DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

No pain, no gain..

Practice brings Wright to tears

By Associated Press

Miami Dolphins rookie Manuel Wright apparently is having a difficult time adjusting to the NFL, and was in tears Tuesday.

The 6-foot-6, 290-pound defensive tackle from USC -- the only pick in this month's supplemental draft -- broke down during an afternoon practice session.

Exactly why Wright lost his composure was unclear. Team policy does not allow reporters access to players following a midday interview period.

"As you well know, young players need to develop the kind of mental toughness and attitude that they need to be professionals," coach Nick Saban said. "So we are trying to help him with that, too, which may be why we need to get on him a little at times."

Wright was eligible for the supplemental draft because he is three years out of high school. As a sophomore at USC last season, he had 23 tackles, including six for losses, and recovered two fumbles.

Saban said the rookie has struggled a bit so far with muscle soreness and other issues, and believes Wright is "probably not in as good of shape as he needs to be in."

Wright was able to finish the workout, Miami's third of this year's training camp

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: No pain, no gain..

I read about that yesterday. I guess he was frustrated with practice or something, I dont know. Maybe the practice was more than he expected.

Some people aren't cut out for the sport I guess, or at least at a higher level.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

This also adds to all the tails that nick Saban is an @sshole. I have heard a lot of ex players saying bad things about him being a jerk lately and this doesn't really help his image out.

I guess wright's father said it was good that Saban got all over his son and made him cry. He said he needs to grow up and become a man. Also some USC coaches thought that wright was more talented then Cody and Patterson, 2 USC DT's that went high in the draft, but was way too immature and that held him back.

I am guessing wright is an immature baby and saban his an @ss.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Saban is a winner....that's all that matters. Wright needs to buck up or go home and get his Pampers changed by his mom!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Saban is a winner....that's all that matters. Wright needs to buck up or go home and get his Pampers changed by his mom!

No, saban WAS a winner in college. But so were a lot of coaches, such as steve spurrier, erickson, pete carroll, who all failed in the NFL.

I like the tough love coaches, like a parcells, however that style of coaching doesn't work IMO, for unproven coaches that have yet to prove they know what is best for their NFL players. He may find it hard for his style to work, on a dolphins team that has a lot of veterans, especially on D.

I think saban is gonna fail in the NFL, like many other successful college coaches do. Just a gut feeling I guess. But college success doesn't always translate well into NFL success.

True, it doesn't automatically mean you'd be as good in the pros, Saban could be included on that list if he bombs in Miami. Only time will tell. It'd be to soon for anyone to dismiss Saban if it isn't smooth sailing early though. When Jimmy Johnson started coaching the Cowboys in '89 it certainly wasn't smooth sailing, but they got better and then won two straight championships under Johnson. I understand about players responding better to proven coaches, but I think regardless who is coaching you should have the endurance and determination as you're striving to be your best in the NFL.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

man he just put USC to shame.

Vrehna is offline Rookie

Hey!

It takes a big man to cry!

(but it takes a bigger man, to laugh at him while he is crying)

:grin:

No seriously, I don't see anything wrong with what happened, by both parties. Sure, Saban was a little rough with the guy, and maybe the rookie took it a bit too hard, and got a little emotional. Big deal. I'm sure that they both will get over it, and move on with their lives. These are profesionals, even if he is a rookie, he wouldn't be in the league if he didn't know what he was doing. Give him a chance to get his head on straight.

Vrehna is offline Rookie

((sorry, double post))