Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Packers bring in another kicker

Posted Apr. 13, 2006

[size=18px]Packers bring in another kicker[/size]

By Rob Demovsky
    PackersNews.com

The Green Bay Packers are taking a look at another unproven kicker as a possible replacement for Ryan Longwell.

Less than a week after General Manager Ted Thompson claimed Dave Rayner off waivers from Indianapolis, he signed free agent Rhys Lloyd, who was cut in training camp last summer with the Baltimore Ravens.

Lloyd’s agent, Chris Murray, said the Packers offered his client a contract shortly after he worked out for the team on Monday.

The 6-foot-1 and 220-pound Lloyd, a native of England who played at the University of Minnesota, gives the Packers three kickers on their roster. In addition to Rayner, the Packers signed former Dallas Cowboys kicker Billy Cundiff. Of the three, only Cundiff has made a field goal in an NFL regular-season game. The Packers lost Longwell to the Minnesota Vikings in free agency.

“It’s a great opportunity for Rhys (pronounced Reese),” Murray said. “He’s a massive talent. I’ve seen him make field goals from 70 yards.”

Lloyd comes from a soccer background. His father is a professional soccer coach in England. In only two seasons as the Gophers’ kicker, he finished eighth in school history in career field goals made (26) and third all-time in field-goal accuracy (72.2 percent). He also punted at Minnesota and his career average of 39.6 yards ranked fifth in school history.

“He could be a good punter in emergency situations,” Murray said.

The Packers noticed Lloyd last month, when he kicked at a pro scouting day at Minnesota. Murray said the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns also expressed interest in Lloyd.

At Minnesota, he made game-winning kicks to beat Wisconsin and Oregon.

He made a 35-yarder as time expired to beat the Badgers 37-34. He hit a 42-yarder with 23 seconds left to give the Gophers a 31-30 victory over Oregon in the Sun Bowl.

Packers bring in another kicker

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Packers bring in another kicker

Will they be playing musical kickers? Brett surely isn't coming back now. He can't stand it when his stunning drives produce no points at all because the d@mn kicker can't make a 30 yard field goal. SO SAD GREEN BAY!!

:thebirdman:

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

OMG!!!

BIG SIGNING!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SOO SCARED NOW!!

p.s that was my 600th post!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

“It’s a great opportunity for Rhys (pronounced Reese),” Murray said. “He’s a massive talent. I’ve seen him make field goals from 70 yards.”

...with a 30 mph wind at his back and no opposing team. lol. In his college career, he was only 6 for 19 in field goals over 40 yards. He never attempted a kick with the ravens.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I am a Gopher's fan and I hate Lloyd! His was so inconsistent he made you cringe every time he was kicking our punting, he could hit the big ones and then the next punt or field goal was terrible. Good luck GB I would rather have Doug Brien.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

MN-IsPackerCountry is offline Training Camp

It's really no big deal. Cundiff is gonna be the guy.
    This is my sig that does not exceed site limits.

wow....another big signing! :lol:

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I heard that they are also bringing in Jan Stenerud!!! :evil4:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

"NodakPaul" wrote:

...with a 30 mph wind at his back and no opposing team. lol. In his college career, he was only 6 for 19 in field goals over 40 yards. He never attempted a kick with the ravens.
    ~ LOL, thats the same thing they said about Sebastian Janikowski!

Lloyd also is an alum from my school. Rochester Community and Technical College! Thats where he was playing when the gophers noticed him. I like him, great attitued, he was better than anything the gophers have had in a while.
    Don't forget Mason gets credit like brad johnson, he beats the bad teams and everyone thinks its just fine. But when it comes to good teams he chokes. I had to put that one in there, mason should be gone and the vikings really need to address the QB issue and stop pretending everything will work out.
    You republican whore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast