Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Packers' cut-blocking draws extra attention

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Cut blocking is legal. It has nothing to do with trying to hurt someone and it serves a distinct purpose.
    Sitting around in your tighty whiteys and watchin' wrasslin' is LEGAL too, but it don't mean that it is RIGHT!!!

But Packer fans accept both as the normal way of life, so the team will most likely continue to cut block...and their fans will continue to watch wrasslin' in their smelly, moth-riddled drawers and wife-beaters. :evil4:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"TheCol" wrote:
    Hope they injure some of their own key players on Sat.
    NOT ME...I hope that they SUCK at FULL STRENGTH!!!

Plus, it's bad karma to wish injury on other teams' players!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

"As a former defensive player, I'm totally against cut blocking of any sort," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said with a wry smile Thursday.
    I'll go with weasels on this one. They know they're going to be pathetic and flat out said it. I put this on a similar line with Lamont admitting he didn't study the blocking assignments last year. Admission to being an underachiever and then compensating for it and accidently revealing your compensation to the masses.

Del Rio Guest

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    If I remember Del's earlier explanation, one of the main purposes of legal cut blocks was to force a defensive player to punch down, thereby not being able to swat at a pass.

I agree with AngleVike though, the Packer's lack of experience at OL could leave them prone to mistakes when using it, which can translate into injuries and penalties.

"McCarthy" wrote:
    A, the offense needs to do it, and B, the defense needs to defend it.
    Why does their offense need to do it, when the majority of the other NFL teams don't?
    I'm guessing it is because of their new OC it is just the way he rolls. Most teams don't teach it all the time because in essence you are leaving your feet, and when you do that you become less effective.

Cut blocking is either hit or miss. You don't mess up and correct it, if you mess up the play is over and your defender has a sack and your on the ground ass in the air.

It was used alot in the NFL years ago. Then defenders got better at beating it so I think it died off. It has it's uses. It's a good way for undersized lineman to neutralize a bigger opponent. Not every down though. You want to use it sparingly.

oakmage is offline Starter

A few small points I would like to make and that is was the forty-niners who started the cut blocking, and all teams employ some form of cut blocking in one form or the other.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    If I remember Del's earlier explanation, one of the main purposes of legal cut blocks was to force a defensive player to punch down, thereby not being able to swat at a pass.

I agree with AngleVike though, the Packer's lack of experience at OL could leave them prone to mistakes when using it, which can translate into injuries and penalties.

"McCarthy" wrote:
    Why does their offense need to do it, when the majority of the other NFL teams don't?
    I'm guessing it is because of their new OC it is just the way he rolls. Most teams don't teach it all the time because in essence you are leaving your feet, and when you do that you become less effective.

Cut blocking is either hit or miss. You don't mess up and correct it, if you mess up the play is over and your defender has a sack and your on the ground jiggly butt in the air.

It was used alot in the NFL years ago. Then defenders got better at beating it so I think it died off. It has it's uses. It's a good way for undersized lineman to neutralize a bigger opponent. Not every down though. You want to use it sparingly.
    The biggest danger is the whiff. Number 4 will likely get hit with more clean shots this year if they try to become too reliant on this scheme.
    But it can also lead to some big plays. It's more of a gamble in my opinion.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

nevermind...i can't read.

kosova61 is offline Waterboy

we better be carefuL, because i know about the zone offense,
    we run it on my team, and it works wonders

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

This kind of scares me. We play them twice, I'm sure someone on our team will be bound to get hurt. With that being said, I hope they really suck at it and we, as long as everyone else in the league, destroy them.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:

"McCarthy" wrote:

Because they know their O-line is garbage and tho it is legal it is thought of as cheap play. So their pathetic team has to do stuff that most teams don't condone, to try and be competitive!

Where are the Packer fans that used to call the Vikings a cheap team and said the Vikes played dirty? Where is this moral high ground team that Packer fans used to brag about?

And why haven't we seen any Packer trolls since training camp opened, telling us how they are going to beat us, go 16 - 0 and win the Superbowl?

Where are the good Packer fans (there was a few) that used to post on here?

Because just like the coaching staff of the Packers they know deep down in their hearts that the Packers are losers and pathetic!!!!!!!!!!

And the Packers having to resort to cheap tactics like this proves that they are a terrible team with terrible coaches and will finish in the basement again! You pathetic losers!

And it makes it so much more obvious that Favre has completely lost his mind when he made that ridiculous statement about the Packers having the most talent he has played with!

If the Packers injury one Viking with this cheap type of play the player should sue the Packer's Coaching staff for trying to hurt players on purpose!

OK my rant is over, you all have a great day!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast