Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL's best small hitters

"singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    The truth is Winfield is great against a dink and dunk offense. Look at the way he pursues the ball carrier on every play. Dink and dunk is like playing a run game through passes. It's so valuable to have a guy who can go out there and put a lick on that guy who's fighting for that extra yard on a screen pass or slant. No, Winfield is not the best in coverage but he sure as hell knows how to stop the guy with the ball.

Watch him next game. As soon as he sees that the guy he's covering isn't getting the ball, he's on the person who is. Unfortunately this doesn't generate too many INT's but he gets a ton of tackles for it.
    Very true, but he still gives up catches & not YAC. Why do you think they targeted Smoot last year & Griffin this year?

Even if Winfield only gives up short 5 yard passes, w/o YAC, it only takes two of those to move the sticks.

They need to play more man-on-man to help prevent that.

A good DB like Winfield will be able to stay with the WR.
    I agree we need to play some man to man. I am not too happy with Griffin. To me he seems lost out there. I have a feeling if he plays man to man, he will get torched.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    The truth is Winfield is great against a dink and dunk offense. Look at the way he pursues the ball carrier on every play. Dink and dunk is like playing a run game through passes. It's so valuable to have a guy who can go out there and put a lick on that guy who's fighting for that extra yard on a screen pass or slant. No, Winfield is not the best in coverage but he sure as hell knows how to stop the guy with the ball.

Watch him next game. As soon as he sees that the guy he's covering isn't getting the ball, he's on the person who is. Unfortunately this doesn't generate too many INT's but he gets a ton of tackles for it.
    Very true, but he still gives up catches & not YAC. Why do you think they targeted Smoot last year & Griffin this year?

Even if Winfield only gives up short 5 yard passes, w/o YAC, it only takes two of those to move the sticks.

I agree we need to play some man to man. I am not too happy with Griffin. To me he seems lost out there. I have a feeling if he plays man to man, he will get torched.
    I do too, but you'd think they'd at least take that 10 yards they are playing off the WR & cut it down to 5. There's got to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

There is way too many passes being caught rather than being knocked away.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I think they need to get Griff to be more physical.
    Play bump off the LOS.
    If he can't do it get someone else.
    The problem they are having now with pass defense is because they give up too many yards from the beginning of the play.
    Play bump and physical and watch that part of the defense improve.
    We have the pass rush now to make that style of play work.

"singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I do too, but you'd think they'd at least take that 10 yards they are playing off the WR & cut it down to 5. There's got to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

There is way too many passes being caught rather than being knocked away.
    You think they would but what do we know.
    : Playing that far off is killing us on the slants and comebacks. More teams will see this and slice up our D all day.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Agreed.
    If nothing else, why not just try it out in practice, and if there's a reasonable amount of success, then use it for, say, a series during an actual game?
    If it doesn't work, then just go back to the other scheme.
    Better yet...gameplan for the opponents who it's most likely to work on.
    I'm sure we wouldn't want Griffin going man-to-man with a speedy #2 receiver, so if we're going up against a team that has a depth of talent in their WR corps, then switch back to a zone coverage scheme.

"renovikesfan" wrote:

Agreed.
    If nothing else, why not just try it out in practice, and if there's a reasonable amount of success, then use it for, say, a series during an actual game?
    I'm sure we wouldn't want Griffin going man-to-man with a speedy #2 receiver, so if we're going up against a team that has a depth of talent in their WR corps, then switch back to a zone coverage scheme.
    Yet another reason why I am doubting our coaching staff.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

Hey, Bob Sanders is number two.
    He lived in Erie PA. Where i live.
    I know his neice.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"renovikesfan" wrote:

Agreed.
    Kindof of a wrong perception that we don't play the press.
    In fact we do, I saw it several times last game and the game before that.

Guess what, CB's (McCauley/Griffin) got burned.

Why did that happen?
    Poor play call at the wrong time?
    Offense recognizing the mismatch and making an adjustment?
    Young CB's not pressing enough, bumped wrong or just blew the tackle?

Unfortunately I think it is a little bit of all of the above, with a lot of problems because of youth.
    Again, back to the whole learning on the job thing.

McCauley and Griff will get better after they feel the pain of plays like that.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "renovikesfan" wrote:

Agreed.

Why did that happen?

Unfortunately I think it is a little bit of all of the above, with a lot of problems because of youth.

;D
    We're talking about playing 5 yards back, not on the line man-to-man. If 10 yards is too far, start shortening it up a bit to see what works best. It will change from week to week based off the speed of the WR's & what they are doing.

We can't continue to continuously give up those 5-10 yard passes, we are being eaten alive by them. Do you get the LB's more involved with those? Is that their zone?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "renovikesfan" wrote:

Agreed.

Why did that happen?

;D
    We're talking about playing 5 yards back, not on the line man-to-man. If 10 yards is too far, start shortening it up a bit to see what works best. It will change from week to week based off the speed of the WR's & what they are doing.

We can't continue to continuously give up those 5-10 yard passes, we are being eaten alive by them. Do you get the LB's more involved with those? Is that their zone?
    Dallas is going to eat this pass defense up. Hopefully Chilly will change his gameplan for the Dallas game. If we play the same way against the WRs as we did in the Packer game, look out, 5 TDs for Romo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast