Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

NFL's best small hitters

[size=12pt]NFL's best small hitters[/size]

....coming in at #1....Winfield.

[img width=450 height=540]http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0710/best.small.hitter.nfl/images/winfield(2).jpg[/img]
    While it may be true that you can't teach size, bigger does not always translate to better in the NFL, where technique, smarts and a willingness to use one's body as a weapon can fell the most imposing of Goliaths. Herewith, the most ferocious undersized players in the NFL.

A press-coverage connoisseur, the ninth-year veteran is perhaps the most physical cover corner in the league. Winfield's run support is unequaled at his position, which is why he has amassed more than 95 tackles in three of the last four seasons and had eight tackles for loss in 2006.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL's best small hitters

He is a great tackler but I think he let's up too many catches in front of him.
    JMO.
    I still love the way the guy plays.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ejmat" wrote:
    JMO.
    EJ, you think that might be attributed to the scheme?
    Also, we can already see that teams go after Griff vice Winfield.
    Is it because Griff is so bad or Winfield is just so much better.

Might be a little of both but I still feel he is worth every penny we pay him and I'm glad he is on the field as a Vike and not against us.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    JMO.

Might be a little of both but I still feel he is worth every penny we pay him and I'm glad he is on the field as a Vike and not against us.

;D

Mostly I believe it's the scheme. They have the DB's playing too far off the WR's way to often to prevent the long ball. It happened to Smoot last year & he took the flack for it here when he was just playing his zone. Now you see it happening to Griffin & even Winfield. The difference being, Winfield comes up, pursues the WR & tackles him whereas I don't see that from Griffin.

People can say all they want, that it's junk yards, less than 10 yards & they aren't giving up the big yards.

But guess what? Isn't that what a WCO offense does? Dink & dunk & move the chains all the while having ball control.

That's exactly what has been happening to us. Opponents have been nickle & diming us to death & outscoring us because it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Winfield makes our very good young corners Grif, and McCauley look bad, as other teams attack them exclusively. They are good corners learning under fire. The Tampa Two scheme we run gives up underneath plays, we just have to wrap them up, and get more pressure on the QB, as that has been the problem for the last couple seasons. Inconsistent pass rush. It is getting better, but it must take another step.

Watching Winfield come up and make plays is awesome. Pound for pound he is the best tackler I've seen on the Viking squad since Joey Browner.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    JMO.

;D

Mostly I believe it's the scheme. They have the DB's playing too far off the WR's way to often to prevent the long ball. It happened to Smoot last year & he took the flack for it here when he was just playing his zone. Now you see it happening to Griffin & even Winfield. The difference being, Winfield comes up, pursues the WR & tackles him whereas I don't see that from Griffin.

People can say all they want, that it's junk yards, less than 10 yards & they aren't giving up the big yards.

But guess what? Isn't that what a WCO offense does? Dink & dunk & move the chains all the while having ball control.

That's exactly what has been happening to us. Opponents have been nickle & diming us to death & outscoring us because it.
    I can agree that it's the scheme.
    However before we went to the Cover 2 Winfield still allowed a lot of catches.
    Just the way it is.
    i like the way Winfield plays.
    I think he's good.
    But it seems regardless of the scheme he does allow a lot of catches.
    He's awesome against the run.
    He's great on not giving up the big play.
    I have no argument there.
    All I'm saying is he allows a lot of catches in front of him.

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    JMO.

;D

Very good point(s) my friend.

Winfield is a great guy against a WC type of Offense as he does give up the dink/dunk pass but there is no YAC.
    That is huge as the WCO is predicated on YAC when it comes to softening up a D and moving the ball.

AS for Griff, he does give up the YAC as he doesn't tackle as good as Winfield, however, he is getting the experience that will allow him to also become a better tackler which in turn prevents/stops the YAC.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

The truth is Winfield is great against a dink and dunk offense. Look at the way he pursues the ball carrier on every play. Dink and dunk is like playing a run game through passes. It's so valuable to have a guy who can go out there and put a lick on that guy who's fighting for that extra yard on a screen pass or slant. No, Winfield is not the best in coverage but he sure as hell knows how to stop the guy with the ball.

Watch him next game. As soon as he sees that the guy he's covering isn't getting the ball, he's on the person who is. Unfortunately this doesn't generate too many INT's but he gets a ton of tackles for it.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    The truth is Winfield is great against a dink and dunk offense. Look at the way he pursues the ball carrier on every play. Dink and dunk is like playing a run game through passes. It's so valuable to have a guy who can go out there and put a lick on that guy who's fighting for that extra yard on a screen pass or slant. No, Winfield is not the best in coverage but he sure as hell knows how to stop the guy with the ball.

Watch him next game. As soon as he sees that the guy he's covering isn't getting the ball, he's on the person who is. Unfortunately this doesn't generate too many INT's but he gets a ton of tackles for it.
    Adequately articulated my friend.

You just gotta learn how to fit "YAC" into your posts.
    Kidding........
    I like typing YAC.
    ;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Very true, but he still gives up catches & not YAC. Why do you think they targeted Smoot last year & Griffin this year?

Even if Winfield only gives up short 5 yard passes, w/o YAC, it only takes two of those to move the sticks.

They need to play more man-on-man to help prevent that.

A good DB like Winfield will be able to stay with the WR.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast