By Jerry Magee
    UNION-TRIBUNE
    STAFF WRITER
    December 18, 2006

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Re: Obscure blocked-punt rule bedevils Chiefs

What is obscure about this?

The ball crossed the line of scrimmage, it was then touched by a chiefs player while it was past the line of scrimmage he did not maintain posession and a Charger player grabbed the ball.

It' a rule thats been in most levels off the sport.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

thats what I was thinking when I read the article... so are the Chiefs trying to use that as an excuse for screwing up on that play - by calling it obscure ?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think the rule is relatively obscure, but it doesn't change the fact that the refs made the correct call.

I can see this as something that could get a little more attention by the competition committee in the off season.
    Otherwise it introduces the possibility of "onside" punts.
    If a punter can kick the ball into a receiving player on the line, the ball at that point becomes anyone's ball...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I think the rule is relatively obscure, but it doesn't change the fact that the refs made the correct call.

I can see this as something that could get a little more attention by the competition committee in the off season.
    If a punter can kick the ball into a receiving player on the line, the ball at that point becomes anyone's ball...
    Of course they can.....and of course then it is anyone's ball. But, punting to the line is pretty high risk. This ruling is no different than when a punted ball hits a blocker and posession is up for grabs. Furthermore, the ruling makes sense. Otherwise, the kicking team is penalized just because the receiving team's intended receiver does not touch the ball. That would be silly.

There is nothing obscure about this, as others have said.

As I understand the rule, if the blocked punted ball ends up a yard behind the line of scrimage, the team that was punting can pick the ball up and run for a first down (or more)....and the linemen looks like a goat for not making a play on the ball....
    if the ball lands a yard past the line of scrimage and the linemen makes a play on it (but bobbles it) he looks like a goat.....
    maybe some sort of tweak is needed to require the ball to travel at least 20 yards before it becomes a "live" ball....to be recovered by EITHER team....this clearly gives an advantage to the team that blocked the punt.....they are in a no lose situation for those first 20 yards....but hey....they blocked the punt...they should have the advantage!!

Not to highjack the thread.....but this rule is not the most pressing rule change that needs to be made....
    how about getting rid of the tuck rule, getting rid of the FORCE OUT (unless carried out), allow blocked, intercepted, of fumble recovered extra points to be returned for 2 points.... etc.
    Oh....and maybe go back to letting QB's be football players.....its getting a bit stupid watching the personal fouls racked up against defenses that touch a QB....
    geeeeeeeeesssssss
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Del Rio Guest

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Of course they can.....and of course then it is anyone's ball. But, punting to the line is pretty high risk. This ruling is no different than when a punted ball hits a blocker and posession is up for grabs. Furthermore, the ruling makes sense. Otherwise, the kicking team is penalized just because the receiving team's intended receiver does not touch the ball. That would be silly.

There is nothing obscure about this, as others have said.
    Exactly!

And yes you can do an onsides punt if you want lol, of course it has to hit a player of the opposing team first.

This is no different then if the person receiving the punt dropped it and it was picked up by somone else.