Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

No QBs to be taken in top 20?

NO QUARTERBACKS TO BE TAKEN IN TOP 20?
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 19, 2008, 6:22 a.m.
    http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/02/19/no-quarterbacks-to-be-taken-in-top-20/
    There’s a belief in some league circles that no quarterbacks will be among the first 20 players selected in the 2008 draft.

The top two quarterbacks on the board are, for now, Brian Brohm of Louisville and Matt Ryan of Boston College.
    But Brohm isn’t regarded as having much arm strength and Ryan is thought to be lacking in athletic ability.

Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

Re: No QBs to be taken in top 20?

This would make the Vikings pick at 17 fairly interesting.
    If Brohm or Ryan are available at 17, I would be upset if we didn't take a QB with our first round pick.
    I am all for having faith that TJ will step up, but we have absolutely no depth at QB, and a talented rookie would either help TJ bring his A game, or be able to step in and take over in the event that TJ does not continue to improve.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

I couldnt imagine the Bears passing on Matt Ryan at #14, unless they trade out a quarterback will be taken right there..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Blog Entries

"skum" wrote:
    I couldnt imagine the Bears passing on Matt Ryan at #14, unless they trade out a quarterback will be taken right there..
    That is what I think too, although there are some FA QBs that might be more attractive to the Bears.

Todd Collins and Daunte Culpepper are both available, and it wouldn't shock me to see either one on the Bears.
    I think , Cleo Lemon is available too, although I don't think he is starter material.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Jim Druckenmiller - Now there is a QB to remember.
    ;D

Anyway, this years QB class is considered pretty damn weak even to the point that obvious teams that need a guy, would wait until the later rounds as not to waste a high (top 15) draft pick on a guy that couldn't/wouldn't provide immediate impact.

I kindof put the Vikes pick at 17 kindof in the lane.

We are still (even though people hate to say it) building through the draft and have needs at atleast 3 positions that we need a starter at (or at least a guy that can give sigificant time).

If the QB's slip out of the top 20 picks that also means the guys slated to go in the 2nd and 3rd would also slip.

I would still draft a guy at 17 and 34 that I expect to give me significant field time/reps (S,DE,WR) instead of a guy that might sit the bench for a couple of years.

Gonna be a very interesting draft my friends.
    Can't wait for the combines to start so I can see some of these guys you all can't live without.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would find it hard to believe if none are taken in the top 20. There are so many teams who are weak at QB that it would be amazing to see that happen.

If it plays out that we we should trade up with our later picks and take 2 in the first round.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I would find it hard to believe if none are taken in the top 20. There are so many teams who are weak at QB that it would be amazing to see that happen.

If it plays out that we we should trade up with our later picks and take 2 in the first round.
    2 QB's?

If we do trade up with our later round picks how do you propose the staff replace the FA's that are gonna walk out the door this year?
    Undrafted FA's?
    ;D

Fact of the matter is we will have at least 7 possibly 8 of our FA's walk this year as we haven't seen the staff give them any sort of contract offer yet.

With limited CAP replacements will have to come through the draft for most, if not all of the if we are to get depth back at DE and a serviceable WR.
    That doesn't even take into account issues at S.

If we do anything, I believe we will trade down for more picks to fill the vacancies that are inevitable.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I agree with the first part. I doubt the first qb taken will fall to 20 or later.

The second part is rediculous.How many later picks would we have to give to get a second first round pick?
    You would essentially give away this years draft for two college quarterbacks?
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

I agree with the first part. I doubt the first qb taken will fall to 20 or later.

The second part is rediculous.How many later picks would we have to give to get a second first round pick?

The second part is just a product of offseason boredom. I figured someone would get bent out of shape over it.

Thank you

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

The second part is just a product of offseason boredom. I figured someone would get bent out of shape over it.

Thank you
    LOL, If you are gonna try to bend us, at least give us a heads up so we can stiffen a bit.
    ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast