allign perfectly, I see Green Bay having a Viking-like run of near misses and "should have beens'."

Caine,
    Thanks buddy, I am sitting here now, in a pair of shorts, wet with Coffee, that came out of my nose. You sure know how to put things, most the time.
    Viking-like run of near misses and "should have been's" ????? Hell, no questions about that, it's been our teams way since "61" And it looks like we will continue to be just who we are...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

NordicNed wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    dfosterf wrote:

Caine
    "So, from where I sit, unless the stars allign perfectly, I see Green Bay having a Viking-like run of near misses and "should have beens'."

Caine,
    Thanks buddy, I am sitting here now, in a pair of shorts, wet with Coffee, that came out of my nose. You sure know how to put things, most the time.
    Viking-like run of near misses and "should have been's" ????? Hell, no questions about that, it's been our teams way since "61" And it looks like we will continue to be just who we are...
    Always doing my part to return you to the glory of "Naked Ned".

Tell your wife I apologize for the mess....

Caine

dfosterf is offline Coach

You guys (gals) do know I have borne witness to every single one of your melt-downs, yes ? Or no--got no prob w/ either...

:P

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

dfosterf wrote:
    This should make you laugh. NO-- It is NOT a Puker fan, it's a QUEEN fan, and NO - he is not being complimentary towards Aaron. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Mu6pfEA5I&feature=player_embedded
    Great stuff! Rodgers for MVP!
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikingLance is offline Starter

I liked Rogers facial expression the moment he threw the INT. (around 3:30). He new it was going to be a pick.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Prophet wrote:
    dfosterf wrote:
    This should make you laugh. NO-- It is NOT a Puker fan, it's a QUEEN fan, and NO - he is not being complimentary towards Aaron. Enjoy!

+1
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    dfosterf wrote:

+1
    LMAO.

Instant cred point for the Dennis Green/ Ric Flair memorabilia strategically displayed in the background of the pine wainscoated paneling of his mothers basement.

Watch out Florio, this guy is coming....

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

It's starting to look that way.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

poisoning16 is offline Rookie

Ok Ted, I know its early, but lock up Clay Matthews for a lifetime contract. This guy is ridiculous

can't teach players to have a motor like that. It's just non-stop with him

As far as the Vikes go, it's too early in the season. Giants were 0-2 in 2007 and we know how that turned out. They do need to figure taht offense out. I fully expect them to trade for V-jax, now. Harvin is banged up, and Berrian is a joke

And, even though he is on the Vikes, I can't hate AP. Dude was playing his butt off to get that win today. Just love how he plays the game

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast