Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,195
    Blog Entries
    1

    Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    Aaron Kampman has been one of the best left ends in football for many years. He is a very durable player (has missed only one game in his last 5 years) and he brings the complete package at left end.
    He's a feared pass rusher with 15.5 sacks in 2006 (2nd in NFL), 12 sacks in 2007, and 9.5 sacks in 2008.
    He's a great run stopper with 80+ tackles in both 2006 and 2005 (Allen's career best is 77 tackles in 2006)
    Kampman has also been to a couple of Pro Bowls and still has many years left in him as he's "only" 29 years old.

    Kampman was feared by offensive tackles for many years, but he is not nearly as feared in the 2009 season as the Packers switched to the 3-4 defensive formation. Consequently, Kampman had to play linebacker instead. It's simply not his position and it is clear on tape. The numbers speaks for itself , only 3.5 sacks in 9 games is definitely not what we are used to see from Kampman.

    So the Packers don't need Kampman. What should they do?
    Trade him? the Packers know that they can get great value for him, but he will be a free agent after this season.
    Switch back to the 4-3 defense? I doupt that they will go back after only one year.

    Point is; the Packers have a great player and they are far from utilizing his talent. Kampman probably wants to play in his natural position, and the Packers do not want to pay him Jared Allen-type of money when they're only getting an average linebacker productivity from him.

    This will make it much easier to get Kampman; personally, I hope that the Vikings would consider him. RE is not a big need since Ray Edwards is doing a great job on the opposite side of Jared Allen, but imagine having arguably the best DT, RE, and LE together on the same team! We'll be unstoppable!!!


    Here's an article about the subject:

    [size=14pt]Green Bay Packers: How Much Can They Get for Aaron Kampman?[/size]
    by Matthew Wells

    Link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-aaron-kampman

  2. #2
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    I would love to sign Kampman.
    Mainly because I hated seeing him play so well for the Packers.

    But I don't see it happening..
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    +1

    .....I think.
    That article had an interesting side bar, (Top NFL Girlfriends) that totally obliterated everything from my thought processes.
    Had to reread everything, and though I'm still a little woozy I'm pretty sure HEY has it right.

  4. #4
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,195
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    "Bkfldviking" wrote:
    +1

    .....I think.
    That article had an interesting side bar, (Top NFL Girlfriends) that totally obliterated everything from my thought processes.
    Had to reread everything, and though I'm still a little woozy I'm pretty sure HEY has it right.
    You're not the only one who gets easily distracted

    ;D ;D

  5. #5
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    Vikes don't need him, putting more cap space in the DL is foolish.
    Who knows what the cap situation will be after the new CBA.
    IMO Edwards is good enough for now and hasn't reached his peak yet.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  6. #6
    pack93z's Avatar
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,465

    Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    First I think the title of the thread is very misleading.. the Packers desperately need the likes of Aaron Kampman to help on this defense. But the simple reality is that he is limited in the current role, and I believed then as I believe now that the Packers should have moved Kampman at the trading deadline for both parties.

    His value was at its max at the break as he still is a very effective player with his hand down, jumping out of the stance and getting under the tackle/tight end. Pass rushing from an up position he never has duplicated the same burst and angle that he has coming from the down position.. he has been refining his game since day one to be a 4-3 end.. and was very good at it. He is better in coverage than I believed, but he really struggles at the point of attack from the up position.

    It would have been best for Kampman to move to a 4-3 team then.

    And the Packers could of gotten value at that point for him.. now even healthy, they would have to franchise him and then try and work a deal to move him.. all the while tying up hefty numbers to have it all work out.

    Kampman is a very good player.. just being used 60% of the time in a less than advantageous position. They finally figured out someplace about week 5 or 6 to let him come out of the down position in passing down and he started to produce again..

    Now both he and the Packers are in a tough spot.

  7. #7
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    "pack93z" wrote:
    First I think the title of the thread is very misleading.. the Packers desperately need the likes of Aaron Kampman to help on this defense. But the simple reality is that he is limited in the current role, and I believed then as I believe now that the Packers should have moved Kampman at the trading deadline for both parties.

    His value was at its max at the break as he still is a very effective player with his hand down, jumping out of the stance and getting under the tackle/tight end. Pass rushing from an up position he never has duplicated the same burst and angle that he has coming from the down position.. he has been refining his game since day one to be a 4-3 end.. and was very good at it. He is better in coverage than I believed, but he really struggles at the point of attack from the up position.

    It would have been best for Kampman to move to a 4-3 team then.

    And the Packers could of gotten value at that point for him.. now even healthy, they would have to franchise him and then try and work a deal to move him.. all the while tying up hefty numbers to have it all work out.

    Kampman is a very good player.. just being used 60% of the time in a less than advantageous position. They finally figured out someplace about week 5 or 6 to let him come out of the down position in passing down and he started to produce again..

    Now both he and the Packers are in a tough spot.
    If the Pack does tag him won't his $$$ be too high for most teams?
    Franchise tag is the average of the top 5 at the position?
    Which would be WAY to high for a guy having an average year at OLB and season ending knee surgery.

    I don't see Kampman wanting to continue to play OLB when as a DE he would be more valuable, given sacks are highly prized.

    Pack will let Kampman go into FA and get nothing for him.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  8. #8
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    "gagarr" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    First I think the title of the thread is very misleading.. the Packers desperately need the likes of Aaron Kampman to help on this defense. But the simple reality is that he is limited in the current role, and I believed then as I believe now that the Packers should have moved Kampman at the trading deadline for both parties.

    His value was at its max at the break as he still is a very effective player with his hand down, jumping out of the stance and getting under the tackle/tight end. Pass rushing from an up position he never has duplicated the same burst and angle that he has coming from the down position.. he has been refining his game since day one to be a 4-3 end.. and was very good at it. He is better in coverage than I believed, but he really struggles at the point of attack from the up position.

    It would have been best for Kampman to move to a 4-3 team then.

    And the Packers could of gotten value at that point for him.. now even healthy, they would have to franchise him and then try and work a deal to move him.. all the while tying up hefty numbers to have it all work out.

    Kampman is a very good player.. just being used 60% of the time in a less than advantageous position. They finally figured out someplace about week 5 or 6 to let him come out of the down position in passing down and he started to produce again..

    Now both he and the Packers are in a tough spot.
    If the Pack does tag him won't his $$$ be too high for most teams?
    Franchise tag is the average of the top 5 at the position?
    Which would be WAY to high for a guy having an average year at OLB and season ending knee surgery.

    I don't see Kampman wanting to continue to play OLB when as a DE he would be more valuable, given sacks are highly prized.

    Pack will let Kampman go into FA and get nothing for him.
    I don't understand why they'd tag him.
    If nobody bites, then they are stuck paying him a massive salary when they really don't need him.
    They're pretty much stuck, Either keep him and pay him alot when he doesn't fit their defense, or let him go for nothing.

  9. #9
    pack93z's Avatar
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,465

    Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    "gagarr" wrote:
    If the Pack does tag him won't his $$$ be too high for most teams?
    Franchise tag is the average of the top 5 at the position?
    Which would be WAY to high for a guy having an average year at OLB and season ending knee surgery.

    I don't see Kampman wanting to continue to play OLB when as a DE he would be more valuable, given sacks are highly prized.

    Pack will let Kampman go into FA and get nothing for him.
    In all probability yes.. hence why I was in support of trading him at the deadline.. again now both parties are in a tough spot.. Kampman trying to get his last large payday and the Packers in a crux of having to apply some type of tag.

    But just because we franchise him at a top 5 tender doesn't mean that the other team has to pay him in that range.. example from the Pack.. Corey Williams two years ago.. franchise, dealt and signed to a large deal but not near top 5 money.

    Simply put.. the Packers won't tag him because their ability to move them and the cost if they get stuck with him will be too high..

  10. #10
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Packers don't need Aaron Kampman

    "pack93z" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    If the Pack does tag him won't his $$$ be too high for most teams?
    Franchise tag is the average of the top 5 at the position?
    Which would be WAY to high for a guy having an average year at OLB and season ending knee surgery.

    I don't see Kampman wanting to continue to play OLB when as a DE he would be more valuable, given sacks are highly prized.

    Pack will let Kampman go into FA and get nothing for him.
    In all probability yes.. hence why I was in support of trading him at the deadline.. again now both parties are in a tough spot.. Kampman trying to get his last large payday and the Packers in a crux of having to apply some type of tag.

    But just because we franchise him at a top 5 tender doesn't mean that the other team has to pay him in that range.. example from the Pack.. Corey Williams two years ago.. franchise, dealt and signed to a large deal but not near top 5 money.

    Simply put.. the Packers won't tag him because their ability to move them and the cost if they get stuck with him will be too high..
    I know you can process that, but can Teddy process that?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Al Harris and Aaron Kampman out for season
    By marstc09 in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 01:05 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 11:42 AM
  4. Packers: Aaron Rodgers shows signs of greatness
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 02:57 AM
  5. Packers agree to long-term extension with Aaron Kampman
    By Jordan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 04:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •