Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Off-duty police officer shoots Chargers LB Foley

The conspiracy theory is unlikely though still plausable, the problem I see is that the defendant could have deescalated the incident.
    A cop can follow me all day long and not pull me over, if you are doing nothing wrong then there is little they can do.
    Now if you are swerving all over the road you are callling attention to yourself.
    He brought this on himself, and I am sure he was afraid it was a thief posing as a cop, no way.
    Not after his history, he didn't want to stop because he knew he was bombed and tried to get home.

The one thing I agree on is the cop should have called for backup!!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    The conspiracy theory is unlikely though still plausable, the problem I see is that the defendant could have deescalated the incident.
    A cop can follow me all day long and not pull me over, if you are doing nothing wrong then there is little they can do.
    Now if you are swerving all over the road you are callling attention to yourself.
    He brought this on himself, and I am sure he was afraid it was a thief posing as a cop, no way.
    Not after his history, he didn't want to stop because he knew he was bombed and tried to get home.

The one thing I agree on is the cop should have called for backup!!!
    He did:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060907-9999-7m7foley.html

Still hospitalized with three gunshot wounds, Chargers linebacker Steve Foley has refused to speak with detectives who are investigating his shooting on Sunday by an off-duty police officer, authorities said yesterday.

“An attempt has been made, but we have not been able to get a statement from him,” said Sheriff's homicide Lt. Dennis Brugos. “He chose not to speak to us.”

Authorities continued trying to piece together events leading up to the confrontation between Aaron Mansker, a Coronado police officer, and the 30-year-old NFL player.

The shooting occurred at 3:41 a.m., near Foley's home in Poway.

Investigators have interviewed Mansker, 23, who started his law enforcement career as a Palomar College campus police officer.

Mansker said he began following Foley early Sunday morning because he believed Foley was driving under the influence.

Authorities have denied requests to provide a preliminary report regarding the incident as well as disclose results of Foley's blood-alcohol test.
    Foley has not been charged. His agent, David Levine, did not return phone calls seeking comment yesterday. Phone calls to Foley's cell phone also went unanswered.

One question that remains unanswered is whether Foley, who was driving an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, believed that Mansker was a police officer.

Mansker was not in uniform and was driving his own car, a black Mazda, home from work at 3 a.m. when he spotted the Oldsmobile weaving on state Route 163, Brugos said.

Mansker identified himself as an off-duty officer when he pulled up next to Foley at a stoplight, but he never unclipped his badge and held it up at any point, Brugos said.

After the officer asked Foley to pull over, Foley acknowledged him, then drove off.

Brugos clarified yesterday that the officer made only that one attempt at the stoplight to pull Foley over.

After that, Brugos said, Foley was the one who stopped on his own two more times and approached the officer, the last stop on a cul-de-sac near Foley's home on Travertine Court.

A woman with Foley, Lisa Maree Gaut, reportedly got behind of the wheel of Foley's car and drove toward the officer after he fired a warning shot into the bushes.

Seconds later, after shooting at the oncoming car, Mansker turned his weapon toward Foley, who was walking toward him, Brugos said.

Mansker said Foley lifted his shirt and reached into his waistband before the officer fired, Brugos said. Foley was later found to be unarmed.

He was shot three times – in his hand, upper thigh and lower inner thigh.

Gaut, 25, who was not injured, faces several charges and is scheduled to be in court today.

Brugos said the off-duty officer had made two radio calls to Coronado police dispatchers asking for backup during the 20 minutes he was following Foley.

It was unclear how long it took Coronado dispatchers to ask other agencies for assistance, or why other agencies took so long to respond.

Sheriff's deputies who were on their way to help arrived within a minute or so after the shooting, Brugos said.

The incident has captured the attention of sports fans and police critics around the nation.

Brugos said some news reports are getting “sillier and sillier.”

“Someone gave me a story today that claimed I shot Foley three times,” he said yesterday.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I just read he had a BAC of .233 when he was shot.
    That's pretty drunk.

Prophet Guest

POSTED 10:41 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 1:30 p.m. EDT, September 16, 2006

FOLEY TO COP:
    "YOU'RE TRYING TO END MY CAREER"

pft.com

Chargers linebacker Steve Foley reportedly told the off-duty officer who shot him at least three times in the lower body, "You're trying to end my career, man," according to a police report obtained by the Associated Press.

After the first round entered his leg, Foley said to the cop, "You shot me in the knee."
    According to the report, Foley then continued to approach the officer, who shot several more times.

Foley is still hospitalized in fair condition, nearly two weeks after the shooting.
    He has declined to speak to authorities, so it's possible that his version of the events will conflict with the officer's.

Then again, the fact that Foley's blood alcohol concentration was 0.233 might have impaired his ability to process the events and recall them accurately.

We continue to believe that this entire episode was and is a mess.
    The cop, who was not in uniform and in an unmarked car,
    had no business engaging Foley so far out of his jurisdiction and without backup.
    The fact that Foley was legally drunk (at 0.233, we think the technical term is "blotto") doesn't help his cause.
    And the fugitive status of the woman who was with Foley makes us wonder whether she drove Foley's car at the cop knowing full well that, if he really was a cop, she'd be going away for a long time.

Though we believe that the cop was clearly in the wrong (even if he didn't have evil motives), Foley set the entire process in motion by climbing behind the wheel of a car after he'd clearly had too much to drink.

Based on standard blood alcohol charts, for a 265-pound guy to have a BAC of 0.233, he had to have consumed more than 20 drinks.
    Anyone who would drive a car after drinking so much deserves little or no sympathy.
    Really, the only difference between Foley and Rams defensive lineman Leonard Little is that Foley's escapade landed him in a hospital; Little's put an innocent woman in a casket.

================================================== =================
    KFFL
    Chargers | Foley claims officer was trying to end his career
    Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:59:26 -0700

The Associated Press reports San Diego Chargers LB Steve Foley (leg, hand) told the off-duty police officer who shot him multiple times, "You're trying to end my career, man," according to a sheriff's department record. Foley will miss the entire 2006 season after he was shot Sept. 3, following a traffic stop.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Chargers | Gag order issued in Foley case
    Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:14:10 -0700

The Associated Press reports San Diego Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Fraser issued a gag order Friday, Sept. 22 to prevent any public discussions on the aspects of the case involving the woman who was with San Diego Chargers LB Steve Foley (gunshot) when he was shot. The gag ruling followed leaks of investigators' tapes, photographs and documents. It will prohibit attorneys, investigators and parties in the case from speaking to media representatives.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

This whole thing sounds fishy. Foley was probaly dating some cops wife.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Not to be outdone

Koren Robinson Promises His Next Drunk-Driving Incident Will Outdo Steve Foley's

September 21, 2006

GREEN BAY, WI—Troubled Packers wide receiver/kick returner Koren Robinson reacted to news of San Diego Chargers' linebacker Steve Foley's shooting during a recent DUI arrest by promising fans that his own upcoming alcohol-fueled rampage would eclipse Foley's. "Mark my words, man, Foley's .233 blood-alcohol level don't mean nothin' to a veteran like me," said Robinson, who was recently acquired by the Packers after a drunk-driving arrest prompted his release from the Minnesota Vikings. "Now, getting shot three times is pretty good, but believe me, the way they're gonna have to bring me down? National news a week straight, believe it." Despite his guarantee, Robinson would not comment on whether he had set his sights on surpassing Lawrence Taylor's all-time carousing legacy.
    I.B.O.T. #213

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234