Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

NFL will revise the way teams report on injuries

[size=13pt]NFL will revise the way teams report on injuries[/size]

Old system is being revamped because coaches didn't trust reports last season.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL will revise the way teams report on injuries

"cogitans" wrote:
    [size=13pt]NFL will revise the way teams report on injuries[/size]

Old system is being revamped because coaches didn't trust reports last season.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Ahhhh yes - the Belichek Effect.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

What does this fix?

So you don't practice Tom Brady the guy who has been running your offense for years and then list him as doubtful and play him anyway.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Del" wrote:
    What does this fix?

So you don't practice Tom Brady the guy who has been running your offense for years and then list him as doubtful and play him anyway.
    That would only work one week every once in a while, and then only with players of Brady's caliber.
    You can't sit Brady out of practice the entire season.
    However, he was on the injury report for the majority of last season with a "shoulder" injury.

This will make the injury report somewhat more meaningful, but it still isn't going to be an binding list by any means.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    What does this fix?

That would only work one week every once in a while, and then only with players of Brady's caliber.
    You can't sit Brady out of practice the entire season.
    However, he was on the injury report for the majority of last season with a "shoulder" injury.

This will make the injury report somewhat more meaningful, but it still isn't going to be an binding list by any means.
    All they have to report are the last two days of practice. Wed Thur. He can go all out Tuesday and do the meetings and film like most injured players do anyway.

Plus players of his caliber are the ones scouted. No one cares if joe blow plays or not.

I just think they had an opportunity to do something better and this falls short of my idea of an effective rule change.

It may work who knows just sounds like it can be easily avoided. Like the NFL tossed out a bandaid just to shut people up instead of actually trying to improve the situation.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

I'm not sure it's really a problem in the first place.

So what? Coaches exaggerate who is or isn't hurt. I would think as a coach you would want to gameplan for any likely scenario. Even if the star player is injured, who's to say that the nobody coming in off the bench hasn't been preparing to tear you a new asshole? OK, so that may not be terribly likely, but these are NFL players, not Arena League players, so it's still in the realm of possibility. And if you haven't prepared for that possibility, you're going to get toasted.

Basically, coaches lie, and the other coaches know they lie. If everyone's in on the little game, is anyone really at a disadvantage?

Furthermore, the thing that would worry me the most about a more serious rule change is that if players were listed as say, "doubtful" on Friday (even if they legitimately were doubtful), they could be forced to sit out the game even if they felt up to playing by Sunday. Well, then again, I doubt the NFLPA would ever let such a thing transpire anyways.

So if this really is a problem, what is a legitimate solution?

"The" wrote:

So what? Coaches exaggerate who is or isn't hurt. I would think as a coach you would want to gameplan for any likely scenario. Even if the star player is injured, who's to say that the nobody coming in off the bench hasn't been preparing to tear you a new asshole? OK, so that may not be terribly likely, but these are NFL players, not Arena League players, so it's still in the realm of possibility. And if you haven't prepared for that possibility, you're going to get toasted.

Basically, coaches lie, and the other coaches know they lie. If everyone's in on the little game, is anyone really at a disadvantage?

Furthermore, the thing that would worry me the most about a more serious rule change is that if players were listed as say, "doubtful" on Friday (even if they legitimately were doubtful), they could be forced to sit out the game even if they felt up to playing by Sunday. Well, then again, I doubt the NFLPA would ever let such a thing transpire anyways.

I would think that a stiff fine for lying and some stronger ground rules laid in determining accuracy. Such as varifiable reports from NFL Doctors not team doctors. It would essentially be the same as getting a letter allowing you to miss work. Only it would be run through the NFL.

Because frankly if what you say is the way it is then why have it? Do it right or don't do it.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Del" wrote:
    "The" wrote:

I would think that a stiff fine for lying and some stronger ground rules laid in determining accuracy. Such as varifiable reports from NFL Doctors not team doctors. It would essentially be the same as getting a letter allowing you to miss work. Only it would be run through the NFL.

Because frankly if what you say is the way it is then why have it? Do it right or don't do it.
    Basically, that's what I'm in favor of: doing nothing. I guess I just don't see it as a problem. I could probably be convinced otherwise if someone were to present a strong enough argument, but I just figure that everyone knows there's exaggerating going on, so it's not like anyone has a competitive advantage.

I think your solution of bringing in official NFL doctors, if they really wanted to change this behavior, seems like a pretty good one...which means of course that there's no way in hell the NFL will ever implement it.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Moving the kickoff in overtime from the 35 to the 30-yard line. The proposal is aimed at curbing a growing trend toward teams that win the coin toss in overtime.

I am lost with this maybe somebody can help me out.

When I read the first part I thought they were making it easier for the teams that win the coin toss to win, but then I read the second part and it sounds like they want to make it tougher for the team that wins the coin toss.

I couldn't remember if they kickoff from the 30 or 35 in overtime already, if it is from the 35 then it makes it harder on the team receiving and if it is from the 30 it makes it tougher for the kicking team.

I am lost can somebody help me out?

As far as the injury reporting if you only have to report Wed & Thursday practices what if you are playing a Thursday game away?
    You travel on Wednesday so they will have nothing reported before the game.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

I think all the coaches take the injury reports with a grain of salt....the group that really pours over this report are the Vegas odds makers when projecting the over/under for each week.
    There is a lot of money funnelling through the betting and this is probably were most of the noise about the system is coming from.
    Of course the league won't admit that it is condoning this.
    I remember several years ago the NHL was up in arms over the sports betting until they settled on licensing fees for league and team logos then they dropped the whole issue and who knows how much revenue the NFL draws from this same source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast