Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

NFL vs. unruly fans: League out to protect game day experience

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...nfl-fans_N.htm

[size=12pt]NFL vs. unruly fans: League out to protect game day experience[/size]
    Updated 13h 15m ago
    By Michael McCarthy, USA TODAY

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — New York Jets fan Luke Maxson says the NFL's push to crack down on drunken and disruptive fans by limiting tailgating to 3½ hours before each game might be the "final nail" that makes him give up his 16 season tickets.

Maxson, an ad executive from Mahopac, N.Y., and his brother Dave already are exchanging their lower-level seats for upper-deck seats at New York's new $1.6 billion stadium next season to avoid paying tens of thousands of dollars in personal seat license fees. He calls tailgating limits a money grab by teams wanting to force fans to pay for food and drink inside stadiums. If the NFL and its teams are so worried about drunken fans, they should drop alcohol sales and sponsorships, he said before the Jets' game Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"They can't have it both ways and maintain the loyalty of fans," says Maxson, 60, whose tailgate crew brings a portable bar with two beer taps, four tents, satellite TV and a camper to each Jets home game.
    My personal experience has been that I have NOT seen very many loutish fans at the Dome, nor have I seen people who are too drunk at every game.
    There are isolated incidents, but cutting it down to 3.5 hours won't change that.
    Might make it worse, IMHO, as people try to cram the same amount of drinking into a smaller period of time.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Re: NFL vs. unruly fans: League out to protect game day experience

Okay - now that I've read the article, it is a RECOMMENDATION that teams limit tailgating to 3.5 hours before game time, NOT a rule.

The NFL's recommendations

The clubs deciding to pass on some of the league's suggestions offer a variety of reasons. A look at teams' compliance with some of the league office's fan-conduct recommendations:

•Tailgating time limits. The Dallas Cowboys and Broncos don't see enough reason to change. They continue to open parking lots as long as five hours before kickoff.

The Cowboys have "not experienced a large number of problems from tailgating" at owner Jerry Jones' new $1.1 billion stadium, team spokesman Brett Daniels says. "We understand the league guidelines and try to work with them as much as we can. But we have to make some exceptions."

The Broncos don't "disagree" with shorter tailgating, says Mac Freeman, senior vice president of business development. But they "haven't seen tailgating really cause binge drinking" around Invesco Field at Mile High.

Other clubs defer to the public entities that own and operate their home stadiums. The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority — which operates Giants Stadium, the only venue to host two NFL teams — cut tailgating before Jets and New York Giants game to five hours from seven in 2008 and sees no need to reduce it further, authority spokesman John Samerjan says.

The Cardinals, Bears, Buffalo Bills and San Francisco 49ers say cutting tailgating to 3½ hours would create traffic nightmares.

"Our local law enforcement agencies have strongly recommended to us to open our lots five hours prior to the games due to traffic patterns," says Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold.

Time limits only penalize tailgaters who are more interested in food and friendship than they are in booze, says Jets fan Victor Russomano. "The problem's not with tailgaters; it's with irresponsible people."
    =Z=

I touched on this earlier this morning, from that same usa today article. I wasn't sure about whether there was already a thread on it, so i only mentioned it in the seahawks-vikes tailgate thread.

Logic tells you it won't really matter. But, it will be kind of a bummer in the case of a monday, late sunday or sunday night game.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

"STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" wrote:
    I touched on this earlier this morning, from that same usa today article. I wasn't sure about whether there was already a thread on it, so i only mentioned it in the seahawks-vikes tailgate thread.

Logic tells you it won't really matter. But, it will be kind of a bummer in the case of a monday, late sunday or sunday night game.
    As noted above - it's a RECOMMENDATION, not a rule.

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I can understand the RECOMMENDATION (for you Z) in places like NY or Philly where there is a history of problems with drunk fans.
    Minny doesn't have a lot of problems with this, so I don't think it is going to be an issue for us at all.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=