Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Owners Ban the Horse Tackle?

Not sure how I feel about this really. This tackle is not something I think players strive for, it just sort of happens.

For those who are not sure a horse tackle is where you grab the back of players shoulder pads and yank them to the ground. Usually someone has gotten past a defender, the defender manages to catch up stretch a hand out and grab the pads usually the dip in the pads right behind the neck.

This is the move that broke T.O's leg last year. I think in a way this hurts the game. There should be no rule in regards to this. But there is the owners voted like 27-5 or something and it is going to take effect this year.

What do you guys/gals think?

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Owners Ban the Horse Tackle?

Damn. personally I think its a terrible move... There are going to be a lot of calls against this next year, kinda like the 5 yard rule on corners... Pretty soon its going to turn into two hand touch.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

I agree with this ruling. It seriously injured 6 players last year (4 of them were injured by Roy Williams himself, which suggests that he may do it deliberately.)

Scientifically, it is the most dangerous type of tackle. There is more leverage to put pressure on a player's legs and lower back, which makes injury much more likely than a waist-level tackle from behind. It has the potential to cause career-ending injuries. I think that the owners are right to end this kind of tackling. It is just as bad as a chop block.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Del Rio Guest

6 injuries and many many more tackles then that. Turf injures more people then this move. And yet turf is abundant.

In fact turf was possibly the culprit in many of these cases.

Not arguing I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer, to me it is a bad move. Just another knock against the defense, in an attempt to make the league a more high flying entertaining buisiness.

So what now if a saftey is chasing a player and he is within an arm reach he has to let him go 90 yards to score? It's going to be interesting to see how they execute this rule. Is the velocity you pull the guy down with? Is the motion itself?

It's football. Or at least it was.

Del Rio Guest

'Horse collar' tackle banned by owners
    By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — NFL owners voted 27-5 Tuesday to ban the "horse collar" tackling technique that has contributed to rising injury rates in the league.
    Now if Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee that pushed for the legislation, can just get people to stop calling it the "Roy Williams Rule." (Related video: The hazardous "horse collar")

The Dallas Cowboys safety used the tactic — which involves grabbing the inside of the shoulder pads and immediately yanking the ballcarrier down from the back of his jersey — on plays that resulted in three significant injuries last season.
    "The way he tackled and the way he went about getting people down was absolutely legal (last season)," McKay, the Atlanta Falcons president, said of Williams as league meetings began. "So I don't like the perception that we're after some illegal conduct. We weren't. We were just trying to say, 'We don't want this tactic. As a committee, we're nervous. If this tactic gets copied, this could lead to more injuries.'

"I don't like the fact that it's focused on one guy."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones voted against the proposal, which was tweaked since being tabled at the league meetings in March.

The rule won't apply to plays between the tackles, such as a lineman reaching to grab a running back on a rushing play. And quarterbacks in the pocket won't be protected.
    The competition committee recommended the rule after reviewing injuries from the 2004 season, when they discovered a link to some lower-extremity injuries caused by the pressure of a sudden halt to a ballcarrier's momentum when grabbed from behind.

McKay said the committee felt obligated to protect players in "defenseless" positions. Violators will be penalized 15 yards for a personal foul and/or subject to a fine.

Have wide receivers who benefited from an emphasis on illegal contact calls last season just gained another edge?

"I don't think it will be an advantage," Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith said last week. "But it will be more comfortable going across the middle on shorter routes. You know guys are not going to be able to just grab your collar."

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

The only one I saw use this often was Roy Williams will this affect many players in the game that used this tackle?
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Del Rio Guest

That's the thing this is not a "technique" it is a guy that has been beat and is stretching reaching to make a tackle.

Williams only got the spot light because he hurt TO, TO makes the NFL a lot of money. That's the only reason.

I've seen this in college, in high school, in the NFL every week. One thing that tones it down a bit is between the tackles it won't be enforced and you can still do it to the QB. You know where you see this a lot even from our guys especially our ends is on screen passess.

Yeah I think this will have a bigger role then most people give it credit. This isn't something only one guy does, all teams do it. Defensive ends, lineman, linebackers, cornerbacks, and safties. Williams is just being targeted because he hurt a big named guy who is a cash cow for the NFL.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Think about this:

If you are a defender and you just got burned in the open field by a running back/receiver, you start chasing them. You finally catch up enough to be within an arm's reach of the player. Are you gonna hold up because you don't want to horse tackle? Of course not! This is really the only play it will apply to. Defenders will have the choice of breaking the rule to stop a TD while possibly injuring the player, or follow the rules, and get burned for a TD.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I think it was a stupid decision by the owners. I don't ever want to see anybody get hurt, but I don't think the horse collaring has affected that many people!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Del Rio Guest

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    Think about this:

If you are a defender and you just got burned in the open field by a running back/receiver, you start chasing them. You finally catch up enough to be within an arm's reach of the player. Are you gonna hold up because you don't want to horse tackle? Of course not! This is really the only play it will apply to. Defenders will have the choice of breaking the rule to stop a TD while possibly injuring the player, or follow the rules, and get burned for a TD.
    exactly but it is a 15 yard personal foul. And I'm not sure if it applies to the spot of the foul. This will also apply to runningbacks who run outside of the offensive tackles.

I don't know why they even made the rule really if it comes down to taking a 15 yarder or giving up a touchdown they are still going to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast