Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

The chances of the Vikes ending up with Kampman next year are very small.

The more I've thought about this, the more I realize that the Packers simply must put the Franchise tag on Kampman.
    To let Kampman become a free agent would be just plain stupid when he will certainly be worth a high draft pick.

There will be teams interested in Kampman despite the injury and his ineffective year in the 3-4.
    His sack numbers and all around production the previous three years are too good.
    The question is the final price.
    My guess is that his age, dip in production, and injury, are worse than Allen's off-field concerns.
    I'd guess a second rounder, maybe a first.
    The worst case for the Packers can't be worse than a 3rd rounder.

So if he's franchised, the Packers will get to choose where he goes.
    They will not trade a pro-bowl quality defensive end to their division rivals.

In the unlikely event that the Packers don't franchise the guy, he will be a free agent.
    Well, without a new CBA the Vikings likely will be restricted in the free agents they can sign (see here), and wouldn't get a shot at him.

So not likely.
    He'd be an improvement over Ray.
    But Edwards has looked good lately and it's not a priority anyway.
    I won't lose sleep over it.
    The Packers are going to lose a good player, so that's good.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Some things that I factored in to my decision.......

a.
    Not much to go on here but typically it takes Vets a couple of years to figure our scheme out and do well.
    b.
    Kampman would probably cost more than Ray.
    c.
    Ray has been playing well for 2 years.
    Some of you just haven't noticed. I know I have cause I really didn't think he could carry the extra weight and stay healthy.

IMHO the front office pukes would really miss the mark if they didn't opt to resign Ray.
    Cat has gone above and beyond for this team.
    He should be rewarded as such.
    To anything else could cause other players to question the FO pukes commitment when it comes to rewarding players who sacrifice for the betterment of the team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    Not much to go on here but typically it takes Vets a couple of years to figure our scheme out and do well.
    b.
    c.
    Some of you just haven't noticed. I know I have cause I really didn't think he could carry the extra weight and stay healthy.

IMHO the front office pukes would really miss the mark if they didn't opt to resign Ray.
    To anything else could cause other players to question the FO pukes commitment when it comes to rewarding players who sacrifice for the betterment of the team.
    We have more pressing needs.
    The knee injury cost Kampman a lot of $.
    And Edwards deserves more credit than he's received.

I agree Marddro.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.

We have more pressing needs.
    The knee injury cost Kampman a lot of $.
    And Edwards deserves more credit than he's received.

I agree Marddro.
    Thanks my friend.

On a side note.
    WW and I were out buying wine this weekend for our trip to watch the Bungals game.
    Tasted 4 or 5 bottles.
    None were as good as yours.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.

First, I want to make it clear that I like Ray Edwards' play, and I don't see him as a "weak link" on our defense.

Some comments on your points:
    a.
    I don't think that a defensive end needs that much time to play well in a new scheme. Jared Allen came here and arguably had his best season.
    b.
    No doupt. Ray Edwards has a very low salary considering his impact on this team. Like Kampman, Ray will also be a free agent next year, but I doupt that he will ask for nearly as much as Kampman will.
    c.
    Ray Edwards is definitely playing well, but I think that Jared Allen, Pat Williams, and Kevin Williams is making it an lot easier for him. I shake by the thought of how many sacks Kampman would have piled up on this D-line. There is a good chance that we would have had two players in the sack lead.

"HEY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.

First, I want to make it clear that I like Ray Edwards' play, and I don't see him as a "weak link" on our defense.

a.
    I don't think that a defensive end needs that much time to play well in a new scheme. Jared Allen came here and arguably had his best season.
    b.
    No doupt. Ray Edwards has a very low salary considering his impact on this team. Like Kampman, Ray will also be a free agent next year, but I doupt that he will ask for nearly as much as Kampman will.
    c.
    Ray Edwards is definitely playing well, but I think that Jared Allen, Pat Williams, and Kevin Williams is making it an lot easier for him. I shake by the thought of how many sacks Kampman would have piled up on this D-line. There is a good chance that we would have had two players in the sack lead.
    a.
    Kampman is no JA.
    c.
    Depends on what you think his role would be.
    In this scheme he would still have run contain first.
    That in itself would slow him down and limit his sacks, just as it does with Ray.
    Then throw in the mix of "Game time" situations.
    Rays numbers were down cause the score dictated run/short pass.
    Harder to get sack numbers in that situation.

Now, with our current starter we are up alot more.
    Teams are trying to get down field more.
    Sack numbers increase.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.

a.
    b.
    c.
    a.
    Kampman is no JA.
    c.
    That in itself would slow him down and limit his sacks, just as it does with Ray.

Sack numbers increase.

I think you're undervaluing Kampman's play in the run game a bit.
    I don't watch him too much, but he's had very good tackle numbers.
    That would suggest he gets around the ball in the run game as well, even if it's not proof positive.
    I just don't think that the Vikings would be asking him to play the run anymore than the Pack did at the same position, and I don't think he would be a liability.

That said, the initial point of re-signing Ray Edwards is right.
    The guy has played very well.
    His tackle and sack numbers are up, but more generally he has really stood out the past several games.
    He's been able to beat guys and make a big impact on games.

I would take Kampman over Edwards if I had the choice.
    But between the injury, his age, and Edward's strong play, it's not an incredibly strong preference.
    You also have to factor in the potential cost, at least in terms of draft picks, and then it becomes a situation where I'd probably rather have Edwards.

But it's unlikely the Vikes will have any sort of shot at Kampman anyway.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Simply, we don't need him....But he would be a upgrade....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.

d. I hate everyone and everything that ever put on a Packers uni.

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    b.
    c.

a.
    b.
    c.
    a.
    Kampman is no JA.
    c.

Sack numbers increase.

[size=10pt]I think you're undervaluing Kampman's play in the run game a bit. [/size]
    I don't watch him too much, but he's had very good tackle numbers.
    That would suggest he gets around the ball in the run game as well, even if it's not proof positive.
    I just don't think that the Vikings would be asking him to play the run anymore than the Pack did at the same position, and I don't think he would be a liability.

That said, the initial point of re-signing Ray Edwards is right.
    The guy has played very well.
    His tackle and sack numbers are up, but more generally he has really stood out the past several games.
    He's been able to beat guys and make a big impact on games.

I would take Kampman over Edwards if I had the choice.
    But between the injury, his age, and Edward's strong play, it's not an incredibly strong preference.
    You also have to factor in the potential cost, at least in terms of draft picks, and then it becomes a situation where I'd probably rather have Edwards.

Nice catch my friend.

I have many failings in life and admit to all of them, and in this case, it would be very hard for you to find anything were I have been a outright "Rah Rah" kindof guy for any player who has been on that team, with possibly, one except,....... Ole Fergy almost made it.
    To bad he started on the wrong team.

Cat played the game the right way.
    ;D

I could almost insert a certain starting QB's and DE's name in there and anyone who is a honest man would admit to believing they would never be a Viking, much more so with respect to the QB.

Long story short, stranger things have happened in the NFL the last 5 years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast