Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Old habits continue to plague T.O.

Posted on Sat, Oct. 14, 2006

[size=13pt]Old habits continue to plague T.O.[/size]

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
    STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

IRVING -- Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens has said numerous times that he has learned from his past problems and wants to be a better player and better teammate in Dallas.

In that regard, Owens is having a slow start, on and off the field.

Owens was late to practice Wednesday and got into a shouting match with passing game coordinator/receivers coach Todd Haley.

Owens now says he is no longer dealing with Haley on a personal level because he violated his trust.

"Anything is fixable," Owens said on his weekly radio show that aired Friday on ESPN/103.3 FM. "But at this point I feel like I have gone out on a limb. People that know me know I don't trust too many people.

"When I felt like I have gone out on a limb and talked to Todd in a setting where we are man to man and up front with each other, and then I feel like that trust is being violated, then right now I will have a hard time here on out."

Owens said he is going to talk to Haley when it's something dealing with football.

"Other than him being my coach and me being respectful and him being respectful to me as a player, outside of that, there will be nothing else," Owens said. "No other dialogue. There will be no more friendly nothing because I don't trust anybody like that."

The confrontation with Haley began when Owens was late to practice Wednesday. Owens said he felt ill and was in the bathroom when practice started.

He tried to explain his tardiness to Haley, but to no avail.

"He said 'I don't give a ...what you were doing, everybody else is out here,'" Owens said. "Dude, I'm trying to make a change and do things right, and I didn't even blow up on him. I didn't confront him. I grabbed my helmet and started doing the plays and I left it at that."

Owens, who said a frustrated Haley also got into an argument with a defensive coach [Mike McIntyre] on Wednesday, felt he was disrespected. Yet Owens said he went to coach Bill Parcells and apologized.

"I told him I went to use the restroom and told him what was going on with my system and he was like, 'All right, just try to get out here a little earlier and that was it,'" Owens said.

Owens said the confrontation with Haley continued in a position meeting after practice.

According to a source, Owens had sent Haley a text message about not getting the ball enough, which was a continuation of his sideline rant Sunday when he caught three passes for 45 yards in a 38-24 loss at Philadelphia.

On Sunday, Owens repeatedly asked Haley: "Why did y'all bring me here?"

Owens didn't back down while talking to the media Wednesday when he questioned why the Cowboys weren't doing enough to get him involved.

When the two got into the meeting room, Haley, known for his temper and who has tried to be patient, didn't back down.

Haley pointed out Owens' poor route running in the game and the number of passes the Cowboys threw his way.

Both men asked the other not to disrespect them.

"That was a time he was frustrated, we were all frustrated because we've lost and everybody has a bad taste," Owens said. "At that time I was venting, he was venting, and I felt it stayed behind closed doors.

The Cowboys don't allow assistant coaches to talk to the media.

Curiously, a day after the Haley-Owens confrontation, Parcells declined to discuss Owens to the media. He continued the moratorium on Owens talk Friday.

In an interview with the Star-Telegram on Thursday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones didn't appear bothered by Owens' complaints about being more involved.

"I think Terrell is looking for ways to help us win and to get better," Jones said. "Most competitors want the ball. That's not a negative. I think that's what the situation is going to be."

Jones was most responsible for recruiting and signing Owens to a three-year, $25 million contract in March, despite his troubles with players and management in previous stops with the Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers.

He said he had no problems with Owens' questioning, "Why did y'all bring me here?"

"I just look at that as a heat of the battle after you had a disappointment type of situation," Jones said.

Owens' recent action won't affect his status for Sunday's game against the Houston Texans. He practiced with the first team on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

This is not the first time Owens has had an incident with an assistant coach. In San Francisco, he directed a sideline tirade at offensive coordinator Greg Knapp.

Last season in Philadelphia, he was suspended for one week in training camp after a heated dispute with coach Andy Reid that followed a shouting match with offensive coordinator Brad Childress, now the Minnesota Vikings head coach.

Owens reportedly told Childress not to speak to him unless he was spoken to.

Aware of his past history, Owens said he has tried to be better in Dallas. He knows people are skeptical because of his previous incidents. But he maintains that he has changed and is doing better. What's frustrating to him is he can't seem to shake the image or a pattern of finding trouble.

"I am just really frustrated," Owens said. "I am just tired. I have made a conscious effort not to go down those roads again. I feel like it's very unfair, especially in this situation. At this point I am really, really frustrated. I am not trying to be a distraction down here in Dallas by any means."

Owens has made the wrong kind of headlines with the Cowboys since missing 21 practices in the preseason with a strained hamstring. On Aug. 25, he missed a team meeting, a rehab session and was late for an offensive meeting. He was subsequently fined $9,500.

He suffered a fractured hand Sept. 17 in a game against Washington. Nine days later, Owens was hospitalized after suffering an accidental drug overdose.

On the field, Owens has caught 17 passes for 232 yards and one touchdown. It's his slowest start since 1999.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Clarence E. Hill Jr., 817-390-7760 [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Old habits continue to plague T.O.

I love how it is never T-Ho's fault, that he is always being disrespected yet if I remember right he was the one that was yelling at his coaches on the sideline vs Philly and disrespecting them all game and embarrassing them on national TV!

And if you are late you are late deal with it and I hope that Haley keeps on his sh*t and goes and wishes him a good morning every day like Childress did and drives T-Ho nuts!

Jerry Jones you megalomaniac you destroyed your team by bringing that cancer into the locker room, and T-Ho has done way more to disrupt the team than he has to help it!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

I have made a conscious effort not to go down those roads again
    yea.. minus that whole yelling at coaches thing.. you've been trying real hard to fix your problem of yelling at coaches
    i m better than you, so just give up...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

One guy is not going to keep the Cowboys from winning.
    If they are good enough on Sundays, they will win.

TO is a jerk, I will agree on that.

Maybe we should trade for him, he would really help our team. :

If we had him and Twill we would kick ass.

NFL Dropped Passes

1. Troy ......5
    2. TO ........4
    3-100 Who cares!

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Will he finish the season, where will he be next year ;D

I love the cowboys got him, maybe next year TO can play with Favre and then
    head to the raiders before he retires ;D ;D

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

He will never change.

Once a jerk always a jerk.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

To's an idiot, he'll never learn. Can't wait to watch Moss against Champ Bailey tonight. Too bad Moss has no one to throw to him!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

Touchdown, 103rd career TD's for T.O.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

Touchdown, 104th career TD's for T.O.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays