Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Thing is though, even though he only played in 9 games & was thrown to by Jackson, who most here would call the worst QB in the league, he still had more receiving yards than either Aromashodu or Jenkins had all year, scored more TD's than those two WR combined & had more yards per catch than them or Harvin.

We certainly didn't replace him with an upgrade at WR.

uhm isn't Rices 2 TD's less than Jenkins 3, Vikings had 5 guys best that production with a rookie qb and a vet that liked killing worms with his passes.....hawks I think manage to mustered up 2

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    we did up grade the 2010 Rice production with both....if you're looking to replace the 2009 version of Rice he hasn't been able to do that production either

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    True, but we also didn't spend 40 million or whatever on those players. You would expect a tandem that has been together since 2007 with the same OC and who just signed big FA contracts to be more productive than rookie QB's and low budget WR's who are together for the first season.
    Game... Set.. and MATCH!

True, but we also didn't spend 40 million or whatever on those players. You would expect a tandem that has been together since 2007 with the same OC and who just signed big FA contracts to be more productive than rookie QB's and low budget WR's who are together for the first season.
    AMAZING point! Ever since Rice left, I only hoped that he would go on to have a terribly short and injury filled career. He is incredibly talented, making catches that just don't seem possible (just look at the cowboys playoff game in the '09 season), but he left for a fat paycheck and that pissed me off.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    The Seahawks definitely overpaid & the Viking never would have paid or probably not had to pay that much to resign him. BTW, Aromashodu & Jenkins weren't the original replacement for Rice. Berrian was & we all know how that panned out.

As far as the QB's are concerned, most here claimed Ponder was better than Jackson & a huge improvement the day we drafted him, thus rookie or not should have performed better than Jackson did.

At the end of the day, my point is still valid. We did virtually nothing in FA to improve the WR corp when he left or improve other player positions that had voids. We only continued to plug holes with castaways & practice squad players.

The coaches/owners felt we could win a lot of our games by relying on AD & pounding the ball & getting away with mediocre WR's.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Thing is though, even though he only played in 9 games & was thrown to by Jackson, who most here would call the worst QB in the league, he still had more receiving yards than either Aromashodu or Jenkins had all year, scored more TD's than those two WR combined & had more yards per catch than them or Harvin.

Leave it to you Singer to find the positive in the situation...
    Last edited by shockzilla; 01-30-2012 at 07:46 AM.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Personally I thought the FO made the right decision in not offering Rice that kind of money. I would like to know how hard they tried to keep him though.

As far as his replacements, I don't beleive we really "upgraded", but rather we replaced with some players we were maybe hoping would pan out. Rice had his great year with Favre, but so did all of Favre's receivers.

I really expect our receiving corps to look different this year. We may still not have a true number one, but I think we will be better in that area.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    The Seahawks definitely overpaid & the Viking never would have paid or probably not had to pay that much to resign him. BTW, Aromashodu & Jenkins weren't the original replacement for Rice. Berrian was & we all know how that panned out.
    Berrian was Rice's replacement? Did they not both play for the Vikings for the last few years? I thought berrian was brought in to replace Troy Williamson and the immortal Bobby Wade lol/

As far as the QB's are concerned, most here claimed Ponder was better than Jackson & a huge improvement the day we drafted him, thus rookie or not should have performed better than Jackson did.
    That is bullshit but nice try. The consensus was mixed at best and in no way was he given any more slack than jackson was in his rookie year. And into next year he will be held to the same standard that jackson was- Either improve and get better in what he does or get someone else who will.

At the end of the day, my point is still valid. We did virtually nothing in FA to improve the WR corp when he left or improve other player positions that had voids. We only continued to plug holes with castaways & practice squad players.
    Nobody argued that. You just got called out for your continued man love for jackson. Don't worry- the pain will ease with time.

The coaches/owners felt we could win a lot of our games by relying on AD & pounding the ball & getting away with mediocre WR's.
    They also thought they could rely on Johnson instead of McKinney and apparently thought they could replace Madieu with something off the shelf too. The screwed the pooch in pretty much every phase of the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    Personally I thought the FO made the right decision in not offering Rice that kind of money. I would like to know how hard they tried to keep him though.

As far as his replacements, I don't beleive we really "upgraded", but rather we replaced with some players we were maybe hoping would pan out. Rice had his great year with Favre, but so did all of Favre's receivers.

I really expect our receiving corps to look different this year. We may still not have a true number one, but I think we will be better in that area.
    They didn't try hard. In fact they didn't try at all.

Berrian was Rice's replacement? Did they not both play for the Vikings for the last few years? I thought berrian was brought in to replace Troy Williamson and the immortal Bobby Wade lol/
    Yes, Berrian was Rice's replacement for the starting WR role. That's common knowlegde.

Do you want us to believe that Robison wasn't Edwards' replacement too since they were both on the team in 2010?

That is bullshit but nice try. The consensus was mixed at best and in no way was he given any more slack than jackson was in his rookie year. And into next year he will be held to the same standard that jackson was- Either improve and get better in what he does or get someone else who will.
    Sure it was mixed a little, but the majority of the people here believed he was an upgrade over Jackson before he even started. If you got proof stating the majority felt Jackson was better or stated it yourself , I'd like to see it.

Nobody argued that. You just got called out for your continued man love for jackson. Don't worry- the pain will ease with time.
    Nice try, but 1. I don't have a man love for Jackson. 2. My comment was about Rice, not Jackson. I brought up Jackson because he was the one throwing to Rice & you made it sound as if our WR's were being thrown to by a POS rookie, while Rice was being thrown to by a star veteran.

They also thought they could rely on Johnson instead of McKinney and apparently thought they could replace Madieu with something off the shelf too. The screwed the pooch in pretty much every phase of the organization.
    Yes they did & I was totally behind the McKinney shit-canning because of his attitude & the terrible physical shape he was in.

I would have been OK with them not resigning Rice if they had brought in a legitimate replacement during FA, but instead they once again stood by & let them all sign elsewhere, believing all the while that Berrian could be our guy. Your spot on on Madieu as well. Yes he wasn't the best, but they failed to upgrade the position.

Unless I'm missing someone, every new FA they brought in here was a castaway from another team that nobody wanted & was a downgrade over what we had with maybe Sapp as the exception.

Was Spielman making the bulk of these decisions? If so, with him now our GM, we are screwed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast