Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Oh, what a difference a month makes on an outlook

[size=18px]Jim Souhan: Oh, what a difference a month makes on outlook[/size]

Minnesota's pro teams have been in the doldrums, but a hot streak for the Twins, a good draft for the Wolves and a key pickup for the Wild might change that.

Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
    Last update: July 01, 2006 – 8:02 PM

Because athletes are hope incarnate and sports are vehicles of faith, fans are capable of inventing reasons to believe in the teams we follow.
    Now, the reasons for hope in the Twin Cities might be legitimate.

A month ago, the Twins were hapless, the Timberwolves were incompetent, the Wild was cheap, and the Vikings were headed toward a rebuilding season.

Today, the Twins are playing like one of the three best teams in baseball, the Wolves are one player closer to competence, the Wild has moved into the middle class and the Vikings are headed toward a rebuilding season.

The Twins and Gophers football have new stadia on the horizon, while the sun is rising on what could become an era of health and prosperity for our teams.

We were in danger of becoming Loserville, U.S.A., a title Green Bay won't give up without a fight.

We're not exactly Winneapolis yet, but we've got a shot at distancing ourselves from Milwaukee -- always a good thing.

In the last month, our teams have received more shots in the arm than Mark McGwire in his prime.

Look at the Twins.

Johan Santana, Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Joe Nathan and Francisco Liriano have All-Star credentials. Mauer could win the batting title, Morneau could challenge for the RBI title, Santana or Liriano could win the Cy Young, Liriano could win the Rookie of the Year award, and the Twins could become the most decorated third-place team in history.

Look at the Wolves.

Going into the draft, I figured they would take another problematic talent like Rudy Gay. I wanted them to take the dynamic and tenacious Randy Foye.

Considering the level of competition he faced in the Big East and the way he played in big games, Foye might have been the best player in college basketball last year.

So now I'm in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with Wolves VP Kevin McHale.

Foye's explosiveness and toughness will be perfect for the Wolves' backcourt. He won't transform this team into a winner, but he's a step in the right direction.

Best of all, he's a good story -- a kid abandoned by his parents in a tough neighborhood who found a way to become a star athlete known for his character. He didn't just impress with his play during the regional at the Metrodome -- he charmed.

The Wolves remain woefully overmatched in the West, but Foye gives us reason to watch.

Look at the Wild.

Their trade for Pavol Demitra pairs Demitra with countryman Marian Gaborik.

Brian Rolston might have been their best all-around player last year. Manny Fernandez is capable of dominating in the net. If the Wild can sign a top defenseman and another goal scorer, it could make this an interesting winter at the X.

[size=18px]Look at the Vikings.[/size]

There has been too much purple Kool-Aid drinking among the Viking faithful, too many people who have decided that Brad Childress is the next Lombardi, that owner Zygi Wilf's willingness to spend money ensures it will be spent wisely.

This offseason has already been marred by the Daunte Culpepper trade, the Fran Foley hiring and Childress praising the way his quarterbacks breathe in the huddle.

We haven't heard that much sporting hogwash since Annie Savoy made Nuke LaLoosh wear women's underwear and try to breathe through his eyelids.

What I have heard from two people at Winter Park is that first-year defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin could become the Next Big Thing in the NFL. And while I disapproved of the Culpepper trade, I'll take a season of watching Brad Johnson play quarterback behind a rebuilt offensive line.

So even though we haven't seen a significant home playoff game in the Twin Cities since Ruben Sierra gave Juan Rincon reason to say, "No one wants to be in my pants right now," there is hope in the offing.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Oh, what a difference a month makes on an outlook

Good article...but the Daunte trade had to happen...he WANTED out

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

not sure..

there's so much negative in there..

almost makes the positive look like an afterthought
    i m better than you, so just give up...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Potus2028" wrote:
    not sure..

there's so much negative in there..

almost makes the positive look like an afterthought
    That's my thougts as well regarding his take on the Vikings. A whole lot of negativity with just a dash of positive sprinkled on top to sugar coat his opinion.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Just another bitter media type who doesn't like being out of the loop. He probably misses Tice and his big mouth regarding strategies.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

eh, ok article, same old thing though

(think he's a twin's fan as opposed to vikes?)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I don't think that anyone wants to be in Jim Souhan's pants EITHER!!! That no-deck bass turd!!! :evil4:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"nephilimstorm" wrote:
    Exactly. I get so tired of these fool sports writers talking about Dante leaving as if it were a trade deal we cut. CPep just pulled the plug is all. We got what we could before having to release him. Also I am not sure as a fan that I like being referred to as a kool aid drinker. :evil:

WWBGD

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Look at the Wild.

Their trade for Pavol Demitra pairs Demitra with countryman Marian Gaborik.

Brian Rolston might have been their best all-around player last year. Manny Fernandez is capable of dominating in the net.If the Wild can sign a top defenseman and another goal scorer, it could make this an interesting winter at the X.
    The Wild made some more moves today! We added D Kim Johnsson, D Keith Carney, and RW Mark Parrish. Things are looking good for Minnesota's Hockey team. I am really excited to see them compete in a tough division. Go Wild!
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"RK." wrote:
    "nephilimstorm" wrote:
    Exactly. I get so tired of these fool sports writers talking about Dante leaving as if it were a trade deal we cut. CPep just pulled the plug is all. We got what we could before having to release him. Also I am not sure as a fan that I like being referred to as a kool aid drinker. :evil:
    oh he personally told you he wanted out? Know one knows the truth besides the people directly involved. It was a dumb move by the vikings, everyone except for a section of vikings fans know so.
    You republican whore!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast