Packers: Brett Favre Still The Man

WED., JUL 19, 2006 - 12:54 AM

[size=18px]Packers: Still the man [/size]

JASON WILDE
    608-252-6176
    [email protected]
    (First in a series)

GREEN BAY - It will end eventually.

Whether it's by injury (doubtful), ineffectiveness (possible) or retirement (inevitable), Brett Favre's NFL quarterback-record ironman streak of 241 consecutive starts (including playoffs) won't last into perpetuity.

And if for some reason it ends this season ... will the Green Bay Packers be ready?

As first-year coach Mike McCarthy prepares to open his first training camp July 28, he has his fingers crossed that Favre's streak will continue and he won't have to find out.

"You have to," said McCarthy, who was Favre's position coach in 1999 under Ray Rhodes. "I've only had the luxury of playing with a quarterback that's played every game once - and that was Brett in '99. Guys that go 16 games, that's a huge positive, especially at the quarterback position. Of all his numbers and all Brett's accomplished, that's probably the top one. That may be the best, to get up and play every week.

"So obviously we're hoping he plays all 16 again - 16 plus (playoffs)."

Of course, the Packers also are hoping Favre plays better in those 16 games than he did last season, when he threw an NFL-worst and career-high 29 interceptions and registered a career-low passer rating of 70.9.

There are those who believe Favre tuned out the previous coaching staff as last season wore on, but McCarthy vowed this offseason Favre "is going to be coached to play a certain way."

At the team's post-draft minicamp in May, Favre sounded almost defiant about the idea of altering his gunslinger style to be more careful, and he admitted during the organized team activity practices he has had a hard time digesting the new language McCarthy uses in his strain of the famed West Coast offense.

Still, despite the criticism he received last season, Favre gives the Packers their best chance to win, especially with youngsters Aaron Rodgers, the team's 2005 first-round pick, and rookie fifth-round pick Ingle Martin as the backups following veteran security blanket Craig Nall's free-agent defection to Buffalo for a chance to start.

"That's kind of the way the league has gone. If you have an older, veteran guy as your front-line quarterback, you're probably going to be pretty young under him," said McCarthy, who had youngsters Alex Smith, Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey and Cody Pickett with the 49ers last year.

"It's a very young group, so it definitely has its pros and cons. The pro is they're obviously going to continue to grow. They obviously will have the opportunity to grow behind Brett, but it could be an area of concern because of the lack of experience."

Rodgers struggled in his limited mop-up duty (9-for-16, 65 yards, one interception, three sacks, 39.8 passer rating) and generated just one touchdown in 20 possessions in the preseason, when he completed 20 of 37 passes for 172 yards with one TD, two INTs and a 53.0 rating.

"I watched the Baltimore game when he went in," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said of the Packers' 48-3 blowout loss Dec. 19, when Rodgers looked overmatched behind a leaky offensive line. "He had no chance for success. What you have to do with young players is, you have to put them in a position to succeed. Those young guys go in and they make bad decisions.

"But I tell you this, when (Don) Majkowski went down and that No. 4 ran onto the field (in 1992), he had no experience, either."

Packers: Still the man

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Packers: Brett Favre Still The Man

There are those who believe Favre tuned out the previous coaching staff as last season wore on, but McCarthy vowed this offseason Favre "is going to be coached to play a certain way."
    You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

As I read in another article awhile back, some of the names they had for plays last year, mean a whole different play this year.

IMO, that will only lead to mass confusion, except for the rookies who are learning them for the 1st time.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

As I read in another article awhile back, some of the names they had for plays last year, mean a whole different play this year.

IMO, that will only lead to mass confusion, except for the rookies who are learning them for the 1st time.
    mass confusion means more than 29 interceptions.

Prophet Guest

I was surprised that this wasn't a note from Madden.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

And 8 more picks for Sharper, Tank, Winfield and whoever ends up replacing the ineffective Smoot!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

And 8 more picks for Sharper, Tank, Winfield and whoever ends up replacing the ineffective Smoot!
    =Z=
    Smoot will not be replaced. :wink:

Solo tackles per game/ints;

Smoot: 3.4/2

Sharper: 2.9/4

Winfield: 5.6/4

Tank: 3.6/1

"singersp" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

=Z=
    I hope not, since they're paying him the money that Brad should be getting! I'd like to see Smoot do well, of course, but I'm not ready to jump on the "he sucked because of bad coaching" carousel just yet.

=Z=

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Packers | Team hoping Favre stays healthy; plays better
    Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:24:20 -0700

Jason Wilde, of the Wisconsin State Journal, reports the Green Bay Packers are hopeful QB Brett Favre stays healthy for all 16 games in 2006 and that he improves on last year's performance. In 2005 he threw an NFL-worst and career-high 29 interceptions and registered a career-low passer rating of 70.9. There are those who believe Favre tuned out the previous coaching staff as last season wore on, but head coach Mike McCarthy vowed this offseason Favre "is going to be coached to play a certain way." At the team's post-draft minicamp in May, Favre sounded almost defiant about the idea of altering his gunslinger style to be more careful, and he admitted during the organized team activity practices he has had a hard time digesting the new language McCarthy uses in his strain of the famed West Coast offense.

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

=Z=
    I hope not, since they're paying him the money that Brad should be getting! I'd like to see Smoot do well, of course, but I'm not ready to jump on the "he sucked because of bad coaching" carousel just yet.

=Z=
    Or because of one game. :wink:

True, he gets paid more than he is worth. I expect him to have a much better season this year now that Cottrell isn't there to keep the DB's "hands tied" as Winfield pointed out last year.

It irks me when people permanently hate on a player for one bad play or a game & forget all about what that player has contributed to his team throughout his career.l

"singersp" wrote:
    Or because of one game. :wink:

True, he gets paid more than he is worth. I expect him to have a much better season this year now that Cottrell isn't there to keep the DB's "hands tied" as Winfield pointed out last year.

It irks me when people permanently hate on a player for one bad play or a game & forget all about what that player has contributed to his team throughout his career.l
    It irks me when people forget that said player has only been a Viking for ONE season, spent the entire pre-season hurt, had only 2 picks, defended only 7 passes in 11 games and generally made a fool of himself with his woofing on the field.

Also - please remember - I've probably seen Fred Smoot play 10 times more than you have (and that's conservative) since I watched every Redskins game in his career, since I lived in Redskins country. He benefitted from having Champ Bailey on one side from 2001-2003 and Shawn Springs in 2004.

Again - I want Smoot to succeed to justify the money. But he's *never* been a team's shut-down corner.

=Z=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast