Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

NFL won't let church show game

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2006/02/01/bc.fbn.superbowl.church.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

OK I need this explained to me. I can underestand that if the church was chrging to show the gme then yes. But how is just showing the game different than people that go to a sports bar and watch it? Is there a liscence I assume that the bars have to get?

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: NFL won't let church show game

If I ever meet some of these NFL execs, there is a good chance I will hit one of them in the face.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

There is an exemption given to the bars because they regularly show sports games.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league's long-standing policy is to ban "mass out-of-home viewing" of the Super Bowl. An exception is made for sports bars and other businesses that show televised sports as a part of their everyday operations.

"We have contracts with our (TV) networks to provide free over-the-air television for people at home," Aiello said. "The network economics are based on television ratings and at-home viewing. Out-of-home viewing is not measured by Nielsen."
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

There's a Florio take on this posted in the SB thread.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Del Rio Guest

The article gave a few reasons, one of which was "law limits it to one TV no bigger than 55 inches"

Maybe the whole bar/church thing has something to do with taxes. Churches not having any.

I really have no problem with this. I imagine if I had an ad on the web saying hey come watch the superbowl on a projector they would say no.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe the NFL should try cleaning up their own messes rather than meddling into others that they really will get a black eye over.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

If you're stupid enough to not be able to pull this off without the NFL knowing about it you don't deserve to play the SB for the masses.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Had they not advertised the "Super Bowl" bash on their website, the NFL would have never found out.
    The NFL routinely searches for organizations using the copyrighted term in advertising.
    That is why most companies refer to it as "The Big Game".

I understand that the NFL can't easily make exceptions for a church without being challenged by other organizations too.
    But I also think the church had a decent idea of providing a safe, alcohol free environment for families to watch the game.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

There are big screen bashes all over the place in these parts for the SB that are at private facilities.
    They are just smart enough to advertise by word of mouth.
    The only flaw is if some moron talks about it on the Internet and they find out
    :-X.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Yes, but also guys...Since when does "GOD" prophet from football.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast