Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    [size=13pt]Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick[/size]


    FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) Nike has no plans to dump Michael Vick from its roster of celebrity athletes, turning aside a request from the national Humane Society to cut ties with the Atlanta Falcons quarterback over alleged ties to dogfighting....


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,572

    Re: Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    I'm not a fan ofthese animal rights people, but I think it would be cool if one these comapanies would make an example of one of the untouchable athletes for the crap they do.

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    I don't care what they are saying now.
    If he was involved (that requires proof) then they will drop him like a hot potatoe.

    On a lighter note, I kindof like what they are doing here.
    Maybe a lawyer can help me out with lawyer speak.

    Innocent until proven guilty or something like that......... :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re: Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I'm not a fan ofthese animal rights people, but I think it would be cool if one these comapanies would make an example of one of the untouchable athletes for the crap they do.
    I don't think it would be good if athletes lose endorsements just for being accused. If that were the case I could say that Daunte raped me and he would be out.......well nothing, but you get the point.

  5. #5
    tb04512's Avatar
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    yeah he shouldnt lose his tie with nike, until they find he was part of it (or if he was)

    Thanks josdin00

  6. #6
    Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,426

    Re: Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    "tb04512" wrote:
    yeah he shouldnt lose his tie with nike, until they find he was part of it (or if he was)
    To me it is obvious he was involved, so I think their decision would have been completely fair either way.
    They just better drop him after (if) he is found guilty.


    All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

  7. #7
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    I'm not a fan ofthese animal rights people, but I think it would be cool if one these comapanies would make an example of one of the untouchable athletes for the crap they do.
    I don't think it would be good if athletes lose endorsements just for being accused. If that were the case I could say that Daunte raped me and he would be out.......well nothing, but you get the point.
    There is a difference between unsupported accusations and what Vick is going though.
    profootballtalk put it pretty well:
    NIKE CALLS HUMANE SOCIETY'S BLUFF

    Athletic shoe giant Nike is standing by its man.

    Specifically, the company has rejected a request from the Humane Society to sever ties with Falcons quarterback Mike Vick, who has been since late April embroiled in an investigation regarding dog fighting at his Surry County, Virginia property.

    "There is no change in the status of the agreement between Nike and football player Michael Vick," Nike spokesman Dean Stoyer said.
    "He is rightfully presumed innocent and afforded the same due process as any citizen, rather than be tried in the court of public opinion.
    Nike will continue to monitor the situation, but has nothing further to say at this time."

    Guys, guys, guys.
    The presumption of innocence applies only to whether a person goes to jail, not to whether a guy should continue to endorse products for a major corporation.
    O.J. Simpson got his due process and was never convicted, but we doubt that he'll be getting a shoe deal from Nike (or from Bruno Magli).

    Besides, for a company that is hoping to sell athletic shoes and other products to the general public, the court of public opinion means everything.


    But, for Nike, the specific portion of the public about which it primarily is concerned (i.e., teenage boys who want to spend a lot of their parents' money on athletic shoes) either don't know about Vick's legal troubles, don't care, or think it gives him more street cred.

    We predict that the Humane Scoiety will take this thing to the next level, calling for all pet lovers to boycott Nike products.
    My guess is that Nike couldn't just dump him because of contract reasons.
    The airline company that dropped him just let his contract expire.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #8
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I don't care what they are saying now.
    If he was involved (that requires proof) then they will drop him like a hot potatoe.

    On a lighter note, I kindof like what they are doing here.
    Maybe a lawyer can help me out with lawyer speak.

    Innocent until proven guilty or something like that......... :
    No help from me..but it looks like you are getting spelling help from Dan Quayle!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I don't care what they are saying now.
    If he was involved (that requires proof) then they will drop him like a hot potatoe.

    On a lighter note, I kindof like what they are doing here.
    Maybe a lawyer can help me out with lawyer speak.

    Innocent until proven guilty or something like that......... :
    No help from me..but it looks like you are getting spelling help from Dan Quayle!
    http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Potato
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    OchoCinco's Avatar
    OchoCinco is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    770

    Re: Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick

    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Nike turns down Humane Society request to sack Vick[/size]


    FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) Nike has no plans to dump Michael Vick from its roster of celebrity athletes, turning aside a request from the national Humane Society to cut ties with the Atlanta Falcons quarterback over alleged ties to dogfighting....

    Cause they use the deceased dog carcasses to make his shoes.....

Similar Threads

  1. Nike plans to change NFL jerseys
    By VikesFan787 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-27-2010, 04:14 PM
  2. Brad Childress Nike Commercial What Should I Do?
    By PurpleGator in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM
  3. Just Saw AD in a NIke Commercial...
    By kevoncox in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 05:14 AM
  4. AD:Nike Football commercial
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
  5. Nike -NFL- Challenge
    By Vikes in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •