Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Nick Saban quits Phins?

Just saw the Press Conference of Saban standing in front of the Alabama backdrop accepting his new position as a college head coach.

IMHO, I think the guy quit on the phins.
    He was still building a program there and he just leaves.
    If I was a phins phan, I would be pissed.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Nick Saban quits Phins?

With the record that Saban had with the Phins, most Phins fans are ELATED that Saban left!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't understand why people get pissed when coaches leave their teams for what they percieve as a better job. Wouldn't you leave your job if someone offered you more money and more control? I think it's hypocritical to criticize a guy for leaving.

I don't blame Saban for leaving. He goes from the NFL where a coach's career expectancy is probably 3 years or less (for most guys) to Alabama where he is going to be paid more, he's going to be treated like a freaking celebrity and he's going to control the entire program. Plus, he'll get 2 or 3 free years to turn the program around.

I don't blame him one bit for leaving.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    With the record that Saban had with the Phins, most Phins fans are ELATED that Saban left!

Yeah, I agree Cajun... Its not like he lit it up in the win loss column in Miami.. The problem with bing the HC there is that everyone is going to compare you to Don Shula which is unfair from the get go...

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Those who read PFT regularly saw this coming almost 2 months ago.. Now that it's finally happened I can't say I'm surprised. There also was an interesting article on ESPN.com that discussed how the college game is just as alluring to coaches as the pro game. It made some interesting points.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"Ltrey" wrote:
    I don't understand why people get pissed when coaches leave their teams for what they percieve as a better job. Wouldn't you leave your job if someone offered you more money and more control? I think it's hypocritical to criticize a guy for leaving.

I don't blame Saban for leaving. He goes from the NFL where a coach's career expectancy is probably 3 years or less (for most guys) to Alabama where he is going to be paid more, he's going to be treated like a freaking celebrity and he's going to control the entire program. Plus, he'll get 2 or 3 free years to turn the program around.

Exactly.

Not to mention the Dolphins need a lot of work.

Their best players are Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor, and they're both going to retire within the next 2-3 years.

Everyone on their defensive line is 30 years or older and they need playmakers in the secondary.

And most importantly, they don't even know who their starting QB is going to be entering the 07/08 NFL season.

I agree that Saban should have told the Dolphins franchise that he was considering the Alabama job, but he definatley made the right decision for HIS future.

In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

take a job where you have at least 3-4 yrs of security or continue doing what your doing and risk getting fired after 1 year. and believe me, if he had another mediocre season next year he would have been fired by huizenga. besides the control of the program he also
    doesnt have to deal with the nfl type egos (Cpepp) that a lot of coaches have a hard time dealing with....even parcells heh?

"Ltrey" wrote:

I guess my point from my original post is that I don't blame him as much as I think he is a shifty SOB and feel sorry for Alabama.

And I would be pissed if I was a Phins Phan that he wasted 2 years there because "it wasn't really what he wanted" in a job.

He is a pompous jiggly butt.

I have no problem with a person that knows what they want.
    Hopefully he really really really wants the Bama job.

I can see what everyone is saying about the job security and the fact that the Phins need some work, but it is crappy of him to have taken the Phins job in the first place.

Williams went to the CFL, and DC is injured, and his team showed some promise mid season. They finish 6-10.

Oh ya, and Caddy breaks down mid season also.

Del Rio Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    I can see what everyone is saying about the job security and the fact that the Phins need some work, but it is crappy of him to have taken the Phins job in the first place.

Williams went to the CFL, and DC is injured, and his team showed some promise mid season. They finish 6-10.

Oh ya, and Caddy breaks down mid season also.
    I agree with you SIA. From figures on ESPN it looks like is making about 4mil per year. He makes that now.

I could care less that he left, it is the fact he told everyone repeatedly he wouldn't and then he did. That's a slap in the face to fans and players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast