NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

NFLTA Official Review

For you poor saps who don't get the NFL network and might not be familiar with Official Review, it is a segment on Total Access where Mike Pereira, the VP of NFL Officiating, comes on and highlights a few controversial plays and explains why the refs made the calls they did.

In the past it has taken a lot of heat because it seemed like he was always making excuses for ref's bad calls.
    But so far this year I have seen something a little different.
    While he is still pretty good about picking at least one unpopular call and explaining why the ref got it right, he has also called out an official for making the wrong call several times.

I don't know if this will continue into the regular season or if it is just for the preseason, but I like it.
    A lot.
    Shows us that Pereira doesn't have his head in the sand when the officiating team makes a mistake, and makes them more accountable IMHO.
    Anyone else think it will continue in the same format during the regular season, or do you think he will go back to not publicly acknowledging mistakes like the league has done for years?

FYI, you can also see every episode of Official Review on the new NFL.com.
    Check out http://www.nfl.com/videos and choose Official Review on the left hand side.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFLTA Official Review

I've watched that show several times and you are right. He is not defending the ref as much this year. Good post!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

They talked about some rule changes and points of emphasis that I had somehow missed this offseason, so here they are. I'll list them under the episode of official review where they were discussed, so you can see the examples they showed.

[size=12pt]NFLTA: Official Review 8/15[/size]
    - Green dots for QB helmets w/speakers (more than one on field at same time = unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yds)
    - WR Possesion of a football - taken away the "football act". Two feet down and control of the ball = possession. If the ball comes out after that, it's a catch-fumble.

[size=12pt]NFLTA: Official Review[/size]
    - spiking the ball on the field of play is now a delay of game penalty (5 yard penalty from the result of the play). Doesn't apply in the endzone or out of bounds.
    - Goal line no longer "goes around the world". The ball has to cross the plane of the goal within bounds (has to be inside or over the pylon). The rule is now consistant - the ball is spotted where it goes out of bounds.
    - They've moved the umpire from the middle of the defensive backfield to the offensive backfield. They're only doing this for two weeks of this preseason. They'll make a decision on it for 2008's regular season after this season is complete.

[size=12pt]NFLTA: Official Review 8/22[/size]
    - Clarified the spike rule mentioned in the previous video.
    - talked about the rules governing an onside kick. (the ball has to go 10 yards. It doesn't matter where the player is)

[size=12pt]NFLTA: Official Review 8/29[/size]
    - talked more about what they learned from moving the umpire.
    - Went over the tuck rule again.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good break down josdin.
    I still hate the tuck rule. Grrrrr.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"josdin00" wrote:
    They talked about some rule changes and points of emphasis that I had somehow missed this offseason, so here they are. I'll list them under the episode of official review where they were discussed, so you can see the examples they showed.

[size=12pt]NFLTA: Official Review 8/15[/size]
    - Green dots for QB helmets w/speakers (more than one on field at same time = unsportsmanlike conduct, 15 yds)
    - WR Possesion of a football - taken away the "football act". Two feet down and control of the ball = possession. If the ball comes out after that, it's a catch-fumble.

[size=12pt]NFLTA: Official Review[/size]
    - spiking the ball on the field of play is now a delay of game penalty (5 yard penalty from the result of the play). Doesn't apply in the endzone or out of bounds.
    - Goal line no longer "goes around the world". The ball has to cross the plane of the goal within bounds (has to be inside or over the pylon). The rule is now consistant - the ball is spotted where it goes out of bounds.
    - They've moved the umpire from the middle of the defensive backfield to the offensive backfield. They're only doing this for two weeks of this preseason. They'll make a decision on it for 2008's regular season after this season is complete.

[size=12pt]NFLTA: Official Review 8/22[/size]
    - Clarified the spike rule mentioned in the previous video.
    - talked about the rules governing an onside kick. (the ball has to go 10 yards. It doesn't matter where the player is)

[size=12pt]NFLTA: Official Review 8/29[/size]
    - talked more about what they learned from moving the umpire.
    - Went over the tuck rule again.

Thanks for the post, informative read.

Does this mean QB's can't spike the ball anymore if they are out of TO's?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"C" wrote:
    Thanks for the post, informative read.

Does this mean QB's can't spike the ball anymore if they are out of TO's?
    No, the new rule only applies after the play has been blown dead.

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

I have seen that segment and hope they continue it. One recent segment showed a play in the Vikes vs. Seahawks game. The umpire in the offensive backfield was unable to see a defensive holding which cost the Vikes a sack. Pereira said something about a review, but it did not sound like he thought moving the umpire was such a good idea.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

the guy does a good job. these group of refs are the best of the professional sports in the country
    We're bringing purple back.

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

I like it and hope they continue doing it.