Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    "whackthepack" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    If I remember Del's earlier explanation, one of the main purposes of legal cut blocks was to force a defensive player to punch down, thereby not being able to swat at a pass.

    I agree with AngleVike though, the Packer's lack of experience at OL could leave them prone to mistakes when using it, which can translate into injuries and penalties.

    "McCarthy" wrote:
    A, the offense needs to do it, and B, the defense needs to defend it.
    Why does their offense need to do it, when the majority of the other NFL teams don't?

    Because they know their O-line is garbage and tho it is legal it is thought of as cheap play. So their pathetic team has to do stuff that most teams don't condone, to try and be competitive!

    Where are the Packer fans that used to call the Vikings a cheap team and said the Vikes played dirty? Where is this moral high ground team that Packer fans used to brag about?

    And why haven't we seen any Packer trolls since training camp opened, telling us how they are going to beat us, go 16 - 0 and win the Superbowl?

    Where are the good Packer fans (there was a few) that used to post on here?

    Because just like the coaching staff of the Packers they know deep down in their hearts that the Packers are losers and pathetic!!!!!!!!!!

    And the Packers having to resort to cheap tactics like this proves that they are a terrible team with terrible coaches and will finish in the basement again! You pathetic losers!

    And it makes it so much more obvious that Favre has completely lost his mind when he made that ridiculous statement about the Packers having the most talent he has played with!


    If the Packers injury one Viking with this cheap type of play the player should sue the Packer's Coaching staff for trying to hurt players on purpose!


    OK my rant is over, you all have a great day!
    I think thats a pretty extreeme over reaction. It isn't considered to be "cheap" by most teams and I guarantee that every NFL team does a handfull of cut blocks during the course of the game.

    Greenbay wont be cut blocking every play.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,160

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    As for the trolls saying they're gonna go 16-0 and win the Superbowl, I know a couple, one of whom is a very good friend of mine. I think he's just in denial, though. :wink:
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

    In AP I trust

  3. #23
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    Del how many times have you heard or seen teams in the NFL come out say they are going to do this and act like they are bragging about it?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  4. #24
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    Never and I don't think they are bragging about it either. They are simply saying they are going to do it, just like Atlanta does, just like Denver does.
    The block is a part of the game every team uses it.

    "It's no different than tackling. Defensive people are going to tackle, offensive people are going to cut," he said. "A, the offense needs to do it, and B, the defense needs to defend it. It's a part of the game. It's not an illegal act or anything like that.

    "It's a part of the way we're going to play and part of the way we're going to play against. We're going to play Atlanta in the second week of the preseason, so we need to get ready for it."

    It's not your problem if the defender doesn't know how counter it. It's part of football.

  5. #25
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    Teams do it Del, but it is still concidered cheap play! And many players have been hurt from it and have had their careers ended because of it.

    A lineman for the Pack was hurt bad a few years ago by a chop block and Sherman was talking about how dirty it was, and now they are going to use and they are kinda bragging about it, in my opinion!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  6. #26
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    quote from the article:

    Though legal to some extent, cut blocking has caused controversy and some serious injuries to defensive players since Denver introduced the zone-blocking scheme in the mid-1990s.

    Only a few teams primarily use the scheme, including the Broncos, Atlanta and now the Packers. First-year offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski learned its intricacies under creator Alex Gibbs while coaching Atlanta's offensive line the previous two years.

    Gibbs' linemen in Denver were notorious for their cut blocks below defenders' knees, which some felt bordered on cheap shots.

    "As a former defensive player, I'm totally against cut blocking of any sort," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said with a wry smile Thursday.
    That is bragging in my opinion!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  7. #27
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    "whackthepack" wrote:
    Teams do it Del, but it is still concidered cheap play! And many players have been hurt from it and have had their careers ended because of it.

    A lineman for the Pack was hurt bad a few years ago by a chop block and Sherman was talking about how dirty it was, and now they are going to use and they are kinda bragging about it, in my opinion!
    I would be interested to see how many players careers are ended because of it. I imagine very very few.

    Astro Turf is more dangerous then a cut block.

    It's a violent game people get hurt. The move isn't dangerous when done within the rules of the game. Not any more dangerous then any other aspect of the game.

    If a team is coming out and publicly crying about it they are hypocrites. Watch how many WR's cut block, how many special teams players cut block. It's ridiculous.

  8. #28
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is online now Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    Teams do it Del, but it is still concidered cheap play! And many players have been hurt from it and have had their careers ended because of it.

    A lineman for the Pack was hurt bad a few years ago by a chop block and Sherman was talking about how dirty it was, and now they are going to use and they are kinda bragging about it, in my opinion!
    I would be interested to see how many players careers are ended because of it. I imagine very very few.

    Astro Turf is more dangerous then a cut block.

    It's a violent game people get hurt. The move isn't dangerous when done within the rules of the game. Not any more dangerous then any other aspect of the game.

    If a team is coming out and publicly crying about it they are hypocrites. Watch how many WR's cut block, how many special teams players cut block. It's ridiculous.
    I actually agree with you Del, the cut block itself is not that dangerous. What is dangerous is the chop block, and in the hands of an inexperienced lineman, a cut block can pretty easily turn into a chop block.

    And even though every team does use it, how many of them use it to the extent that Atlanta and Denver do?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #29
    Prophet Guest

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    "whackthepack" wrote:
    Teams do it Del, but it is still considered cheap play! And many players have been hurt from it and have had their careers ended because of it.

    A lineman for the Pack was hurt bad a few years ago by a chop block and Sherman was talking about how dirty it was, and now they are going to use and they are kinda bragging about it, in my opinion!
    It's because of the nonverbal given by Thompson....the bastard is up to no good.

    "As a former defensive player, I'm totally against cut blocking of any sort," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said with a wry smile Thursday.
    I realize that teams use this type of block, but it is strange that they are outwardly admitting to it. Also, this blurb piques my curiosity.

    Though legal to some extent, cut blocking has caused controversy and some serious injuries to defensive players since Denver introduced the zone-blocking scheme in the mid-1990s.

    Only a few teams primarily use the scheme, including the Broncos, Atlanta and now the Packers. First-year offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski learned its intricacies under creator Alex Gibbs while coaching Atlanta's offensive line the previous two years.

    Gibbs' linemen in Denver were notorious for their cut blocks below defenders' knees, which some felt bordered on cheap shots.
    I can't wait until the Vikings own the Packers this year. I hope they do to them what they did to the Saints last year. Completely embarrass them.

  10. #30
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    Teams do it Del, but it is still concidered cheap play! And many players have been hurt from it and have had their careers ended because of it.

    A lineman for the Pack was hurt bad a few years ago by a chop block and Sherman was talking about how dirty it was, and now they are going to use and they are kinda bragging about it, in my opinion!
    I would be interested to see how many players careers are ended because of it. I imagine very very few.

    Astro Turf is more dangerous then a cut block.

    It's a violent game people get hurt. The move isn't dangerous when done within the rules of the game. Not any more dangerous then any other aspect of the game.

    If a team is coming out and publicly crying about it they are hypocrites. Watch how many WR's cut block, how many special teams players cut block. It's ridiculous.
    I actually agree with you Del, the cut block itself is not that dangerous. What is dangerous is the chop block, and in the hands of an inexperienced lineman, a cut block can pretty easily turn into a chop block.

    And even though every team does use it, how many of them use it to the extent that Atlanta and Denver do?
    Chop blocking and cut blocking are two completely different things. One is illegal and one is not.

    Not many teams do use it to that extent because they don't use a zone running system like Denver and Atlanta. Why do you think Mike Shanahan can turn an average RB into a god? Why is it that Atlanta has had good running teams.....it works.

    I can't blame the Packers for trying a method that is prooven to work. The want to run more and be more dangerous in short over the top passing. They don't want Brett Favre rocketing the ball for interceptions.

    How can you accidentaly block someone from the knee down?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Favre draws ire of ex-Packers
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
  2. Soliciting sex draws fowl sentence for 3
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM
  3. Mud pit draws crowds at Redneck games
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 11:01 AM
  4. Prediction: If Seahwaks win, Packers will get attention
    By audioghost in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 07:33 AM
  5. Packers/Favre- media attention
    By Eyesore in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 07:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •