Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36
  1. #21
    JPPT1974's Avatar
    JPPT1974 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    252
    Hope that the Packers won't be hurt by the Seahawks win and call by the refs. As the Packers usually pick up after themselves it seems.
    NFL 2013 is Here!

  2. #22
    pack93z's Avatar
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,465
    A couple of thoughts here in response to whether the NFL should overturn the call:

    1. No you cannot overturn this call, even as poorly handled as it was on the field. The replay officials hands were tied, the ref on the field blew it by not conversing with the two officials in the endzone. Once done, the replay official had only one choice.. was there a catch.

    2. I actually side with the NFL in this battle with the officials union. There is no way a part time employee should garner full pensions from a part time gig. I think it ridiculous to cave to those demands. Couple that with the NFL trying to put measures in place to make the officials accountable moving forward by sitting ineffective officials. I have no problem letting them continue to push to officials on this.

    3. Where the NFL has failed here is not giving the officiating crews on the field more guidance in game. We know they are making mistakes, so why not expand the review process to assist them in making calls. The games are already running long, so what is a couple more minutes to get the calls right. They seen the confusion last night, modify the review procedures with the replacements in there to allow the booth to make the correct call.

    4. The Packers, more specifically MM, cost the Packers this game. His stubbornness not to run the ball in the first half, allowing the Seahawks to pin their ears back was pathetic.

    5. There are calls in each game, replacement officials or not, that go against each team. Part of the game is subjective analysis on the fly, they get them wrong. The biggest issue with this, is that they are not administering the correct rule sets to call the games. Look at the passing numbers in correlation to the contact down field. The game which is rigged for offensive advantage has reverted back to the 70's in a single offseason in terms of downfield contact.

    As a Packer fan, I am outraged by the result of the game. But upon review, I think there is so much more to this than just blaming the NFL and Goodell.

    Greed is not just with the NFL.. it is with the players and the officials alike. I want it resolved, but I refuse to lay the entire blame upon the NFL offices alone.
    Last edited by pack93z; 09-25-2012 at 02:09 PM.

  3. #23
    kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by pack93z View Post
    A couple of thoughts here in response to whether the NFL should overturn the call:

    1. No you cannot overturn this call, even as poorly handled as it was on the field. The replay officials hands were tied, the ref on the field blew it by not conversing with the two officials in the endzone. Once done, the replay official had only one choice.. was there a catch.

    2. I actually side with the NFL in this battle with the officials union. There is no way a part time employee should garner full pensions from a part time gig. I think it ridiculous to cave to those demands. Couple that with the NFL trying to put measures in place to make the officials accountable moving forward by sitting ineffective officials. I have no problem letting them continue to push to officials on this.

    3. Where the NFL has failed here is not giving the officiating crews on the field more guidance in game. We know they are making mistakes, so why not expand the review process to assist them in making calls. The games are already running long, so what is a couple more minutes to get the calls right. They seen the confusion last night, modify the review procedures with the replacements in there to allow the booth to make the correct call.

    4. The Packers, more specifically MM, cost the Packers this game. His stubbornness not to run the ball in the first half, allowing the Seahawks to pin their ears back was pathetic.

    5. There are calls in each game, replacement officials or not, that go against each team. Part of the game is subjective analysis on the fly, they get them wrong. The biggest issue with this, is that they are not administering the correct rule sets to call the games. Look at the passing numbers in correlation to the contact down field. The game which is rigged for offensive advantage has reverted back to the 70's in a single offseason in terms of downfield contact.

    As a Packer fan, I am outraged by the result of the game. But upon review, I think there is so much more to this than just blaming the NFL and Goodell.

    Greed is not just with the NFL.. it is with the players and the officials alike. I want it resolved, but I refuse to lay the entire blame upon the NFL offices alone.
    All of the parties involved should be ashamed. The owners for making a mis step by thinking these guys could do the job with nary the time to get up to speed. The refs for asking for a ridiculous contract with pensions even though these guys have been bashed on for years as being too old and slow for the game. The coaches for taking advantage of the situation with the sub refs and trying to intimidat them. The players for being the biggest hypocrits when talking about them being protected when they continually take this situation and do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to take advantage of the subs... Fighting, cheap shots, you name it , and they have done it. Where is their so called protecting the shield?

    The Vikings got jobbed so bad in the Katrina bowl a few years back they changed the rule on OT. It was the most horrendous one sided call job I've ever witnessed and it was with the REAL refs.

    As soon as they come back we'll be bashing them just like before. These subs took on a can't win job. Even if they were great 99 percent of the time these players and coaches and media hacks would have found a way to make them look bad.

    Mc Carthy and the mighty Packers lost this game because they are trying to live off last years glory. The problem is defenses have had a year to find ways to slow down their sandlot offense, but Mc Carthy and Rodgers are too arrogant to know it...

    Hey Aaron, nice six shooter first down move. Is that going to be on your next commercial? Would you ever see Joe Montana , Elway, or Marino do the dumb littel in your face moves Rodgers does. I can't stand that puke...

  4. #24
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,279
    Quote Originally Posted by pack93z View Post

    2. I actually side with the NFL in this battle with the officials union. There is no way a part time employee should garner full pensions from a part time gig. I think it ridiculous to cave to those demands. Couple that with the NFL trying to put measures in place to make the officials accountable moving forward by sitting ineffective officials. I have no problem letting them continue to push to officials on this.
    I'd like to here more of your thoughts on this issue, as it is hard to find good information on what they are actually fighting over.
    Seems to me that everyone else in the NFL is getting paid like full time employees, the NFL referees should too
    I do agree though that NFL refs should be fired as easily as NFL players or coaches if the don't perform up to par. (including every official from the 2009 NFC championship).
    In the end I hope they come to a compromise and improve the officiating of the games, because it has been pretty awful.
    Last edited by jmcdon00; 09-25-2012 at 05:01 PM.

  5. #25
    pack93z's Avatar
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,465
    As I understand the two major points of discussion are.. pension changes and the NFL reserving the right to remove officials from crews when their performance is not up to par.

    One the first issue, the NFL would like to change from a pension to a partially funded 401k type programs. I think it a joke that part time employees have a pension at all, but I digress.

    The second issue is the NFL is pushing for the ability to deactivate officials that are making mistakes on the field (ironic I know, lol). The thinking here, IMO, is that the NFL is trying to take lumps now for future improvement if it has issues in crews. I find it laughable that this is a sticking point by the officials, but it is.

    Here is a solid updated read on it.

    Packers-Seahawks controversy not pushing NFL to make deal with regular refs - Peter King - SI.com

    Additionally the average official with minimal tenure is like 149k I believe.. they want a raise to about 189k in one article.. that is a ton of jack for ~25 days of work.. 75 if you include travel days I suppose.

  6. #26
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by pack93z View Post

    ....the average official with minimal tenure is like 149k I believe.. they want a raise to about 189k in one article.. that is a ton of jack for ~25 days of work.. 75 if you include travel days I suppose.

    $150,000 minimum for a part-time/seasonal gig & they are whining for a raise? For that kind of money they should be able afford to afford their own retirement fund.

    Do they draw unemployment in the off-season?
    Last edited by singersp; 09-26-2012 at 05:19 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #27
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    $150,000 minimum for a part-time/seasonal gig & they are whining for a raise? For that kind of money they should be able afford to afford there own retirement fund.

    Do they draw unemployment in the off-season?
    Yeah who needs them, they can hire any bum off the street to do the job and the games would still be played and the league would get millions apon millions in tv revenue while fans will shell out psl and season ticket $$ to watch surprising/startling entertainment....maybe a fan could get a chance to ref for his favorite team's game.....if he can keep it off his facebook page for a few days before hand.

    I just find it funny that the Packers were the poster child for the league and its books when they did the last cba, got the salary cap rollback after they were showing losses on a land deal, paying off their stadium reno loans early (net profits of 1.9 mill) but now the cba is done just showed a record year with something like 302 mill in revenues (net profit of close to 50 mill for 2011, aren't they nonprofit with non dividend paying shares) but get screwed buy low budget refs.

  8. #28
    Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Portsmouth UK
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I sure see alot of people jumping off the (The PUKERS, BORES and LIONs are gonna dominante) this year.

    I need to go find that thread were I posted the reasons why they would all do bad and we could finish better in the division than most thought.

    You know, the one were everyone disagree'd with me.
    Sorry Marrs but I would have also disagreed with you and tbh probably still do
    Purple till i die

  9. #29
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Yeah who needs them, they can hire any bum off the street to do the job and the games would still be played and the league would get millions apon millions in tv revenue while fans will shell out psl and season ticket $$ to watch surprising/startling entertainment....maybe a fan could get a chance to ref for his favorite team's game.....if he can keep it off his facebook page for a few days before hand.
    Nobody is saying they are not needed. I'm saying most people would be ecstatic making a minimum of $150,000 a year.

    My company makes millions upon millions of dollars of a year too, but that doesn't mean I'm entitled to make $150,000 a year minimum because of it & then demand a higher salary.

    All I'm saying is $150,000 a year minimum seems quite satisfactory for a part time gig.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #30
    El Vikingo's Avatar
    El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,358
    Packers vs Saints .#1 draft pick on the line!!

    Life can be a bitch,huh?
    Last edited by El Vikingo; 09-26-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    El underdog.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •