Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

"Prophet" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    Teams do it Del, but it is still considered cheap play! And many players have been hurt from it and have had their careers ended because of it.

A lineman for the Pack was hurt bad a few years ago by a chop block and Sherman was talking about how dirty it was, and now they are going to use and they are kinda bragging about it, in my opinion!
    It's because of the nonverbal given by Thompson....the bastard is up to no good.

"As a former defensive player, I'm totally against cut blocking of any sort," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said with a wry smile Thursday.
    I realize that teams use this type of block, but it is strange that they are outwardly admitting to it. Also, this blurb piques my curiosity.

Though legal to some extent, cut blocking has caused controversy and some serious injuries to defensive players since Denver introduced the zone-blocking scheme in the mid-1990s.

Only a few teams primarily use the scheme, including the Broncos, Atlanta and now the Packers. First-year offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski learned its intricacies under creator Alex Gibbs while coaching Atlanta's offensive line the previous two years.

Gibbs' linemen in Denver were notorious for their cut blocks below defenders' knees, which some felt bordered on cheap shots.
    I can't wait until the Vikings own the Packers this year. I hope they do to them what they did to the Saints last year. Completely embarrass them.
    I think the difference here is how we are interpreting his wry smile. It frustrates a defender to be cut block because you can outweigh a guy buy 75 pounds and he can neutralize you if he does it right. I hate cut blocks too. Nothing pisses you off worse then having your eye on the ball then getting nailed low and having to take attention away from the play and work on breaking free of the cut.

It's annoying. It's a pain in the ass to deal with.

Prophet Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I think the difference here is how we are interpreting his wry smile. It frustrates a defender to be cut block because you can outweigh a guy buy 75 pounds and he can neutralize you if he does it right. I hate cut blocks too. Nothing pisses you off worse then having your eye on the ball then getting nailed low and having to take attention away from the play and work on breaking free of the cut.

It's annoying. It's a pain in the jiggly butt to deal with.
    That is it. I'm thinking the guy is an asshole and the reporter picked up on the nonverbal and included it in the quote giving the quote more meaning. You are thinking of it as a player telling a reporter and giving the wry smile, not to the reporter, but inwardly, as he's thinking about how effective the block can be on a defensive player. Either way, I feel like driving to Green Bay right now and decking Thompson just for the hell of it I say with a fucking wry smile.

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

It's annoying. It's a pain in the jiggly butt to deal with.
    That is it. I'm thinking the guy is an donkey butt and the reporter picked up on the nonverbal and included it in the quote giving the quote more meaning. You are thinking of it as a player telling a reporter and giving the wry smile, not to the reporter, but inwardly, as he's thinking about how effective the block can be on a defensive player. Either way, I feel like driving to Green Bay right now and decking Thompson just for the hell of it I say with a fricken wry smile.
    Punch him once for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234