Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    poisoning16 is offline Rookie

Re: The Official Super Bowl XLV Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1089246

Eight posts in and you want to start commenting on people's intelligence? That's a good way to find yourself a very unpopular person in a hurry.

But, since you're new, I'll pretend you were cranial-rectally challenged when you wrote that, and direct the rest of my reply to your disbelief.

You're right about them being 10-6. My bad. That extra win sure does
    turn them into a dominant force....

oh, wait...no it really doesn't.

10-6 wasn't good enough to even make the Play offs for 2 other teams, so in this years NFL, it isn't exactly a distinguished mark. It also represents a 62.5% winning percentage. That means they LOST 37.5% of the time....or almost 4 of every 10 games.

Again, that's not dominating. That's not even really impressive.

And since they did indeed slide into the play offs (They were the 6th seed...nevermind how pathetic Seattle truly was), it sort of goes without saying that they didn't exactly burn the NFL down on the way.

Getting there, they faced Chicago twice - I'm sorry, did you honestly think Chicago was a force? I thought they were pretty shallow. They had the 30th ranked Offense in the NFL (total yards), 21st in scoring.

And their inability to even remotely put up a fight offensively in week 17, when they had a GOLDEN opportunity to end Green bay's season and remove them as a potential threat sort of underscores Chicago's season...they folded when it mattered.

And it's also worth pointing out that the Giants team they beat in week 16 was in the middle of a collapse. She-li Manning showed, once again, why he's in his brother's shadow, and will likely stay there for all time.

But, on to the Play-offs. First, Philadelphia. Where Micheal Vicks blueprint to defeat was established by US. Once Vick was hurt, that game was over. An aging Philadelphia Defense forgot how to play, and we saw what the Eagles look like with a hurt Micheal Vick (Pretty piss poor). So, Philly falls.

On to Atlanta...a young team that rode a light schedule to the best record in the NFC...13-3. Of course, as Pittsburgh would learn, it's really hard to win when your QB throws INT's, and Ryan put his team out of the game in the 2nd quarter.

Back to Chicago. Did anyone REALLY think this team was a true contender? I certainly didn't. And when Cutler got hurt, it was all but over...almost....until a 3rd string QB started putting points on the board. Cutler had been doing nothing all day, and as frightening as it sounds, Caleb Hanie ALMOST salvaged the Bears day. Of course, that rule about not throwing pick-6's bit HIM in the ass to, and Green Bay was now on to the Superbowl.

Apparently Rapelesberger hadn't been watching the NFC play Offs, because he missed that rule about Pick-6's, and it wound up costing him ring #3.

So, yeah, I think Green Bay was a 10-6 team that capitalized on a weak NFC field and GOT LUCKY...much like the Giants did in '07, and much like the Cardinals ALMOST did in '08. Neither one was a GREAT team, but they got a few good breaks and got hot at the right time.

Just like Green Bay.

Oh, and FYI, Green Bay's last two regular season games were at HOME. And, last I looked, Dallas isn't exactly Pittsburgh's back yard, so that's a neutral site. Finally, Chicago IS in Green Bay's back yard, and the Packtards were out in force. End result, Green Bay played 2 road games with a fan disadvantage, Atlanta and Philly. It wasn't "six games in a row all on the road", it was three...and one of them was Chicago.

Caine

Really, if you want to nitpick, you could pull stuff like this out for virtually any team who has won the SB lately. There aren't really any dominating teams like in the past. FA has helped stop things like that. You and I must have different meanings to the phrase "sliding into the playoffs" because I don't consider a team having to win their last 2 games(and doing so) sliding in. They controlled their own destiny and won. They earned it, they didn't back in/slide into anything.

Going 10-6 is impressive IMO when you factor in the amount of injuries they had to overcome. Not to mention they were the first team in the Super Bowl era to not trail by more than 7 points in a game ALL SEASON(including postseason). All o their losses were by 4 or less, as well. Calling this years Packers team lucky is pretty hilarious considering all the starters they lost via injury + losign their QB for a game. Of course, in the playoffs they got some luck, nobody gets that far without a bit of good fortune. Hell, the Bears got all the way to the title game with nothign but luck and good fortune(virtually zero key injuries, facing 4 backup QB's and that Lions week 1 game for instance)

This team wasn't great, but they were still very, very good and played their best ball when it mattered most. Good coaching + good leadership from guys like Woodson, Driver, Rodgers goes a long way. Their secondary was elite, and they were 2nd in the NFL in INT, so it's no surprise that their strength showed up in the postseason with all the INT and pick 6's they were able to get. They were #2 in sacks and #2 in INT on the season. Great combination for any defense

jrjohn is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: The Official Super Bowl XLV Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "poisoning16" #1089402
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1089246

Eight posts in and you want to start commenting on people's intelligence? That's a good way to find yourself a very unpopular person in a hurry.

But, since you're new, I'll pretend you were cranial-rectally challenged when you wrote that, and direct the rest of my reply to your disbelief.

You're right about them being 10-6. My bad. That extra win sure does
    turn them into a dominant force....

oh, wait...no it really doesn't.

10-6 wasn't good enough to even make the Play offs for 2 other teams, so in this years NFL, it isn't exactly a distinguished mark. It also represents a 62.5% winning percentage. That means they LOST 37.5% of the time....or almost 4 of every 10 games.

Again, that's not dominating. That's not even really impressive.

And since they did indeed slide into the play offs (They were the 6th seed...nevermind how pathetic Seattle truly was), it sort of goes without saying that they didn't exactly burn the NFL down on the way.

Getting there, they faced Chicago twice - I'm sorry, did you honestly think Chicago was a force? I thought they were pretty shallow. They had the 30th ranked Offense in the NFL (total yards), 21st in scoring.

And their inability to even remotely put up a fight offensively in week 17, when they had a GOLDEN opportunity to end Green bay's season and remove them as a potential threat sort of underscores Chicago's season...they folded when it mattered.

And it's also worth pointing out that the Giants team they beat in week 16 was in the middle of a collapse. She-li Manning showed, once again, why he's in his brother's shadow, and will likely stay there for all time.

But, on to the Play-offs. First, Philadelphia. Where Micheal Vicks blueprint to defeat was established by US. Once Vick was hurt, that game was over. An aging Philadelphia Defense forgot how to play, and we saw what the Eagles look like with a hurt Micheal Vick (Pretty piss poor). So, Philly falls.

On to Atlanta...a young team that rode a light schedule to the best record in the NFC...13-3. Of course, as Pittsburgh would learn, it's really hard to win when your QB throws INT's, and Ryan put his team out of the game in the 2nd quarter.

Back to Chicago. Did anyone REALLY think this team was a true contender? I certainly didn't. And when Cutler got hurt, it was all but over...almost....until a 3rd string QB started putting points on the board. Cutler had been doing nothing all day, and as frightening as it sounds, Caleb Hanie ALMOST salvaged the Bears day. Of course, that rule about not throwing pick-6's bit HIM in the ass to, and Green Bay was now on to the Superbowl.

Apparently Rapelesberger hadn't been watching the NFC play Offs, because he missed that rule about Pick-6's, and it wound up costing him ring #3.

So, yeah, I think Green Bay was a 10-6 team that capitalized on a weak NFC field and GOT LUCKY...much like the Giants did in '07, and much like the Cardinals ALMOST did in '08. Neither one was a GREAT team, but they got a few good breaks and got hot at the right time.

Just like Green Bay.

Oh, and FYI, Green Bay's last two regular season games were at HOME. And, last I looked, Dallas isn't exactly Pittsburgh's back yard, so that's a neutral site. Finally, Chicago IS in Green Bay's back yard, and the Packtards were out in force. End result, Green Bay played 2 road games with a fan disadvantage, Atlanta and Philly. It wasn't "six games in a row all on the road", it was three...and one of them was Chicago.

Caine

Really, if you want to nitpick, you could pull stuff like this out for virtually any team who has won the SB lately. There aren't really any dominating teams like in the past. FA has helped stop things like that. You and I must have different meanings to the phrase "sliding into the playoffs" because I don't consider a team having to win their last 2 games(and doing so) sliding in. They controlled their own destiny and won. They earned it, they didn't back in/slide into anything.

Going 10-6 is impressive IMO when you factor in the amount of injuries they had to overcome. Not to mention they were the first team in the Super Bowl era to not trail by more than 7 points in a game ALL SEASON(including postseason). All o their losses were by 4 or less, as well. Calling this years Packers team lucky is pretty hilarious considering all the starters they lost via injury + losign their QB for a game. Of course, in the playoffs they got some luck, nobody gets that far without a bit of good fortune. Hell, the Bears got all the way to the title game with nothign but luck and good fortune(virtually zero key injuries, facing 4 backup QB's and that Lions week 1 game for instance)

This team wasn't great, but they were still very, very good and played their best ball when it mattered most. Good coaching + good leadership from guys like Woodson, Driver, Rodgers goes a long way. Their secondary was elite, and they were 2nd in the NFL in INT, so it's no surprise that their strength showed up in the postseason with all the INT and pick 6's they were able to get. They were #2 in sacks and #2 in INT on the season. Great combination for any defense
    I respectfully disagree, I think any team that can keep things together and get into the playoffs with so many starters out, never lose a game by more than 4 points, nearly beat the Patriots with a back up quarterback, play every playoff game away, get into the super bowl, lose more key players, never trail and win is a great "team"

They don't have any individuals, (yet) nobody playing poorly while hurt so he can set a record. Nobody thought they were too good for training camp. Nobody holding back on getting surgery until practically the start of the season so they are out for the first half of the season, No hotshot useless crybaby receivers complaining about the meat on a buffet, or that he's not getting enough passes thrown his direction, no sexting, texting or pecker shots. Just a great bunch of guys playing with one common goal, to win as a TEAM.

I'd like to see the Vikings develop a quarterback instead of going out and signing another has been that another team doesn't want. In my opinion, great players are developed, not signed.
    None

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011