Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,763
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    They didn't try hard. In fact they didn't try at all.
    Didn't they try to issue a first round RFA tender on Rice before the new CBA was in place, I know it didn't work but with what was available with their cap space they did try something short of using the franchise tag

    Was Spielman making the bulk of these decisions? If so, with him now our GM, we are screwed.
    My guess is the new CBA and salary cap had a big impact on the decision making as well as resigning Greenway, Robison and looking at extending Peterson's contract and where they would be when it came time to deal with Harvin's contract and a possible extension to his contract in 2012

  2. #22
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Didn't they try to issue a first round RFA tender on Rice before the new CBA was in place, I know it didn't work but with what was available with their cap space they did try something short of using the franchise tag
    Yes, yes they did. Funny how actual facts get ignored when they contradict the point one is trying to make.


    My guess is the new CBA and salary cap had a big impact on the decision making as well as resigning Greenway, Robison and looking at extending Peterson's contract and where they would be when it came time to deal with Harvin's contract and a possible extension to his contract in 2012
    Believe it or not, the CBA absolutely did have a big impact. Despite a certain someone trying to convince everyone the FO didn't have a clue because they weren't actively re-signing guys like Rice, Greenway or AP during the lockout (when they were banned from contacting players btw)

  3. #23
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Yes, Berrian was Rice's replacement for the starting WR role. That's common knowlegde.
    Berrian wasn't brought in to replace Rice. He was brought in to give us a legitimate deep/speed receiver - something Rice ISN'T. Further, Berrian was brought in at the start of Rice's SECOND season...when Berrian was established and Rice wasn't.

    Berrian was a starting receiver already, having only lost the job due to lack of performance.

    Caine

  4. #24
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Berrian wasn't brought in to replace Rice. He was brought in to give us a legitimate deep/speed receiver - something Rice ISN'T. Further, Berrian was brought in at the start of Rice's SECOND season...when Berrian was established and Rice wasn't.

    Berrian was a starting receiver already, having only lost the job due to lack of performance.

    Caine
    Yes ... that is actually "common knowledge."

    If anything ... the replacement for Rice was a mix of more reps for Harvin and Michael Jenkins. Both of whom performed fairly well.

  5. #25
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262
    Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Didn't they try to issue a first round RFA tender on Rice before the new CBA was in place, I know it didn't work but with what was available with their cap space they did try something short of using the franchise tag
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Yes, yes they did. Funny how actual facts get ignored when they contradict the point one is trying to make.
    Really? Who's ignoring facts?

    Sidney Rice, who'll face Minnesota on Saturday night after leaving the team to sign a five-year, $41 million contract with the Seattle Seahawks, said the Vikings never even tried to negotiate a new deal with him.

    In fact, Rice said coach Leslie Frazier was the only member of the organization to call him.
    WR Rice insists Vikings didn't try to re-sign him

    NFL.com news: Seahawks WR Rice insists Vikings didn't try to re-sign him

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #26
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Berrian wasn't brought in to replace Rice. He was brought in to give us a legitimate deep/speed receiver - something Rice ISN'T. Further, Berrian was brought in at the start of Rice's SECOND season...when Berrian was established and Rice wasn't.

    Berrian was a starting receiver already, having only lost the job due to lack of performance.

    Caine

    Yes, that was Berrian's role when he was brought in, but that role was changed when Rice left. He was supposed to play a more significant role & move up from #3 receiver.


    When Berrian didn't pan out, which we knew was going to happen, they had to rely on Jenkins & Aromashodu.

    Scout.com: Vikings still counting on Berrian

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #27
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Yes, that was Berrian's role when he was brought in, but that role was changed when Rice left. He was supposed to play a more significant role & move up from #3 receiver.


    When Berrian didn't pan out, which we knew was going to happen, they had to rely on Jenkins & Aromashodu.

    Scout.com: Vikings still counting on Berrian
    In the end, in retrospect, some marginal, at best, decisions by the Team. Bringing in Berrian to be "the guy?" BAD. Relying on him again to be "the Guy?" WORSE. Releasing Berrian...GOOD. Not signing Rice, the 6'4" man of great hands and porcelain body? GOOD

    Not sure who made what decision...

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  8. #28
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,304
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Thing is though, even though he only played in 9 games & was thrown to by Jackson, who most here would call the worst QB in the league, he still had more receiving yards than either Aromashodu or Jenkins had all year, scored more TD's than those two WR combined & had more yards per catch than them or Harvin.

    We certainly didn't replace him with an upgrade at WR.
    By the way ... I have seen in many years on this site that you often have trouble reading a stat line.

    He most certainly DID NOT have more touchdowns than Aromashodu and Jenkins combined (he did not even have more than Jenkins uncombined), he did have more yards than both of them (by a whole 18 and a whole 16, hardly worth $41 million). He also did not average more yards per catch than Aromashodu. He was not even close really.

    So, sure ... we did not replace him with an upgrade. And if you can't read, I guess he clearly outproduced our whole corps. Rice got $13 million last year counting his bonus. Jenkins and Aromashodu combined to earn $2.3 million.

    Just Google all three players if you like. Or you can just keep making shit up.

  9. #29
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,763
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    In the end, in retrospect, some marginal, at best, decisions by the Team. Bringing in Berrian to be "the guy?" BAD. Relying on him again to be "the Guy?" WORSE. Releasing Berrian...GOOD. Not signing Rice, the 6'4" man of great hands and porcelain body? GOOD

    Not sure who made what decision...
    One thing that was missed regarding Berrian, his contract was restructured to save that Vikes cap room and it was reduced to a one year deal....which was, well OK.....then when he still couldn't provide a value to the team he was release

  10. #30
    Johnson14's Avatar
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by midgensa View Post
    Just Google all three players if you like. Or you can just keep making shit up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •